Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-20, 21:02

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Kal makes a straight stevia. A while back they had some maltodextrin in it. They've since have gone back to straight stevia leaf, no other ingredients at all. I buy mine at a locally owned store, but it's available on Amazon too.

There's another brand called Better Stevia, which is organic, and also contains only stevia leaf, also available on Amazon.

[ETA: the organic Better Stevia is made by NOW - and I can buy that locally too. We have a locally owned drug store that has multiple aisles of high quality brands of natural supplements, high quality protein powders that you don't find anywhere else locally, and of course those two brands of pure stevia]

Make sure you're buying the little jars of it, instead of packets. As far as I know, all of the stevia sold in packets has some kind of additive to give it more volume - at least I have yet to find any without some kind of additive. That's mainly because the sweetening power of pure stevia equivalent to a tsp of sugar is only 1/32 tsp - that's such a tiny amount that without something to increase volume, most of it would stick to the inside of a packet of sweetener. The Kal includes a tiny little 1/32 tsp measuring spoon. (much easier than trying to measure it by cutting 1/4 tsp into 8 equivalent parts!)

Last edited by Calianna : Sun, Feb-09-20 at 13:57.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 08:37

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Kal brand is 100% Stevia extract - Other ingredients: None

It also has no weird aftertaste.

This is where I get it:

https://www.vitacost.com/kal-sure-stevia-extract-3-5-oz

They also have organic:

https://www.vitacost.com/kal-sure-s...organic-extract

(other than being a customer, I have no connection with this company)

There might be other pure stevia brands out there, I chose this company because no stores around me carry it.

Bob
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 10:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I also get along with monk fruit sweetener, which is what the Wheat Free Market uses. Like in their mug muffins.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 10:53

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I agree with Bluesinger that I love cyclamates. Definitely the best taste, doesn’t seem to have any ill affects for me. I used to vacation in Canada every summer and would smuggle home lots of bottles of liquid Sugar Twin (cyclamate version). It’s been over four years since I went to Canada now and my stash is long gone. I’ve definitely been wanting to order some from Canada.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 11:44

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Splenda is the only sweetener I've had trouble with. I'm 99% sure it's because it contains both dextrose & maltodextrin - sugars that increase blood sugar.

I have no trouble with other sweeteners, but I still don't eat/drink anything with them between meals (as a rule I don't eat snacks), and I don't use them daily. That's not because I'm concerned about the use of sweeteners, but the other ingredients in low carb snacks can be pretty carby in large amounts. And some of them taste so good it's hard to resist!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 13:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
~snip~

I bring packets of Stevia into restaurants, because if they have anything like that, it's usually Truvia which isn't pure stevia, it contains erythritol which isn't necessarily bad, but not necessary either and "natural ingredients".

~snip~
Bob

I looked on the vitacost website but didn't see any packets of stevia with no added ingredients. It would be great to have it in packets for travel, rather than taking the bottle with me and running the risk of it opening and spilling it all over - where are you finding pure stevia packets?
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 14:11

BF:

Phooey, after posting earlier in this thread I remembered how much I loved cyclamates so decided I would order some liquid SugarTwin from Canada. And what did I find? That liquid SugarTwin was discontinued in May 2019. Now the only items available are the adultered SugarTwin packets where the FIRST ingredient is dextrose (aka sugar &#128577. Drat, that liquid SugarTwin (no ingredients but water and the cyclamates) was absolutely the best.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 14:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Phooey, after posting earlier in this thread I remembered how much I loved cyclamates so decided I would order some liquid SugarTwin from Canada. And what did I find? That liquid SugarTwin was discontinued in May 2019. Now the only items available are the adultered SugarTwin packets where the FIRST ingredient is dextrose (aka sugar &#128577. Drat, that liquid SugarTwin (no ingredients but water and the cyclamates) was absolutely the best.

