Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 08:16

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Alpha Lipoic Acid Kicks In

Last night my bg was 76 mg/dl (about 9:30 PM). At around 11:00 PM I ate an Atkins Protein Bar.

My fasting reading this morning was 80! That's the lowest reading I've ever gotten in the morning. Down from the high 90s. This stuff ROCKS!

Jim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

hi c6h6o3:
how long you've been taking it. i've started with 360-480 ala +1300 EPO twoce a day and been taking it for about a week, and NOW CHANGES IN MY BG! it seems to be working for everyone but me. i'm taking just the regular ala not time released version, 120mg caps.
what am i doing wrong?
thanks,
dina
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 09:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
hi c6h6o3:
how long you've been taking it. i've started with 360-480 ala +1300 EPO twoce a day and been taking it for about a week, and NOW CHANGES IN MY BG! it seems to be working for everyone but me. i'm taking just the regular ala not time released version, 120mg caps.
what am i doing wrong?
thanks,
dina

I started my second 60 tab bottle of ALA the day before yesterday. I take two 300 mg tabs AHA and two 500 mg EPO tabs in the morning and the same in the evening. I don't know how long it took to work for me, but I didn't notice much change in the morning for more than a week. Hang in there. Give it at least two weeks.

I also take two teaspoons of Carlson's Fish Oil every morning and evening, but I've been doing that for months now. The ALA / EPO combo seems to have made all the difference.

HTH

Jim
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 11:32

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

pleased to see it working Jim.i think this stuff is amazing
it kicked in very fast in my case ( 5 days) and after a week i had a midnight snack of PNB which normally would have raised bgs to around 100 the next morning.they were just 85.
I,m taking 100mgs 5 times a day now with 1000mgs of EPO.i,m sticking with this amount for now as it suits me fine.I wonder if the dosage could be weight related?
One thing,is anybody taking Biotin as well?

Last edited by pepsi max : Tue, Sep-16-03 at 11:34.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 11:33
Registered Member

we used to take fish oil in caps as per dr.mercola advice. keep in mind that it can raise LDL (it did for me and my dh). i'm not sure about other health benefits, i'd rather have wild pacific salmon and tuna.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 11:36
Registered Member

hi christine:
i'm taking biotine at least 10 mg a day. so far, this stuff didn't kick in for me. i'll continue anyway, see may be it will work.
dina
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 11:55

BF:
Progress:

I,ve got biotin in my multi vit/mineral tablet but thats all.BTW, i,m taking L-cartinine as well as the lady in the health shop said the ALA works better if you take this also.sure i,m starting to rattle!
I,ve just tested bgs 2hrs after my tea-strawberries,cream cheese,nuts,greek yoghurt and soya cream (yes,i know but i like it)
3.7 (68)unreal.never had this since i was on insulin.

Last edited by pepsi max : Tue, Sep-16-03 at 12:01.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 12:20
Registered Member

christine:
beats me. you are taking regular ALA or time released. i also take L-carnitine, they say it helpd to lose weight. but didn't make dieffrence for me. my poore stomack suffers with this amount of supllements, it's very sensitive to all acids, even aminos. well, may be i should try to take 120mg 5 times a day instead of two big doses. the toghest part is to remeber to take it at all.
dina
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 12:29

BF:
Progress:

hi Dina,i,m not taking the time release kind.thats why i thought of taking it after every meal.its also stopped me wanting to eat between meals as i don,t seem to get hungry very much.As you know, this isn,t like me,i like to eat and can be a real pig at times.I have noticed however, that my skin feels a bit hot,whether this is due to the ALA or the lower bgs i don,t know.time will tell.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 12:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
keep in mind that it can raise LDL (it did for me and my dh).

Thanks. I've scheduled my yearly blood workup, so we'll see. Did it also raise HDL?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 12:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default dosage

I'm taking 3 100 mg capsules of ALA after each meal. They are the only size I could find last week. I've now ordered some 300 mg capsules (not time release) so that I only have to take one pill after a meal ,or, if I decide to up the dosage, won't have to take a bucket load of them. I also have ordered some 5 mg biotin since Dr B says that is necessary. I just started this at the end of last week so can't say that I have noticed a change yet. I did back off on the EPO to 500 mg after breakfast only because of the rosacea. I think we're all hoping that this is "miracle in a bottle"!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 14:57
Registered Member

hi Jim:
it didn't raise HDL for us, just the LDL.
alcohol raises HDL for sure.
i've read a lot about fish oil, pros and cons.
i remeber my mom chasing me with a spoonful with fish oil when i was a child. it was pretty nasty stuff but it provided Vitamin D needed for children to develop strong bones and prevent from rickets.
i'm not sure if it has health benefits for adults.
they are looking at so called "eskimo diet" and heart desease rate.
the whole "fish oil" situation is a bit fishy for me.
regards,
dina
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 22:24

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I am taking 1500/2000 ALA/EPO daily (3 doses). I am still amazed at the low BG's, but have had some funky symptoms.
1) Weird smelling urine and sweat
2) The red face after drinking wine
3) I know this sounds riduculous, but I am also losing lots of hair! I am taking 20mg of Biotin per day....I had been taking 10mg for years. I may add L-Cysteine.

I am noticing that I eat more and am not losing weight as much because I have so much more leeway with carbs and calorie dense food. Guess the juryis out for me at this minute!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 09:23
Registered Member

Hi Sherrielee:
i thought that it's just me. i've notice some od this too, even i don;t take this much of ALA. since my BG didn't move a bit, i'll still continue to take it just lower doses. it's good as a major antioxidant.
EPO helps me a bit, i've lost a couple of pounds. L-carnitine is another story. eat more red meat and you don't need this supplement. i take it on days when i eat chicken or fish. all this amino supplements except ALA can be synthesized by our bodies if we get enough good quality protein. red meat has so many health benefits, and it's great for weight loss and very heart friendly. there are no free lunches. we may lower our BG but some side effects can be worse. i'll try to research this thing before we all go bold. LOL
dina
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 09:44
Registered Member

here is the link to one of the ALA sites:
http://www.alphalipoicacid.net/herb...icacid-benefits
to those who take any oral meds and /or insulin it may be helpful.