Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-19, 00:16
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I just got my Dash mini, and took the basic chaffle for a spin. It was just okay - a little too salty for me, and it tasted too much like the brown part of an omelet that I don't like. Still - boy, did it ever make an awesome dipper for my excess of gravy on my pork tenderloin. I can see myself doing a hot chicken sandwich type of thing with these. It would also be nice as a chip sub for dipping; maybe just cut them into quarters.

This will be a keeper because of the texture, but I'll need to play with the variations and maybe find lower-sodium cheese.

I also like the fact that they're fast, but not so fast that you can't take your eyes off them. I have time to finish up whatever else I'm cooking, and tidy up.

Next up is Steve's stuffing chaffle.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-19, 11:09

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I am having such a great time watching Steve and his videos. He's got such a great voice! And his videos are great. I am happy I discovered his channel.

If you want a lighter tasting chaffle, try shredded mozzarella. If you want more of a bang, try some pepper jack cheese. Or add in some of your own pepper flakes. The varieties are endless. And like Steve did--adding in some coconut flour and/or almond flour and protein powder REALLY make a difference and make your chaffle more 'bread like.' I am in love with my chaffles!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-19, 11:51

Plan: Keto
Stats: 650/470/240 Male 6'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
...a little too salty for me...tasted too much like the brown part of an omelet that I don't like...

Eggs have a little bit of sodium in them, but the cheese you use could make a big difference in sodium content.

Did you layer cheese+egg+cheese or make a batter?

I typically use a sharp cheddar for breads and buns and an Italian blend cheese for everything else. The Italian blend is more of a neutral flavor. I prefer it over straight mozzarella.

When I use shredded cheese in any kind of batter, even for a bread dough or a "muffin-in a minute", I always use my Magic Bullet to convert the cheese into a powder. It gives me a better consistency and makes things easier to mix together. From that perspective, the cheese is primarily a protein powder with some fat content. To change the taste, you could replace that with your preferred proteins and fats.

For example, last time I made some chaffles for a sweet application, I cut the cheese in half and replaced the other half with Isopure Zero Carb Protein powder. Mostly to reduce the calories. It worked out great.

I would claim you could almost use any "Muffin-in-a-minute" recipe batter in the Dash mini-waffle maker...? I even have a few cheese biscuit recipes I'm considering trying as waffles.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-19, 14:46
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreZed
Did you layer cheese+egg+cheese or make a batter?
I used your method with the digital scale. Thanks for the tips. I wanted to try that basic one before I started experimenting. I have a MB, so I'll try that with the cheese next time. That's probably a good way to do a whole brick of cheese at once. I guess I could even freeze it.

I agree about the other single-serving muffin-type recipes - they'll probably work nicely in the Dash as long as the ingredients aren't prone to burning.

I'll definitely watch more of Steve's videos once I'm off for the holidays next week. And, of course, experiment the heck out of the waffle maker. I agree about his voice - what a great speaker. I would have guessed he was a pro broadcaster for a living.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Dec-11-19 at 14:54.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-19, 20:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I read the reviews for the mini-waffle maker & most were very enthusiastic. About the time I was thinking I wanted one, I read a couple of reviews that said the top heating unit quit working. Any of you have a problem with that?
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-19, 02:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
...as long as the ingredients aren't prone to burning.

Funny that you said that. My latest experiment was to layer:
  • One slice of Sargento ultra-slim provolone cheese (10 grams)
  • Some chicken salad
  • One slice of Sargento ultra-slim provolone cheese (10 grams)
I waited and waited for the light to go out on the waffle maker. Finally gave up and opened it. The cheese was very black, top and bottom.

I'll try it again though. I was hoping to do a kind of crab Rangoon waffle, similar to:

https://www.officiallyglutenfree.co...-crab-rangoons/
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-19, 13:25
Forum Moderator

BF:

The stuffing chaffle gets a big from me, although I didn't use enough seasoning.

I used dried poultry seasoning, because I was aiming for my mom's stuffing. I have no doubt that the fresh herbs would be really nice, but mom used that old tin of Club House that only got used twice a year. Gotta be authentic!

