Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/232/170 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Provera and weight gain

I have been prescribed Provera 10 mg for 15 days, I am on day 8 and have gained 10 lbs. Has anyone else taken this and gained this kind of weight, I don't feel like I gained but the scale says I did. Is this likely water weight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 13:41
Got another Harley

Plan: LOW CARB
Stats: 300/165/135 Female 5"04"
BF:44/29/21
Progress: 82%
Red face

what is povera? a steroid?
if so yes... you can gain weight without eating
I just got a cocktail shot for my sinus and
I am heavier with out any extra intake of food.
i also stopped my hormone pills 6 months ago
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/232/170 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 14%

Provera is a hormone (progesterone). My hormones were unbalanced and I was prescribed this to get them back in order. I have never taken any hormones and it was quite shocking to step on the scale and see 10 lbs in 8 days. I now officially weigh more than I did when I started the diet and I weigh more than I ever have in my life. It's quite depressing, I hope though that its water weight.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-06, 00:25

Plan: none
Stats: 146/126/105 Female 61
BF:
Progress:

I was on provera for about 1 week and I gained 12lbs then I was put on birth control pills ortho. I gained a total of 46lbs. If it's water weight ask for your doctor to prescribe a diuertic. I'm sure he would be able too.

My doctor put me provera because he wanted to see how thick my uterus lining was with an ultrasound. He saw that it was fine. After I took the provera he put me on birth control. The birth control was making my cholesteral levels sky rocket so I stopped without the supervision of my doctor. Instead he wanted me to stay on birth control pills and prescribed for me cholesteral pills. I was getting fatter and fatter on these birth control pills and he said there was not an alternative way. I decided not to go back there because there's got to be an alternative for me to just go on birth controls. I'm 24 and I don't want to to be dependent on pills. On my own I have been researching the best alternative way to cope with pcos it's with diet and excerise. I'm not recomending this to no one but this works for me. But with excerise and diet can play a major role with some of the side effects of pcos. I lost half of the weight and I'm struggling to lose the other half. But with diet and excersise I should be able too. I hate taking birth control pills I don't want to get back fat like a house. I have been diabetic around the age of 18 but was never diagnosed. I'm taking gluphage 750mg which I'm playing to up it too 1000mg because I noticed I started to get my period with diet and excerise.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 07:50
RedBlob

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

It might depend. I've taken it twice to induce periods, and never gained anything. I don't have pcos, though. Other stuff does make me gain (like clomid).
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 16:40

Plan: none
Stats: 146/126/105 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs down

Yes. It is a type of birth control and it retains water. I was on it and I gained 10lbs in a week. I had to take a diuertic to pee out the water but I only peed out 2lbs. So I gained a total of 8lbs.

I stopped it all together.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-07, 20:45

Plan: New to SB
Stats: 340/327.0/220 Female 67 inches
BF:Lots!
Progress: 11%

I've taken provera, which is progesterone, to bring on af. Basically it raises your progesterone for that time, which is like forcing PMS. When you stop the pill, your progesterone drops and AF is brought on. So you'll gain water weight. Your best bet? Stay super hydrated and get out and walk or find some exercise. I've never gained more than 1 or 2 pounds from the provera.