Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 21:26

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 235/138/130
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default induction

i've been on a carb restricted diet forever but i never started with the induction. I read the akins book but skimmed over the induction parts. Anyway I am stalling and i've missplaced my akins book. I was wondering if anyone can give me examples of their food intake during induction.

I believe that the reason why im stalling is because A:I eat like a 250 pound man. I can out eat everyone. This diet as well as working out keeps me from gaining weight but my overeating does not help me loose. I've always been obsessed with food and this diet although it has helped me loose a ton of weight has not helped me to be less hungry or less in love with eating. That's why I plan to restrict my carbs for the rest of my life.

B: I'm having too many meal replacement bars, peanut butter, rice cakes(10 g carb) and smart food popcorn bags. (9 g carb)

Jaime's meals today

B: Rice cake with veggie creamcheese
L: Wendy's blt salad with salsa and blue cheese dressing
S: Bowl of low carb pasta with cheese sauce
D: Chef salad with extra roast beef, turkey, and swiss cheese
S: three sugar free ice pops
S: Frozen cool whip
S: Peanut Butter

I eat like this everyday

I did free weights, 200 crunches, and rollerbladed three miles.

But I digress.....The point is, I want to look svelt in my wedding dress and I feel like the induction will give me a boost considering I don't feel like I can reduce my food intake. Any info on induction is appreciated.

All I know about induction is that one should limit the carbs to 20 a day.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 17:10

Plan: Pregnant
Stats: 318.5/276/190 Female 5 9
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Jaime
Well the good news is that your stall can be corrected--or at least it shouldnt be tough for you.
During induction ALL those foods such as low carb pasta, low carb browines, sugar free ice pops or popcorn etc should be avoided. NO rice cakes either!
BUT....
You can eat:

Eggs, sausage, bacon, chicken, fish, meat, steak, broccoli, cauliflower, butter and "whole" foods. For the first few weeks on induction, I think (note: my opinion) you cant eat all that low carb stuff like the pasta and ice pops. It will stall you.

Up your water intake too. That will help. You have to flush all that sugar out of your body. I think that even though the things you are eating are "low carb" they are still keeping a bit too many carbs and sugar around yoru body. You should average about 20 g carbs on induction.

Feel free to stop by my journal if you ever want to chit chat. I hope this helps. It is helping me. Ive been LC for about a month and lost 13 lbs and many many inches. I dont eat anything that you mentioned. THe worst thing I eat is after day 16 I started having peanut butter as a treat (7g carbs)

Vicki
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 21:58

BF:
Default Thanks

Thank you. Very helpful. I started the sort of induction yesterday and I've lost 2 more pounds. I haven't followed the induction to the book but i've cut down on a lot of the things that were stalling me. I can deal without the pasta light but I feel i do need something to keep me regular. This diet is not rich in fiber. I can cut out the low carb bars and restrict the low carb chocolate bars and the pop corn and the rice cakes but I will never ever ever give up my coffee and equal.

btw, thank you for replying. Such caring people here
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 07:35

BF:

Jaime
Hello! You dont have to give up your coffee. I know many MANY people on here write that they drink coffee regularly in their journal. I think that caffeine COULD cause a stalling point, but to many it doesnt.
I drink about 3-5 diet cokes a day and I am tryig to cut down but I love my diet coke.

Also--you dont have to give up the pasta, etc....just dont eat it for those first 2 weeks. Then you can slowly add them back into your menu!!!

Good luck!!!

Vicki
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 08:03
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I would advise that you cut out the rice cakes, popcorn, and cool whip completely. The popcorn is 9g per serving.... how many servings are in a bag???

Try to eat foods that are high in protein and if you have to have sweets, make it in the form of a little fruit or berries, rather than empty calories such as rice cakes.

Try some cottage cheese, sliced strawberries & splenda. Have you tried protein shakes w/ added flax oil (good EFA's) and psyllium (fiber) for breakfast or evening snack? Get your fiber from vegetables like broccoli and spinach or a handful of nuts! Take a look at our kitchen sub-forum for some good ideas and stay away from the empty calories!! Your metabolism will thank you for it!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 16:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Jaime..