I'm not real picky about the flavor of artificial sweeteners, but I remember the same kind of disappointment when I realized that there was no more liquid saccharin available. I must have bought one of the last bottles available in this area when I started back on LC in the early '00s, because I never saw it again after that - the only thing that had saccharin in it was the pink packets, which of course was mostly maltodextrin and junk like that.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 15:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig

Have you tried Apriva liquid sweetener from Kroger/Fred Meyer? It's almost pure sucralose. I've used it for several years now & it works well for most foods. NOW also has 2 Better Stevia liquid sweeteners - Original & Glycerite. Don't know anything about them except that they exist.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 15:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Kal makes a straight stevia. A while back they had some maltodextrin in it. They've since have gone back to straight stevia leaf, no other ingredients at all. I buy mine at a locally owned store, but it's available on Amazon too.

There's another brand called Better Stevia, which is organic, and also contains only stevia leaf, also available on Amazon.

[ETA: the organic Better Stevia is made by NOW - and I can buy that locally too. We have a locally owned drug store that has multiple aisles of high quality brands of natural supplements, high quality protein powders that you don't find anywhere else locally, and of course those two brands of pure stevia]

Make sure you're buying the little jars of it, instead of packets. As far as I know, all of the stevia sold in packets has some kind of additive to give it more volume - at least I have yet to find any without some kind of additive. That's mainly because the sweetening power of pure stevia equivalent to a tsp of sugar is only 1/32 tsp - that's such a tiny amount that without something to increase volume, most of it would stick to the inside of a packet of sweetener. The Kal includes a tiny little 1/32 tsp measuring spoon. (much easier than trying to measure it by cutting 1/4 tsp into 8 equivalent parts!)

THank you.

------------------------

Had a cup of coffee at church this morning( Scout Sunday) and added a packet of yellow sweetener. On the way home I was HUNGRY. Too many carbs last night might have contributed, but I AM SURE the Splenda added to the HANGRY hungries. By the time I arrived home, the ogres had settled down.... but I kept eyeing the left over donuts. Scouts ALWAYS bring donuts. I passed by a couple times until I didnt. Ripped two apart looking for the least damage. Slowly nibbled to enjoy the forbidden carbs. It was a light and fluffy type , not my favorite cake donut, slathered in chocolate icing. Figured the cocoa powder decreased the impact over the strawberry icing!! lol

I blame the failure on the AS in my coffee.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 15:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Kal brand is 100% Stevia extract - Other ingredients: None

It also has no weird aftertaste.

This is where I get it:

https://www.vitacost.com/kal-sure-stevia-extract-3-5-oz

They also have organic:

https://www.vitacost.com/kal-sure-s...organic-extract

(other than being a customer, I have no connection with this company)

There might be other pure stevia brands out there, I chose this company because no stores around me carry it.

Bob

Thanks Bob.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 15:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I also get along with monk fruit sweetener, which is what the Wheat Free Market uses. Like in their mug muffins.

SO far the only local source of Monk fruit is WM, and that is a blend, with real sugar. Grrrr. WHAT is the point of THAT combo??

Will keep looking for monkfruit options though.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 16:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
SO far the only local source of Monk fruit is WM, and that is a blend, with real sugar. Grrrr. WHAT is the point of THAT combo??

Will keep looking for monkfruit options though.

Have you tried Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener with erythritol? I got the the Golden & it tastes sort of like brown sugar, but no sugar in it.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 17:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Have you tried Apriva liquid sweetener from Kroger/Fred Meyer? It's almost pure sucralose. I've used it for several years now & it works well for most foods. NOW also has 2 Better Stevia liquid sweeteners - Original & Glycerite. Don't know anything about them except that they exist.

I avoid sucralose these days, and I do have some pure liquid stevia. I use it occasionally but it still tastes awful compared to liquid cyclamate.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-20, 20:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Have you tried Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener with erythritol? I got the the Golden & it tastes sort of like brown sugar, but no sugar in it.

oh you are right. I should have read the label. I assumed it was real sugar given the brown sugar like crystals.