Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 17:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/193/150
BF:
Progress: 28%
Cool Carb Addicts Vs. Atkins????????

I just bought the carb addicts book and began reading their initial program. I am AMAZED at how less strict it is compared to Atkins first two weeks of induction. I haven't gotten all the way through, but let me ask this....those of you following this plan...IS THIS WORKING???

I see their point, but it was like trying to convince myself last Sunday on day one of induction to actually consume BUTTER, EGGS, and BACON.

I did...and weighed in this morning 10 lbs lighter.

Please ...some feedback out there from you carb addicts followers.

I may do the Atkins induction and then switch over. I am satisified to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs per week, because I know that is safe and realistic.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 19:14

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

If you can lose on CAD, why not? Your plan sounds smart to me.

My experience (and one I've heard echoed from others) is that I was able to lose on higher levels of carbs at first, but I've had to take my carb level down twice now in order to continue losing .75 pounds/week, on average.

I know how odd it is to eat those high fat foods at first--in fact, it took me months to be completely convinced I could eat them! I do buy organic butter, free range eggs, HFS bacon...just in case but definitely enjoy all those long-lost goodies.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 20:00

Plan: calp
Stats: 342/295/190
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi! I am using the CALP and am loosing .The concept of one full meal a day has great appeal for me ( especially in winter) Now in harvest time I take a lot of meats to graze on all day.Iget all the carbs I need from the processed meats, so I have been avoiding my carb vegies. I only atarted in Aug and have lost 8lbs. I usually gain now as I sit most of the day in the combine.I also like the idea of balancing 1 meal rather than figuring out everything all day!
Good Luck and have a good one !
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 06:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208.5/168/125
BF:
Progress: 49%

I too bought the carb addicts book and thought it sounded great but I found I wasn't losing on it. Maybe I wasn't getting my "thirds" right. Also, I'm not into eating salad everyday and having to eat a salad at my balanced meal just to get that "third" of whatever I wanted -was practically punishment to me!! I am having much much better success on Atkins, but I plan to switch back over to carb addicts when I am ready for "maintenance". Good luck to you and let us know how you do!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 11:50

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDukes
I too bought the carb addicts book and thought it sounded great but I found I wasn't losing on it. Maybe I wasn't getting my "thirds" right. Also, I'm not into eating salad everyday and having to eat a salad at my balanced meal just to get that "third" of whatever I wanted -was practically punishment to me!! I am having much much better success on Atkins, but I plan to switch back over to carb addicts when I am ready for "maintenance". Good luck to you and let us know how you do!

The salad is NOT part of the 33/33/33.

You eat a salad containing 2 cups of raw salad greens BEFORE your Reward Meal, and then you have a meal in one-third of the plate is given to PROTEIN; another third of the plate is given to low-carb VEGETABLES, as listed in the CALP book; the last third is for your carbs of choice.

You EYEBALL the thirds, making sure they are similar portion sizes. There is no counting of carbs or grams of fat or calories. No weighing anything.

AND you have to eat the entire meal within 60 minutes.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 06:39

Plan: LC and almost vegan/IF
Stats: 190/179.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
AND you have to eat the entire meal within 60 minutes.

Now I see how this works well with IF Annie. I found the book at the library yesterday so I am reading up as per your suggestion. Of course I need to stay of the forums and get to reading!!! Thanks Chica.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
The salad is NOT part of the 33/33/33.

You eat a salad containing 2 cups of raw salad greens BEFORE your Reward Meal, and then you have a meal in one-third of the plate is given to PROTEIN; another third of the plate is given to low-carb VEGETABLES, as listed in the CALP book; the last third is for your carbs of choice.

I've always wondered how you guys can do this...if I eat 2 cups of salad before my meal, that's pretty much all I'll eat (because salad is bulky and fills me up). But without sufficient fat and protein, I'll be hungry shortly afterward because I never really got satisfied (salad veggies alone are not satiating for me). Basically, I would never get to the carbs, protein, and LC veggies because all the room in my tummy would be taken up by salad - especially if I have to be done in an hour. But I'd pay for it later.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 11:13

Plan: CALP since 2.16.09
Stats: 322/309/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jael
I've always wondered how you guys can do this...if I eat 2 cups of salad before my meal, that's pretty much all I'll eat (because salad is bulky and fills me up). But without sufficient fat and protein, I'll be hungry shortly afterward because I never really got satisfied (salad veggies alone are not satiating for me). Basically, I would never get to the carbs, protein, and LC veggies because all the room in my tummy would be taken up by salad - especially if I have to be done in an hour. But I'd pay for it later.

