Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/174/115
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Stuffed Burgers

I adapted this recipe from one from my stepmother, I dont know where she got it:

STUFFED BURGERS

Makes 2-3 large burgers (1 with a veggie or salad makes a meal)

THe patties
1 lb of ground beef
Salt, Pepper and seasonings of choice

Stuffing mix
about two tsp of cheese, any kind
about 2 tsp of chopped veggies (i used green onion, green pepper and mush)
about 2 tsp of bacon pieces COOKED (optional)
about 1 tsp wet garlic (optional)
anything else that sounds yummy

Season the raw ground beef. Make THIN patties (I take a cereal bowl with plastic wrap and shape the patty in the bowl). Take 1 patty and stuff with about 1-2 tsp of stuffing mix ( i just eyeball it). Make sure to put the stuffing mix right in the middle of the patty and not too high or the stuffing will spill out.
Cover with another patty. I season these patties slightly. Broil these or cook on the grill until brown on the top, CAREFULLY Flip, then repeat on other side. Works well if you put a wire rack because it is easier to flip. If bottom of burger seems to come apart during flipping just repat the hamburger.
Very good, quick, easy and versitile. Yesterday I made one with green onions, mush, green pepper, garlic, bacon and blue cheese and the other the same but with cheddar. Both were awesome.

Carb counts depends on ingredients but you dont use much of anything so they are minimal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 12:32
Registered Member

Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 0%
Default mmmmmmmm

sounds yummmmmmmmmmmy thanks for the idea
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 20:46
Registered Member

Stats: 191/190/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 2%

My mom made these on the grill when I was growing up. It works really well if you wrap them in foil. Keeps all the juices in and keeps things from spilling out.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-05, 18:13

Plan: None
Stats: 205/205/190 Male 72"
BF:
Progress:

I'm nuts about burgers...and a long time BBQ'er as well...you could try these several "tweaks" with your basic burger mix and technique, and probably not get a lot of carb problems...this should give you 6-8 burgers...you can "do the math" on the carbs, but it shouldn't be too dreadful...

Start with 2 lbs regular ground beef (or if you can afford it, a coarsely minced, fatty, strip loin steak) in a stainless bowl...

Add one egg...

Add 2 tsp minced garlic

1 cup BBQ sauce or tomato sauce

1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion

1 tbsp Grey Poupon mustard

1/4 cup "real" bacon bits

1/2 cup grated cheese (I use Asiago, but Blue Cheese or aged cheddar will work)

2 tbsp Worcestshire Sauce

(if your diet plan allows-and our "Dr Phil's low carb" does- a half cup of large flaked oatmeal)

Tex Mex seasoning, if you like that taste, or Hy's Seasoning Salt, to taste...

Now that you have all this heaped together in your bowl, I want to you mix it thoroughly, using a fork, rather than your hands...

At this point, we want your BBQ grill to be fully preheated and greased with some beef fat scraps or lard...

Okay, now, ad one cup of crushed ice to the meat, and beat it in again, quickly! Form patties that are thicker at the edge than the centre, a quick indentation with the tumb in the centre so that the centre cooks out properly...and toss them on the superheated grill...

Immediately reduce the heat on the side of the grill you've got the burgers on, reduce the opposite side to "medium" setting, dump a large soupcan full of mesquite chips on the hot (ie still burning) side of the grill, and cover

(Huge clouds of smoke shall billow forth!)

After about 15 minutes, open and flip the burgers, then cover again (reducing heat to "minimum" setting on the "hot" side)...wait 15 (I'm looking at "medium well done") and test for "doneness" with your meat probe...continue cooking until the meat probe reads "done", remove and enjoy!

The ice, BTW, keeps moisture in the meat, the egg acts as a "binding agent" to keep it all together, the mesquite adds so much to the taste...the "fatty" basic meat gives so much in flavour, even if the fat effectively does drain or "sweat" out during the cooking process (using lean ground gives very dry, tasteless results)

Anyways, its pretty close to spring, so dust off the "barbie" and give this a try!

Family Chef
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 07:03

Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Thanks for this recipe! I made it last night when I was trying to figure out SOMETHING different to do with that pound of ground beef defrosting in my fridge.

I sauteed up some mushrooms and added them to the stuffing - YUM.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 17:42

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hubby prefers stuffed with blue cheese, sauteed mushrooms, and a few onions...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 16:11

Plan: Primal/whole 30
Stats: 208/179/158 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI 27,goal 25
Progress: 58%

These were great! We used ground turkey instead of ground beef because it was on sale. Then, we used mushrooms, feta, olives and little spinach. Served with a little italian dressing on top. I feel like such a chef making all these new recipes.