Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 12:25

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

Dina,its not that long ago when i followed the BDA recomendations to the letter.A 10mmol didn,t bother me then,i thought it was good.What an idiot i was but it was what i was told to do by people i trusted.I would have liked to have been given the option of the low carb way at dx instead of having to find out for myself and fight the medical profession all the way.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 12:43

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

To be honest Christine, a pp of 126 would put me on the treadmill for 30 mins. If it isn't under 120, I figure I ate something wrong!
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 13:02

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

me to sherry,a PP of 106 is the highest i can live with without a panic attack,even then,i don,t like it.I go for a walk till its back down.I,m a control freak now.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 14:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
hi Christine:
for a freaks like us, tight BG control is a life time mission. but think about average diabetic, which doesn't care about this desease as much as we do. for them BG < 180 after meal is better than 350-400. not everyone can dedicate life to manage BG . i guess that DA in US and UK consider all folks, not so very well read and educated to control their BG at lleast, not so damaging levels. also, not all folks would be actually happy to follow a restricted lc diet as we do even to get a tight control of BG.
and who will buy all this low fat -carb loaded-wrapped goodies!!!!!!
dina

You know, Dina. It's sad to say, but you're right. Many people either don't know what those higher blood sugars are doing to them or just plain don't care. Others can only see the short term happiness of having those high carb goodies while ignoring (or hoping that "it won't happen to me") the very real possibility of some long term grief in their future as payment for what they're eating now; things like blindness, amputations, kidney failure, strokes and heart attacks. While a post prandial of 180 is certainly better than a PP of 350-400, the only real difference is that those higher readings will lead to complications more quickly than the lower ones, but both sets (180 vs. 350) will eventually wind folks up in the same place...with diabetic complications, perhaps very serious ones.

*Steps up on soapbox* Ahem....

I think a lot of diabetics are willing to settle for "good enough" when it comes to blood sugar control because the medical establisment is endorsing it. I wonder how many more diabetics would get serious about tighter control if their doctors (and the agencies responsible for diabetic education) would establish some stricter guidelines and publish in graphic detail what happens when you don't keep your blood sugars well controlled? They can't possibly be ignorant of the studies that show how much benefit tight control is to a diabetic and how damaging the current guidelines are and if they are, they're worse than worthless..they're dangerous! I once asked a doctor I worked for why he wasn't more firm with his patients who came in with high blood sugar readings instead of just patting them on the shoulder. His answer? I don't want to scare them or depress them. Sheesh! How scared and depressed are they going to be when they need a foot amputated, start losing their eyesight, wind up on dialysis or have a heart attack? Perhaps some of those people would benefit from having a bit of a scare put into them before that happens! A good scare is what it took for me to get serious about controlling my blood sugars and while I didn't enjoy the experience, I now consider it a blessing in disguise.

*stepping off soapbox for now*

Last edited by Lisa N : Tue, Oct-07-03 at 14:50.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 12:59

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
I think a lot of diabetics are willing to settle for "good enough" when it comes to blood sugar control because the medical establisment is endorsing it.

Pharmaceutical sales and physicians' livliehoods no matter what the cost in human health is the prime directive for the medical establishment. Their concern for diabetics' health stems from the fact that if they die they'll stop purhcasing insulin. Not to worry. The can sell it to the millions of children who are growing up with diabetes.