I have always thought 2 cups to be like a plateful, but you will be surprised if you measure exactly 2 cups with a measuring cup. It is a lot less than I thought. I eat my salad with the meal, not before it, because I've never been a big fan of leafy greens I am still struggling sometimes to get all my veggies in, but because I think veggies are vital for my health, I make it happen. Also, I haven't been fanatical about my 1/3rds, and yet I have been losing steadily (12 lbs. my first month).

The biggest win for me was the "no snacks" rule, as I am a snacker. After the 2 or 3rd day, I haven't thought of snacking at all. I think that in itself cut out a lot of bad stuff I could be eating.

If you dress your green salad nicely with lots of olive oil, and cheese, you get a lot of fats and some protein. Because my blood sugar levels were stabilized , my Reward Meal didn't turn into a binge situation. I have always had a taste for food, but for the first time in my life I am not always thinking about food. The Hellers wrote CAD/CALP with the science of insulin release and insulin/glucagon metabolism in mind, it's easy to follow, and it works

I would recommend to everyone to give it a try and see how it works for them.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 11:48

BF:

Get out your measuring cups. I agree with Eliza. If you measure out the salad, without compressing it, without stuffing it in the measuring cup, you'll find that a mere 2 cups of salad greens isn't very much at all.

Somewhere around here, someone was once making a joke about how small ONE-HALF CUP is, and they were right - in the same way, two cups of salad is not exorbitant.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 13:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz
I have always thought 2 cups to be like a plateful, but you will be surprised if you measure exactly 2 cups with a measuring cup. It is a lot less than I thought.

No, I know exactly how much 2 cups is...having done Atkins induction too many times to count (during induction, we are allowed to have 2 cups salad veggies, plus 1 cup LC veggies per day). I'm glad it works for you, but I can't stuff in 2 cups of salad and then eat much of anything else. That alone would make CAD a deal-breaker for me, because I'd eat the 2 cups salad and then starve the rest of the night. I guess it's a matter of how much you can put in your tummy at once. Salad takes up a lot of room in my stomach. I coudn't do it.

Last edited by Jael : Wed, Mar-18-09 at 13:23.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 15:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think the important thing with any low carb "plan" is adapting and changing when you have FOLLOWED IT TO THE LETTER and it stops working for you.

It also depends on your own unique psychological and physiological make up. Some people can't handle the carbs or have the the discipline for a more relaxed plan like CAD or The Zone. For someone like me, CAD would be dangerous at this point. It would be licence to eat dessert!

Quote:
Iget all the carbs I need from the processed meats, so I have been avoiding my carb vegies.

This is OK if it works for you, but I personally would never recommend it to anyone. YMMV.

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 23:47

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Lil Annie - I was reading this with interest and then noticed the thread was from 2001! My husband wants to do CAD and I just don't think it is a good idea so I wa reading. I think they should make the date more noticeable somehow on such old topics.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 05:54

BF:

Yeah, old thread, but timeless information. Nothing inaccurate. If the info is accurate, I don't care if it was written in the 15th Century, but I typically do check the thread dates, as the really long threads usually started years ago, and I'm curious how long people have been participating. I frequently take old books out of the library. Just because they are old, does not mean they are worthless or contain incorrect info.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 17:35
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I'm still here! I love reading old posts and often wonder what happened to these people.
E
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 06:41

Plan: LC and almost vegan/IF
Stats: 190/179.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
I'm still here! I love reading old posts and often wonder what happened to these people.
E

This is what I like to see... long term success... thanks for the inspiration any advice or wisdom would be most appreciated... I tend to try to listen to those that were sucessful and maintained for a long time!!! Congrats to you. People like you inspire me and help me keep the faith!