Low carb isn't very high in fiber they way you've been doing it. You should be eating a lot more veggies than you've been eating, preferably high fiber ones like spinach and broccoli (besides, those rice cakes and smart pops aren't adding much fiber, either). Raw veggies are also a bit higher in fiber than cooked ones. I agree with Teri...loose the rice cakes and the smart pops and add some more veggies. Something else, too....no peanut butter or nuts on induction, but you can add them back in once you're past the induction stage and limit cheese to no more than 4 oz. a day. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 16:57

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default My 2 cents

You could probably get back to losing again by simply cutting out those LC bars - they are notorious stallers (while they usually wont cause you to gain).

Adequate water and whole natural foods should get you where you need to be. I would not restrict calories overly, however. If you're active and if tweaking the types of foods you're eating do the trick, why restrict calories? There is nothing wrong with having a big appetite!

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 20:19

BF:
Default I totally messed up! $#%$^

Btw, thanks for all the advise but I've been awful

well, I went on the induction for two days and I couldn't handle it! It's not that i was being toutured but i was irritable to everyone and after 2 days, I started on the rice cakes and pop corn again. I didn't mean to break the induction, I just conviently forgot about it. Not only that but I had an ice cream cone yesterday and 10 barbeque chicken wings today...oh yes, 2 cookies. I've been a nut junkie. Not only have I givin up on induction, I've fallen off the wagon. I'm combing bacon cheese burgers with cookies!!!!

I can actually feel myself gaining weight. I mean, I lost 100 pounds. You would think I would be a temple of restraint.
I don't think I'm going to go on induction again. I will however, continue my wol, eat more raw veggies, and cut down on those low carb bars. I will continue to eat a rice cake for breakfast once a week. It's only 6 gm. of carbs and I like smoked salmon cream cheese on it.

Oh....I'm so mad at myself. Whats wrong with me? You all seem to do so well. I mean, I read your posts and see what you eat and i realize that even on my best day, I'm still eating way more carbs than what you post. I know that I should use this place for inspiration and you inspire me but I know that I can't live up to the wol. I mean, I don't even drink water. I'm beginning to think that I lost a 100 pounds out of luck.

Just venting! So pissed at myself. Maybe this binging on carbs is a passive aggressive way of striking out against the wol. I mean, it's expensive. I'm teacher and it's summer and it's a lot cheeper to grab a slice of pizza than it is to buy a wendys blt salad. Maybe it's because when everyone wants icecream, I have to watch them chow down on flavors like Birthday Cake and Choclate Grasshopper.

There's a lot of good in low carbing. I never get sick...I look good, I have enegry. It's a great healthy way of life but lets face it, this diet has deprevation. It has flaws. Or maybe this country just has flaws because it seems like everywhere I look, there are high carb taisty foods being offered everywhere.

I know i'm going on and on. You need not read any further. I just feel I must get this out. I'm a rebel by nature. I guess I started this diet partly because I though that eating steak and losing weight was sort of on the edge. Now my rebellious nature seems like it's trying to revolt against all these strict rules. I won't let it bring me down though. I was 235 pounds. I'm not going back there again.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 08:01
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Maybe this binging on carbs is a passive aggressive way of striking out against the wol. I mean, it's expensive. I'm teacher and it's summer and it's a lot cheeper to grab a slice of pizza than it is to buy a wendys blt salad. Maybe it's because when everyone wants icecream, I have to watch them chow down on flavors like Birthday Cake and Choclate Grasshopper....

..... It's a great healthy way of life but lets face it, this diet has deprevation. It has flaws. Or maybe this country just has flaws because it seems like everywhere I look, there are high carb taisty foods being offered everywhere.

Ok, this is totally "dime-store psychology", but my first impression is that there's something going on in your head that you need to get sorted out. Sure, we all get tired of resisting temptation all the time....it's a war and we have to always be strong!! It's much easier to be lazy and just grab a slice of pizza. I like being lazy!! Don't feel like you are alone there. But there can also be a lot of issues around getting to goal, being attractive again, getting attention that you didn't used to get, etc. It's a major adjustment in your psyche. If you can afford it, I'd definitely suggest a little therapy or a support group of some kind. I'd hate to see you undo all your hard work!!

Nothing worth having ever comes easy.

Perhaps if you look around you can buddy up with some other members who've reached goal (or even nearing it) and are facing the same issues.... it's not uncommon.

Best of luck to you and remember that we're here to support you in all phases.... just whistle!

--Added this edit... thought this thread may help you... Before you Cheat

Last edited by TeriDoodle : Tue, Jul-23-02 at 08:42.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 08:14

BF:

Hello
First off, I dont think you lose 100 lbs from luck !!!! Dont put yourself down so much! Everyone has crappy days and you at least are recognizing you dont want to get back to the 200s! That is a start in itself.

