Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 17:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Angry AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Got my blood test results this morning. The good news is, my blood sugars are normal (diabetes in the family). The bad news is, my cholesterol is high (arteriosclerosis in the family).

7.72 (That's 298 for our neighbours south of the border). Ideally, it should be below 5.19 (that's 200 for USA'ers).

Well, I know I shouldn't panic yet. Next comes the test to look at the ratio of HDL, LDL, and triglycerides. I know the ratio's more important than total cholesterol, and it could be fine. Also, I suppose it's possible the reading could be a one-off. I had the blood test done right after an hour-long workout - could that be a factor, I wonder?

I shouldn't be upset. I've had pap tests come back looking scary. I've had a mammogram come back looking scary. False alarms.

Oh, BTW, I had the test done before I started my four-day reversal diet, so they are my values after a year of low-carbing. Now I wish I'd had the test done before I started this WOE, then I could see if they've gone up or down.

I suppose I should add that my blood pressure is low-normal (110 over 70, I think). Normal BP, normal blood sugar, my weight's not too high - why the high cholesterol?

I've posted this in my journal, too, in case anyone thinks they're seeing double!

Rachel
Sponsored Links