Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 10:39

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict's
Stats: 251.0/251.0/170.0 Male 72
BF:
Progress:
Default Salad Dressing at Complementary Meals

I noticed the book states that you can have whatever salad dressing you want during the complementary meals, but should I be concerned about the number of grams of carbs in them?

I know that most "Low Fat" dressings will be loaded with Sugar to compensate for the taste.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 10:43

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

In The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program, it states that one may have one's choice of dressing at the one Reward Meal.

I presume that during the Carbohydrate Restricting meals, one should have only LOW-CARB dressings.

Neither CAD nor CALP are low fat plans.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi,

Personally, I would avoid the low-fat dressings -- plus, I'm not sure if you are doing Atkins, you should have full-fat dressings on Atkins. I eat (and ate during Induction as well), all of the really fatty, creamy ones... blue cheese, ranch, ceaser, etc... But I also LOVE eating my salads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar... (though be aware that bv does have some carbs so eat in moderation)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 10:53
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I use no low fat dressings ever- they are loaded with sugar! I have found the best store and restaurant dresings are blue cheese or ranch. You can read the labels and pick ones where sugar or HFCS are very low on the ingredient list or missing. You can also make your own dressings for when you are home- I love just olive oil and vinegar with lots of garlic and pepper, or sour cream with lemon juice and garlic and pepper (I guess I like garlic and pepper) or even guacamole with oil, lemon, and more garlic and pepper. I tend to not buy bottled dressings anymore.

If you are very very sensitive, you can ask any restaurant for cruets of oil and vinegar.
Fast food places usually have packets of blue cheese or ranch.

HI! Welcome to the forum!!

E
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 11:13

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Squiggy23,

Welcome to the program!

CALP page 23 under Oils, Fats, and Dressings:

"Salad dressings: all regular and low-fat varieties where sugar is not among first four ingredients."

CAD page 113 under Fats, Oils, and Dressings:

"1 to 2 tablespoons of any of the following fats, oils, and dressings at each of your Complementary Meals, less if you are following very low-fat dietary guidelines.

Butter or margarine
Corn oil
Mayonnaise (regular, substitute, or light)
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Safflower Oil
Sesame Oil
Sunflower Oil
Soybean Oil
Vegetable Oil
Commercially available prepared salad dressings (note that low-cal varieties are higher in carbohydrates)"