Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 11:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/220/110
BF:
Progress: 21%
Question Xenical & Atkins

Hello!

Has anyone ever been on Xenical and the atkins at the same time? Has anyone heard of this?

I have been prescribed Xenical and on LC Carb diet............

any advise is greatly greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 18:51

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

I was prescribed xenical (very espensive here in oz about $130 for a month supply) ....... xenical is best used with a low `fat diet `as any fat you eat whilst on the xenical goes straight through you ( yes, as in spend the day with cramps on the toilet),,, the worrying thing i have about low carb and xenical together,,,is the fact that atkins is not about `low fat`,,,,, so therefore you would spend alot of time on the tolilet and loosing weight that way is very unhealthy. not to mention when you go off the xenical the weight goes back on so quick and doubles....... trust me,,, I have been there and done that,,, I got to the point where I could not go out and even passing gas would produce a specimen in my pants (sorry to be graphic ),,,, I would not go there again and do that for all the tea in china ,,, this low carb atkins diet has been a god send to me,, if I were you I would save ya money and try the atkins diet first - alone without the xenical....trust me .. I hope you will be as happy as me and will not need the xenical ,,, i have a journal if you would like to have a look and see at my success... good luck,,,best wishes.....
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:18

BF:

Thank you so much! i am so warmed by your honest response, makes sense

its expensive here also.......

Thank You!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 07:18
Registered Member

Stats: 174/170/140 Female 153cm or  60"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I lost over 10lb on Xenical but then it all came back again. Tried again a few months later and my body seemed to get used to it, after a while it did not work at all. And yes, the side-effects can be very unpleasant! Overall, I wasted a large sum of money.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 00:50

BF:

here here velvet,,, i second that
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 02:54
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

My god Xenical and Low carb eeek!! it dosent bear thinking about!! Dont do it I used it years ago and had losts of unpleasent accidents on it ( and that was eating low fat!!) Besides it aint god for you it strips your body of vitiam D and can cause blindness, I better your doctor didnt tell you that!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 06:52

BF:

Wow nope he didnt say that

Thanks peeps!!!!!

greatly appreciated!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 07:15
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffering
Wow nope he didnt say that

Thanks peeps!!!!!

greatly appreciated!

No neither did mine It wasnt till I went to see a specalist about my weight I found out!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 09:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Yes ... think about it ... If the drug prevents the absorption of fat, then it's also going to prevent the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. Not just vitamin D, but also A and E ... and the essential fatty acids, omega-3's etc Hardly worth the long-term health risks for the small weight loss benefit. I've read the medical studies about xenical -- the average weight lost is little more 10% over 6 months, and it comes back when you stop taking the drug

I prefer to lose weight slowly and permanently by eating and fully absorbing my food and nutrients, rather than by taking a chemical that blocks not only potential calories but also blocks nutrients that are vital to my health and well-being.

my 2¢

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:58

BF:

2 cents noted and will be sent to the charity of your choice,,,,
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 17:52

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Yikes...

I was diagnosed diabetic in 1995 (type 2), and through balanced eating I kept my blood sugar within a reasonably normal range....at least, until 2000, when it started rising again...and it became clear that it wasn't going down this time unless I did something about my weight.....I told him I thought my thyroid was taking a nosedive again (I'm hypothyroid as well) and that could explain why my weight was rising even though I hadn't changed my eating......He gave me the standard blood tests, and when it didn't show up, he prescribed Xenical.

Again, I say...Yikes!

All Xenical did for me was give me lots of oily discharge that I couldn't control (necessitating the use of adult protection...yuk )...and slowed down my weight gains. At that time I was trying to begin a low carb diet...I think it was CALP at that time....and the entire experience was frustrating and humiliating! He's not my doctor any more....
And...I dropped the Xenical after about four months...couldn't take it any more.....for the hefty price and the questionable results, it wasn't worth it.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 17:55

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

BTW....The doctor was wrong about my thyroid too....and it took a good 15 months before something showed up in testing that verified my suspicion!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 12:16
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

i took xenical for about 2 months last year. I gained a lot of weight after my hysterectomy 2 years ago, and I would complain to my doctor that no amount of "dieting" and excercising would get rid of it. He put me on the xenical and I was horrified with the side effects. I got the first prescription filled took that got second month filled and only took it because I paid so much for it. In the end, I was only lighter in the wallet from xenical.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 11:16
Registered Member

Stats: 315/205/220 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Atkins + Xenical is Great BUT.....

First for those who tried and gave up on Xenical after only 1-2 months sure don't know how to diet. With any medication or diet you need to be steady and stabilize yourself on it before it can be truly effective.

I was in your boat. I tried it September 02-> November 02 and it gave me the same problems that you all experienced. I went back to my doctor told him about it and he tells me to stick it out. That my body learns to control and overcome these side effects (no spills in the pants and other problems)

Well he was right. I got back on September 03 and it's been 1 year. I got down to 285 with the pill alone and my side effects went away (4-5 visits to the bathroom but never a spill). It got me down to a point where I felt comfortable going to the swimming pool.

I'm now 260 and going down about 2-3lbs week. I'm on a multivit. to ensure I keep my nutrients up and I'm on low carb diet with a lot of lean meet. Chicken, lean burger, tuna and plenty of Cheese.

While I eat a few more than 30% of carolines from Fat, my body has become tolerant of the side effects.

It's not an easy road for any of us but saying Xenical + Atkins is a bad idea isn't true either. Medically, if you take the right nutrients and don't eat straight fat all day, you can combine the two with sucessful results.