That recipe minus the stuffing seasonings has a nice bready texture. A good choice for when I just want something to dunk in soup, chili or stew. The recommendation to use the Magic Bullet for shredding (more like powder-izing) the cheese, then finishing the rest of the batter, makes for a quick cleanup. And somehow, this has lessened the saltiness of the mozza that was a real turnoff at first.

So this is a definite keeper.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 10:44

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

That's great to know! I'm going to try this recipe myself now that you can verify that it is really good. I'm just out of seasoning right now. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out, Kristine! Happy Holidays to you and your family.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 17:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Your reasons for getting one are perfectly valid. Heck, just wanting one is perfectly valid! They are very cute :-)

They are cute - which is why I finally got one. It's a very retro-looking green. And small enough for my small kitchen.

Anyway - I'm going to buy some mozzarella today to try the basic chaffle with lc clam chowder tomorrow (also an experiment). The recipes all say to spray the maker with oil before cooking. It's got a non-stick surface - does it really need spraying? And I only have oil in bottles - I'd have to buy the spray. If I need to do that, is there such a thing as olive oil spray?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 17:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
The recipes all say to spray the maker with oil before cooking. It's got a non-stick surface - does it really need spraying? And I only have oil in bottles - I'd have to buy the spray. If I need to do that, is there such a thing as olive oil spray?

I've not needed to spray if I layer cheese+beaten egg+cheese, as the cheese has enough fat in it to stop it from sticking.

However, I do use my coconut spray when I used a batter, as I've had problems when I've not sprayed. It's not that it sticks so much, but that it doesn't easily come out in one piece.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 17:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreZed
I've not needed to spray if I layer cheese+beaten egg+cheese, as the cheese has enough fat in it to stop it from sticking.

However, I do use my coconut spray when I used a batter, as I've had problems when I've not sprayed. It's not that it sticks so much, but that it doesn't easily come out in one piece.

Thanks! I'll look for coconut spray as I was planning on doing a batter recipe.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-20, 19:25

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

You could also brush a little oil on the surface, which is what was done in the past before sprays. Though I agree that the basic recipe has quite enough fat, especially for a non stick surface
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-20, 18:04
Forum Moderator

BF:

An update - I didn't like the saltiness of regular mozzarella, so I tried bocconcini. I don't know why I didn't think of that before - maybe just because it's more expensive. Bocconcini is a fresh mozzarella that's actually quite bland. I found some the other day at half price because it was about to expire.

It worked really nicely! The chaffles were more bready, less eggy, and less crunchy and chippy.

I arguably used too much cheese - by weight, it was 2.7 oz. That's more than what 1/2 cup of mozza would weigh, I'm pretty sure. But this worked out nicely; I'll do it again.

(ETA) **Important to note that I dried the cheese off really well before weighing. It comes in a tub stored in water.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Apr-04-20 at 05:22.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-20, 09:24

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I didn’t have a regular waffle maker anyway so last year I bought *two* of the cute little round Dash chaffle makers. The basic recipe (1 egg, 1/2 cup shredded cheese) makes two chaffles so this way I can cook them both at the same time. I haven’t strayed too far from the basic recipe. A couple times I’ve added some garlic/parsley powder or sesame seeds for a more savory chaffle. I used plain mozzarella cheese and maybe a dash of cinnamon for a sweeter one.

Yesterday I got some takeout chicken salad from a well-known local chicken salad restaurant (it’s been featured on NPR) and it’s yummy by itself but I’m thinking about making some chaffles for a chicken salad sandwich 😉

I’ve mainly just experimented using different sorts of cheeses, but right now mozzarella and cheddar are all I have in the house.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-20, 11:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yesterday I got some takeout chicken salad from a well-known local chicken salad restaurant (it’s been featured on NPR) and it’s yummy by itself but I’m thinking about making some chaffles for a chicken salad sandwich 😉

I've only made chaffles twice since getting the little Dash. They were fine, but when I tried to make a sandwich with one it turned very soft - almost mushy. Which I didn't care for. How do you keep the salad from turning the chaffle soft?