Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-00, 21:54
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Angry

I agree with the basic premise of this article, ie, kids are influenced by everything they see and hear, but I strongly object to the closing comments. The writer suggests that dieting mothers shouldn't discuss dieting and losing weight in front of their kids. Anybody else have opinions on this??

November 1, 2000
Study shows dieting mothers influence their daughters' eating habits

By SAMANTHA CRITCHELL -- The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Young girls are what they eat, and, right now, they are eating a lot of low-fat and low-nutrition foods.

Diet pops have replaced milk at the table and some girls skip meals altogether.

Where do they learn these poor eating habits? Mostly from their mothers, says dietitian Althea Zanecosky.

"I think girls really do emulate their mothers more than these women realize," said Zanecosky, who also is a spokeswoman for The American Dietetic Association.

When a young girl sees her mother pick at her food instead of eating it, it sends a signal that it's OK to sacrifice nutrition in an effort to stay thin, said Zanecosky, the mother of two daughters, ages nine and 13.

"Kids are getting the message that fat is bad and dieting is good."

A report in the October edition of The Journal of The American Dietetic Association found that, depending on the phraseology used, between one-third and two-thirds of the 197 five-year-old girls who participated in a study were able to articulate ideas about dieting. The findings also suggested that maternal dieting influenced their daughters' developing ideas.

Mothers not only help shape their children's eating habits by what is served at the table, they also play a central role in transmitting cultural perceptions of weight and appearance, according to the Pennsylvania State University researchers.

"Given that dieting for weight control is pervasive among women, the young children have many opportunities to observe and learn from maternal weight-loss attempts, which may include both health-promoting and health-compromising weight loss strategies," the researchers wrote.

Adults need to be aware of how they view themselves and how they convey those impressions to young girls, said Megan Shull, an educational psychologist specializing in girls' adolescent development.

Shull is in the middle of a cross-country bike ride called Girls on the Move, a program that carries a positive message about self-worth to young girls.

Potential role models also need to pay attention to how they talk about other people, added Shull in a phone interview while she was in Iowa.

"If an adult is constantly criticizing how other people look, the girl will have a more critical voice about herself and others."

Young girls see signs all around them that thin is in.

Zanecosky noted that the majority of young women seen on TV, in movies and in music videos -- like pop queen Christina Aguilera and Courtney Cox Arquette of Friends -- are very thin, and the clothes these women are wearing are designed for very slim shapes.

"My nine-year-old has asked me 'Do I look too fat in this? Do my thighs look fat?' I didn't think about this when I was her age," Zanecosky said.

Kids should be allowed to be kids, she said, if they want to have an Oreo, they can have it, just give it to them with a glass of milk.

Instead of worrying about their weight, girls should concentrate on being healthy. Mothers can encourage that by pointing out healthy women, like the players on the U.S. Olympic Soccer Team, Zanecosky said from her Philadelphia home.

"I don't think any child needs to 'diet.' If kids are overweight, they need to be more active."

She suggests hiking or getting a dog that needs to be walked as ways to get children who don't like traditional exercise to get moving.

Another thing mothers can do to foster good eating habits is to sit down at the table with her kids every night for dinner, preferably with a glass of skim milk as her beverage.

Osteoporosis will likely be a problem for today's kids once they hit middle age since milk -- a great source of calcium -- is being eliminated from their diets, Zanecosky predicted.

Mothers also shouldn't talk about dieting or losing weight in front of their children, she said.

"It's OK for moms to be dieting, just don't talk about it. And choose healthy exercise. The mom may do it to lose weight, but don't broadcast that reason."

http://www.canoe.ca/Health0011/01_nutrition-ap.html

[Edited by doreen T on 04-11-00 at 12:35]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-02-00, 19:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yah, I have a comment. Once again, it's mothers getting all the blame . . . what about the media barrage these kids are exposed to? I don't remember my mother dieting when I was a kid, but I sure as hell remember being exposed to Twiggy and the ensuing spate of thin and ultra-thin young women I saw on TV, album covers, ads, magazines, etc. etc. ad nauseum. The article Doreen posted alludes to this, but, once again, it's mothers who get the chop.

If it were made illegal to 'sell' images of female boneracks to teenage girls, or, better yet, if it were made mandatory for advertisers to present a variety of attractive shapes and sizes for women to be, I'll bet we'd see some turnaround in girls' perceptions of what it's OK to look like soon enough.

Rachel