Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 02:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/245/120
BF:
Progress: 22%
Smile Its working

Just a quick post. I've been on the Atkins diet induction for 2 months now. I have PCOS and for the last 4 years have had uncontrollable periods that often would last for 3 or 4 months before the doctors managed to stop them using very strong meds. They would be so heavy I would have to take 2 to 3 iron tablets a day, and would get through about 20 super-size tampons - not nice. Anyway, they then prescribed Metformin for me, which led to me still getting long periods, they just weren't as heavy.

Anyway, since being on the Atkins I've stopped taking Metformin and had one 4 day, light period. Last weekend I was at a conference and cheated pretty badly diet wise on the sat and sun. Well, on Mon I had an uncontrollable period day, but had started back on stricked induction - well, it worked! It calmed down and lasted for 4 days. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Metformin couldn't control it, much stronger drugs couldn't stop it, but low-carbing has completely controlled it! Obviosly I'm very very happy - having a v heavy period for 4 months is not my idea of fun...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 04:10

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 182/182/155
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default me too

Hi

I too suffered from irregular periods and when they did come I used to suffer with severe stomach cramps and bleeding... I had a small opertion which they removed some polyps but they still the symphtoms continued.

However I went back to the consultant and asked if I could have pcos as the symphtoms were similar. hair on chin. loss of hair on head.. non existent weight loss etc. after looking at a scan he said no pcos but underlying cause of pcos is the over production of oestrogen which is casuing the weight gain etc....

I have been on atkins for 5 days now and feel better I started atkins the day I started my period and the frist two days were heavy but now they seem normal. I do not fel lethargic and tired nor do I have any food cravings any more....

I will keep you posted but I think the carbs were messing my body up big time

Best of luck

Tina
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 20:03

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%
Default It's working for me too

Hi there everyone,
I went to see my MD yesterday. I'm down 17lbs from when I last saw him. (14 from the last time I stepped on a scale, around labor day). He was very impressed with what I'm doing and wrote down Dr. Schwarzbein's name so he could look up the books. Everything seems to be going well. I had lab work done and it should be back by tomorrow or monday.
Tanya
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 08:20

Plan: CAD
Stats: 191/175/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Everyone! It's so encouraging to read these posts! I have personally suffered with PCOS, along with its not-so-wonderful side-effects for 7 years. My doctor tried to get me to started with lowcarbing many years ago, but I refused because of the food pyramid concept. Well, after I gained far too much weight than desirable, and after yo-yo dieting on lowfat and diet pills, I finally bit the bullet and tried low-carbing. It's working great so far (down 13 pounds), and am feeling great! Still on BC to regulate periods, but I'm sure in time my symptoms will subside.

Congratulations to all of you, and keep up the good work!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 22:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/165/120
BF:
Progress: 44%
Talking

I have had a lot of problems with my PCOS. I would go for months, sometimes as much as 7 months with no cycle. I had so many doctors just put me on BC pills. Then when I wanted to have a child I had to find out on my own how I could make my system work.
Once I went on the LC diet my cycle was so regular it was amazing. I had a cycle every month for the first time in my life. I love this WOL so much, I have more energy and I feel better overall.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 05:55

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 182/182/155
BF:
Progress: 0%

Isn't it great to know you are not alone in this.. the more I read about others and their problems with PCOS the more I am worrying less..... I too have noticed that by LCing... my problems have greatly reduced and I am so happy...

Tina
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 20:30

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/165/120
BF:
Progress: 44%
Smile

I am so glad it's working for you too Tina.

I was so relieved to finally find something that worked, some doctors made me feel like it was all in my head. That I was either a lazy slob or I was just not paying attention to my cycle and had it and didn't know it.

It is also great to meet nice people that know what your going through.

Keep up the good work! It is worth it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 15:19

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default You aren't lazy

And we KNOW how much you have to pay attention in this society as a woman that has a weight issue. And your gets more fun as you have the underlying health issue.
Frustration is that you have to work so hard for answers.. and KNOW that if there were a male problem.. they would work on it so HARD!
Your a wonder..and a pioneer. Someday they will know many more answers about all of this because of what your brave enough to confront now!
My hat is off to you!
Poofie!