Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 05:46

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 155/115/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Starting Fat Fast on Monday

Hi Guys,
I posted in the tips and stalls section but haven't got much response. I am hoping someone can help me. I have been stalled for more than 5 weeks now. I am thinking of starting the fat fast or Stillmans on Monday for 3 or 4 days. Does anyone have any advice? Which one works better? I am frustrated with my stall, no weight or inches lost. I know I don't have much left to lose (about 20lbs) but I am becoming discouraged with no results. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Mel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 07:23
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

Why do you want to lose any more weight? You are already at a great weight for your height of 5'7". 115 sounds way too low, heck I am 5'3" and it would be too low even for me. The fat fast is for those people that are metbolically resistant and have a hard time losing weight normally. Dr. Atkins warns that if you aren't metabolically resistant it is dangerous to do the fat fast.

Debbie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 07:32

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 155/115/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 114%

Actually, I would like to be around 120/125. I felt healthiest at that weight and had the most energy. I still think 140 is to heavy for my body structure. We all know what feels comfortable on us and I am still uncomfortable with my weight. I do not however want to be underweight because of the health reprocussions. I am just frustrated by my stall and want to kick start it up again. Exercise does not seem to help nor does increasing or decreasing my carb intake.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 08:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi,
I am planning to start the FF tomorrow and do it for the next several days. I have never done Stillmans but I lose really well on the FF. I have not gained anything back either. My loss does slow down a lot after doing the FF though. I ease very carefully back into Induction after the FF. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 08:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
We all know what feels comfortable on us and I am still uncomfortable with my weight.

fireandice, unfortunately, our bodies also have ideas about where they feel healthy and what weight is good for them and they don't always jive with what we want. It may be that your body has decided that 140 is a good weight for you at this particular point in time (as opposed to several months or years ago) and it's going to fight your attempts to get any lower.
IMO, doing a fat fast in an effort to override what your body thinks is a healthy weight has the potential to backfire on you.
Since you are really so close to your goal weight, I'd advise that you skip the fat fasting and be patient with your body. Add some weight resistance training or other forms of exercise to tighten and tone and perhaps after a month or so, you'll find that 140 looks a lot better than you think on you.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 10:51

Plan: low-carb/low-cal
Stats: 145/140/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I'm thinking about doing the fat fast myself but I can't find info on it anywhere on the Atkins website. I know its there, cause I've seen it before. Can someone post a link if they have it. Thanks.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 10:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennLynnRN
I'm thinking about doing the fat fast myself but I can't find info on it anywhere on the Atkins website. I know its there, cause I've seen it before. Can someone post a link if they have it. Thanks.

It appears that the Atkins website has removed any and all links to the fat fast information. Why they did that is anyone's guess (although my guess would be that they have concerns that too many people are abusing it).
I believe the information can still be found in the last edition of DANDR that was published just prior to Dr. Atkins' death (2002 edition?).
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 11:01

BF:

Hmmm....I don't have that edition. If someone could type the allowed foods for fat fast, and the amount allowed, etc. it would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 12:02

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennLynnRN
Hmmm....I don't have that edition. If someone could type the allowed foods for fat fast, and the amount allowed, etc. it would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you!!

Looking at your stats, you are NOT the kind of person who needs to do a fat fast. It's for the extremely metabolic resistant... those who follow strict induction for the initial two weeks and lose little to no weight. Considering you are 60% of the way to your goal, I'm guessing that doesn't apply.

The Doctor continues to say that it is dangerous for those who aren't metabolic resistant. I don't recall if he said why, but I'm guessing it would slow down your metabolism, making it harder for you to lose in the long run.

If you want to speed things along, (don't we all?) consider changing the type or amount of exercise. I tend to do the same exercise most of the time (cycling), but when I change it up and do a little cross training I see better results. Also weight training is a huge benefit... but not immediate. You may actually gain a little when you start weight training due to water retention for rebuilding muscles, but bigger muscles burn more fat even at rest, so it's a big long term win.

--nw
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 12:18

BF:

Quote:
The Doctor continues to say that it is dangerous for those who aren't metabolic resistant. I don't recall if he said why, but I'm guessing it would slow down your metabolism, making it harder for you to lose in the long run.

The reason Dr. Atkins stated was that weight loss for those who were not metabolically resistant could be too fast to be safe.
I, too, wonder if resorting to such drastic measures isn't unwittingly sabotaging yourself. Our bodies are frustratingly good at adapting to all the tricks we throw at it to force the scale to a lower number. Using such fasts when they are really not needed may make a body even more resistant to losing making the problem worse in the long run, not better.
IMO, fat fasts, meat/egg fasts, etc...should only be used as a *last resort* when all other reasonable methods (such as cutting caffeine and low carb treats, asptartame, dairy, nuts and other obvious stallers), increasing exercise, using fitday to make sure that you are not eating way more than you really need and ensuring that you are following your plan correctly. It might also be a good idea to rule out any physical problems that could be hindering weight loss such as thyroid issues, medications or allergies.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 12:33

BF:

I see your points. I thought I'd give it a try to really jump start weight loss because I have been slacking this past week and feel gross! I get what you're both saying though, and will just stick to doing a strict induction. I'm impatient, what can I say?!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 16:26

Stats: 231/204/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Okay, so I know if you are wanting to do it...you're going to do it! I am on the 4th day of the fat fast and I feel just fine! Other than the fact that I would like to eat something different (I am not hungry at all). I also was stalled for about 5 weeks. So far I have only lost about 3 pounds, which is not near as much as what some others have, but I am sure it is not water weight, because I always drink a ton of water anyhow. SO I have eaten cream cheese (if you buy the block of philidelphia cream cheese, cut it into quarters and each one will be a "feeding" then I had 2 TBSP of Peanut putter (sugar free) for dinner. They also suggest that macedemia nuts are really good too, but DAMN they are expensive!! Good luck to you!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 18:06

BF:

Quote:
I also was stalled for about 5 weeks.

I'm a little confused, think_thin. According to your profile, you've been low carbing for less than a month (start date Feb 21, 2005).
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 18:24

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
It appears that the Atkins website has removed any and all links to the fat fast information. Why they did that is anyone's guess (although my guess would be that they have concerns that too many people are abusing it).
I believe the information can still be found in the last edition of DANDR that was published just prior to Dr. Atkins' death (2002 edition?).

I agree with that! It seems that every time I look at this forum someone is trying the fat fast, and usually people who are within 10-20 pounds of their goal, or even closer. I get the feeling that some folks are looking at it as a "quick weight loss" tool. I have pretty much slowed down in weight loss over the last few years. I have, however, had success with not diet, but exercise. Even though weight loss is tough and slow for me I wouldn't consider the fat fast. I am on maintenance, even though ideally I would like to shed a few more pounds. I do watch calories and I exercise intensely.

I firmly believe that the fat fast is for someone who is far from goal, following induction/OWL faithfully, is exercising, and still not shrinking. For those of us who are close to goal, patience and exercise are the key.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 12:14

Stats: 231/204/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

LISA N:

To be completely honest with you, when I filled out that profile I was rushing through it, and thought that it was for my own personal reference. If I were to be completely accurate I have started in January probably the 24th. This is not the first time I have done the low carbing, but it is the first time I have chosen to stick with it through thick and thin. Hope that clears it up for you...and I will be sure to change my profile so that it reads accurately for those who care!