Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins but now maint. as I'm prego
Stats: 293/240/190 Female 64"
BF:too much!!
Progress: 51%
Question Feeling Heart beat in body.normal?

[FONT=Tahoma]

i have been on Atkins for 4 weeks now and i am really doing well. I love it and am getting really creative with my food and learngin new recipes to make for my husbnad and I eahc day. However, I have been feeling my heart beat in my body and I'm wondergin if anybody else feels that on atkins or Lcing. I am more energetic than ever and am losing but does feeling my heart beat or "hearing" it mena m6y blood rpessure is high or what??
Can someone adivse me on what this could be?
I'd appreciate anyone helping my anxiety about this. God bless.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 10:13

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there.....

I'd be surprised if what you are describing is a symptom of low carbing. You could check your blood pressure in a drugstore. I'm assuming that your pharmacies have free monitors available as we do in Canada. Alternately, I'd suggest that if you are truly concerned that you visit your physician.

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 11:40
Registered Member

Thanks Marlaine, I plan on g0ing to Dr. and getting my blood tested and pressure too. Still wondering if anyone else out there has had this synptom. could it be from the increase in salt, ie:bacon almost every morning?? i'm racking my brain to try and figure out what would make me "hear" my heart beating.
Could it be the vitamins I'm taking?? They are solarray once daily high energy vitamins minus iron...I dont take naps anymore n afternoon and I know it's because of them.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: Modified all of them ;-)
Stats: 118/113/115 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 167%

Are you eating soy? I have that reaction to soy... it is quite irritating. My heart beat will actually be "loud" enough and hard enough to keep me up at night. I have had to eliminate soy from my diet.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 12:53
Registered Member

nab486,
No, not eating soy. is it dangerous or just bothersome? It scares me more than bother5s me. I actually feel like i'm exerting myself when I "hear" my heart beat but I'm not. My heart rate is normal but "loud". Well, if anyone has this please let me know,Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 15:33
Registered Member

Plan: Modified all of them ;-)
Stats: 118/113/115 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 167%

Hi supbughan

from what I could get out of my doctor, it wasn't dangerous, just annoying. I know the feeling of being scared by it though, i thought I was dying for months while my doctor assured me it couldn't be the soy.... anyway, now that I know what to look for soy is in everything..... even peanuts and peanut butter are close enough to cause a mild reaction in me and recently even salmon has done the same thing. I;m not sure what that could be. I am in the process of finding a new doctor (this week) if he has any enlightening info I will definitely post it.Have you checked your pressure? I also noticed that my pressure would drop when my heart was "racing/palpitating" . I read the symptoms of anaphalxis ( I can't spelll sorry) and it sounded like a really mild version of that. I hope you find the cause of it. I know it is a scarry feeling.

nab
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 09:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I had the same thing happen to me and I went to the doctor and he said everything was fine. I'm in my 40s so I figure it is part of the change of life. Also I hear it more loudly when I am having some sinus problems.
I don't know if this helps.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 20:48
Registered Member

Hi! Yes it helps, believe me! I went to Dr. last week and my blood pressure Is normal!! Also i had all my blood tested and am awaiting results. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and am on low dose of synthroid.I want to be off it and believe that as i lose weight i will improve in all areas. The loud heart beat will just have to be lived with , but I just wish i knew why all of a sudden it gets loud. Thanks for all your suggestions and thoughts. you are so awesome here! God bless you all.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 12:25

Stats: 193/181/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi!

I feel this, too. Before I went on the diet I sometimes have felt this before, but it has been awhile and the "episodes" are much worse now. I love the diet and am doing so well that I would hate to quit. I am just trying to ignore the heartbeating feelings as much as I can, they seem to usually occur when I am still, lying down to sleep. Sometimes changing positions helps, when that doesn't work I usually will try and do something (even leaving on the TV at night and listening to it instead of my heart) to stay busy and take my mind off of it.

I have wondered if it could be due to dehydration or low potassium?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 19:31

Stats: 269/175/165 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

greetings

long-time lurker here...but this thread made me register...

i went through the heartbeat sensation for over 1 year...

i would feel it constantly when i originally lost about 50 lbs...

it kept me up at night and i could feel it the most in my head when i tried to sleep...i could count every beat in my head, hands, back, etc.

i went to all types of doctors and had all kinds of tests...and learned nothing...

i eventually gave up and a few months after i began to not notice it anymore...

the best i could conclude, even though it was just a guess...was that either it was due to less padding (fat) or some change in my body from weight-loss caused a heightened feeling of sensativity???

anyways, i wouldn't stress over it...it may just go away
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 05:21
Registered Member

Hey Timmurphy,
Thank you sooo much for responding! Your comments made me feel so much better. I wondered if that might be why i noticed it more but also went to Dr. to see what was up. I got great results instead and a lot of looks and "congrats" on my new WOL. Thanks again! Glad you are not only lurking anymore but participating...you helped my peace of mind! God bless.
Lisa