I agree with Teri. You should read LILWANNABE journal. She is my friend and she was just talking the other day about how she feels weird since peopel are starting to notice her weight loss. Maybe you have a fear of losing or getting to your goal.

You also have to think of LC as a WAY OF LIFE...not a DIET. You arent just going to lose all your weight and then be able to eat pizza and ice cream again with everyone! Yes, it is more expensive, but (and not be negative) it will be VERY expensive to visit the Dr all the time for problems with your body if you eat all that high carb mess.

Give yourself some credit for coming this far. Go see a counselor or talk to someone about yoru internal issues-you might be able to resolve some of the "rebel" of this WOE.

Good luck
Vicki
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default A new plan...

Hello Further!

I'm STILL fat, up in the 200's. I want to be where you are now! WOW, you did it! But, ( I hate that word!) You've got to keep it. I have been thinking that will be a huge problem for me. I know I get the "I'm there, I did it" mentality and then all I hear is "LET THE EATING BEGIN!!!"....mmm, cake, here I come!!!! Really.

Some of the thoughts you spilled out on your posts here felt to me like they came right out of my head. Funny how many of us are so alike. (Except you're skinny now!!! )

Well, I'm not much into reading, but I'm serious about being thin forever. I have been reading "Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program" and I've also checked out some of the philosophies behind some of the other LC programs. Some of them seem so "liveable" for me. Where I can have my LC and my cake too! AHAAA!!! I think you might fare well from a program from that too.

The resources on this website are awesome and I would have probably thrown Atkins out the window already if I hadn't found it. If you go to the quick link for which low carb plan is right for me then I think know you will find some fabulous info on the basics of each plan. Maybe CALP is not the one for you (or me either) but it's totally worth investigating and developing a plan that we can stand forever.

I'm going to get down there in the 100's soon and I don't know how far Atkins will take me, so I plan to be prepared.

Good luck! - And way to go for what you've already done!!!

Carianne
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 18:44

BF:
Default thank you

Thanks again. I will read that journal. How do I acess it? Carianne, I remember when I was in the 200s and I thinking about what I had to lose was overwhelming. It took 2 years. I might have taken sooner were it not for the rice cakes, pop corn, and low carb bars but I'm glad I did it. Thank you for the web site info. I'm going to surf over there right now.

I'm not going to undo the damage. Like I said, I'm not going back. I'm not afraid of the scale anymore which means I am able to monitor my weight. I had lost the first sixty pounds in the first year and I had no idea how much weight I had lost because I wouldn't get on the scale. When I was at my heaviest, I wouldn't go to the doctor because I didnt want him to weigh me.

Carianne, in spite of my rant, this lifestyle really works. Everyone I've known who has stuck to this has lost weight. What you said about how a lot of the things I've typed are also in your head is inspiring. I'm not alone and neither are you.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi Further... had to put my two cents in when I saw your posts. Take it from someone who has lost the 90 pounds, then started back UP the scale when almost at goal. Now I have another 30 to go just to get back to where I left off when I started the "mind change". It took4 years to realize that in a little more time I would have been right where I started. Miserable and sick.

If you're hooked on the rice cakes, etc. and can't find a replacement for your snacks, fine...but I would suggest you try to shake up the menu a bit. Do some different, interesting things and make your meals a bit exciting - even on a budget!! Whatever it takes, do your best to at least MAINTAIN where you are right now - do NOT change things so that you begin to gain weight. If you're not losing at this stage of the game, then take a break from the frustration and enjoy the place you're at. You worked hard, you deserve it. When you get your gumption back full force, hit at the weight loss hard. Until then, appreciate the LC foods that we're allowed to have in abundance...keep the budget under control so you don't reach for fast food junk...a bag of pre-cut lettuce, real bleu cheese dressing, and some crumbled bacon sure beats anything from Wendy's!

I wish someone had stopped the trend I was on before I sabotaged myself...but alas, it was up to me to really sit and think it through, find new motivation and NOT go back!

Good luck to you.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 16:43

Plan: Following my own plan.
Stats: 294/218.0/160 Female 5'6
BF:40%
Progress: 57%
Talking

Thanks for the tip guys , Im going to try this No wonder IM stalling lol because I have been eating the low carb treats no more I was 213 now im 207 I want out of the 200's I can do it, we can do it