Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-01, 20:55
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 187/181/130
BF:
Progress:

Hi guys, I'm on the Mayo Diet and it's a hit protein/low carb diet. But the thing that's bothering me is, the diet require you to drink 3 8oz cans of grapefruit juice ( which I hate ) a day with eat meal. Well, while I was drinking one today I took a look at the carbs...18g a can. Does your diet require you to drink it to, and isn't that kinda defeating the purpose of the diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-01, 21:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default mayo diet

54 carbs per day in grapefruit juice is a lot of carbs. I suspect grapefruit isn't the miracle product it's cracked up to be. OK, it has vitamin C and other vitamins, but it also has a lot of sugar. I don't know anything about the Mayo diet (except that it has absolutely nothing to do with the Mayo Clinic), but if I were you, I'd scrap the juice, or at least cut it WAY down.

Just my humble opinion.

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-01, 00:24
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 220/199/140
BF:
Progress:

That seems like a lot of extra carbs that you DON'T EVEN LIKE!!!

I don't have any information on that diet, so I am not so sure about it... Yikes, is there even a grapefruit juice that doesn't have sugar? I don't know how that would taste though..... LOL

Good Luck though...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-01, 06:14
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 187/181/130
BF:
Progress:

I think I'm going to stop drinking them. There's 17g of sugar in each can and 1 gram of protein. I don't see how that could help anything.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-01, 08:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Exclamation mayo diet

Sorry to say, but the Mayo Clinic Diet is a fad - an amalgam of the Grapefruit & Egg Diet, Airforce Diet, 12-day Water Diet and so on. If anyone's interested, click here to read the menu plan

Here's a quote from the real Mayo Clinic about the diet -
Quote:
..... versions of the supposed eating plan have been around since the 1940s. No one knows the origin of the diet myth. Some speculate that a former Minneapolis radio and newspaper personality who was treated for gout at Mayo Clinic started the misconception when he shared his doctor's "diet for gout" with his radio audience and readers.

Others say it began when unscrupulous entrepreneurs sought to lend credence to phony dietary regimes by attaching the Mayo name to them, without permission.

(to read the whole article, click on There is No "Mayo Clinic Diet")
I think you mentioned that you prefer to not "buy the book" (might have been someone else, sorry if I'm mistaken). You don't have to buy anything ... ... Get thee to the public library, and borrow a copy of Atkins New Diet Revolution and/or Protein Power by the Eades'. Reading and learning about the principles behind lowcarbing will help you to develop an eating plan and menu that is individualized for YOU. And it'll help you understand about making life-long changes, and not just a 12-day "here eat this, and only this" fad diet.

Check out our Tips articles, especially Low Carb Basics and Low Carb FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) as well.

On the subject of grapefruit, for those who like it, of course it's a bit too high in carbs for Induction and early OWL of Atkins plan, but for later stages, or for less-restrictive programs such as Protein Power, a half-grapefruit can be incorporated into the daily carb allotment. Half a medium-sized pink grapefruit has about 10 carbs, of which 1.5 gms is fiber.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-01, 11:46

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%

use that carb content link, my southern friend!!!!....i've printed my list out 2 ways.....from 0 carbs and up.....and also alphabetized......copy and paste it into your excel program if you have it....