Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-08, 19:51
Registered Member

Plan: General-Diabetic
Stats: 330/325.0/300 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question Has it been working for you?

Hi everyone,

I've read just a bit about Dr. Bernstein's method and I've got the book on order. I hope you don't mind a general question, but overall would you say his way of eating is that much better than, say, Atkins? Have you noticed a difference in your BG readings since following it, compared to if you were just generally low-carbing?

Sam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-08, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSugarSam
Hi everyone,

I've read just a bit about Dr. Bernstein's method and I've got the book on order. I hope you don't mind a general question, but overall would you say his way of eating is that much better than, say, Atkins? Have you noticed a difference in your BG readings since following it, compared to if you were just generally low-carbing?

Sam
I have read both Atkins Diabetes Revolution and Bernstein's book and as a relative newcomer to diabetes and definitely low-carbing, Bernstein gave me a more practical approach to follow... this would include medication options and how to inject insulin appropriately and take blood sugars. I learned none of these things from my own physician.

Berstein as some have said here is kind of mechanical in the way he does things but I obtained a better appreciation for the long term benefits of normalizing blood glucose (or should I say minimization of long-term complication. I buy into this reasoning.

From Atkins I obtained some basics re: diabetes but he still seems to lean toward... once you reach your goal weight, you can increase carb intake... He gives meal plans for 20 - 40 - and 60 grams carb per day. Bernstein stays with his 6 - 12 - 12 or 6 - 12 - 12 - 12 on longer days as a way of life. I suspect not many here rigorously hold to that but I still stay very low on carbs until I reach my weight goal... but even then I can't see myself eating 60 g of carbs on a normal day... I am just not active enough - perhaps that will change though. Presently at 20 or 30 grams of carb per day I can control my BG's with only basal insulin. For some, oral meds and low carb are the way to go... for others, natural remedies seem to work.

Others here do quite well on much higher carb levels. One thing for sure - what works for one person does not always work for another. I can really only speak to my own experience.

Good luck and stick around.
/smile
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-08, 22:00
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I believe Bernstein is THE book for getting a handle on how low carbing affects diabetes and understanding the nuts and bolts about how to do it. I have followed his plan for 3 years, but I've lost so much weight, I really had to up my carbs at bit. There is really no other book that provides the in-depth and detailed information that is contained in "Diabetes Solution."

Best of luck on your journey to better blood sugars!

Last edited by lowcarbUgh : Sat, Jun-28-08 at 22:09.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-08, 23:42
Registered Member

Plan: General-Diabetic
Stats: 330/325.0/300 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I've been hearing about this 6-12-12 concept, so THAT is where it comes from. Aha! Interesting! I'm at the point where I'm paranoid of all carbs. I see something that is 4 carbs and I'm like "wooo, that's going to be too much" simply because I'm convinced that I'll get some hidden carbs somewhere in my day. LOL I know, I know, I'll get into the swing of things. The whole learning curve is quite a trip!

I had an AWESOME day and my sugars were in the 8's for the day, which is a miracle...as in call the Vatican, we have the real deal here type miracle. LOL I'm not on any meds. I know they're in my future, but if I can take care of the diet part and manage my numbers down, then I'm ahead of the game a bit.

Ok..time to hit the books again...

Thanks everyone! I've learned SO MUCH from all of you already!

Sam
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 07:45
Registered Member

BF:

WTG ! Sounds like you have made a good start.

/smile
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 08:02

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Bernstein is a good start.
6-12-12 is appropriate for some people,inappropriate for others.
Most of us modify his plan to our own needs.
I personally vary between 50 and 100 grams of carbs a day and
my glucose numbers are fine.I need more carbs because I'm an
exerciseaholic. Lots of good facts in the Bernstein book.
Main thing is to test your glucose number versus various foods
to find out the goods and bads for you.
Good luck
Eddie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 08:49
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSugarSam
I've been hearing about this 6-12-12 concept, so THAT is where it comes from. Aha! Interesting! I'm at the point where I'm paranoid of all carbs. I see something that is 4 carbs and I'm like "wooo, that's going to be too much" simply because I'm convinced that I'll get some hidden carbs somewhere in my day.

The 6-12-12 is not written in stone. I'm doing 0-30-20 right now. It's the general concept of low carbing that is important. And cutting carbs is the most important way to control diabetes, even if you are on other medications. Please don't take anything the American Diabetes Association writes seriously. I've been ignoring them for 25 years and have been much better for it.

Instead visit Blood Sugar 101: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

This site and book is authored by our expert member, Lottadata. She's up on all things type 2. I am a type 1 and insulin-dependent.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 08:51

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Please don't take anything the American Diabetes Association writes seriously.

I have been trying to tell my dad that for the past year. :::sigh:::
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 08:54
Dazed and Confused

BF:

What's going on with your dad, Zilla?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 09:01

BF:

Type 2. Dx'ed it about 3 years ago. One of my "inspirations" to start a low carb diet. I was headed to type 2 on the fast track.

He clings to the carb recommendations of the ADA because he is addicted to cereal and bread. His weight keeps going up and he doesn't see the connection.

He never listens to me, but that goes well beyond diet and health issues....LOL
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 09:08
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Even the ADA says that type 2 diabetes is caused by excess weight. I hope he is controlling his blood sugars with something. Have you given him Bernstein's book? A lot of diabetics find Bernstein more credible than Atkins because Bernstein is a diabetic himself.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 09:35

BF:

I just may have to get him that. Or beat him over the head with it. Whatever
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 11:03
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Even the ADA says that type 2 diabetes is caused by excess weight...
Taubes say excess weight is caused by diabetes... Type 2 and the foods consumed (carbs)...

/smile
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 11:12
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban
Taubes say excess weight is caused by diabetes... Type 2 and the foods consumed (carbs)...

/smile

I'm not sure, but they are cojoined twins. I personally think junk food, particularly HFCS in the form of soft drinks, is contributing more than anything to the diabetes epidemic. I do know that there are people still left in the world who consume moderate carbs and don't gain and don't get type 2 diabetes. I also believe there is a strong genetic component in metabolic syndrome and diabetes.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 11:27
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
...I also believe there is a strong genetic component in metabolic syndrome and diabetes.
Definitely, and same re HFCS...

As I was trained as a scientist, I was a hard core believer that weight inc/dec was as simple as Calories burned - calories in = Delta calories (if Delta calorie was minus, you gained weight, etc...). Taubes blew that one all to hell when he started talking about insulin...

/smile