Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-01, 00:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Has anyone tried L-Glutamine for cravings? Did it work?

Karen, who may need Prozac instead...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-01, 18:43

Plan:
Stats: 220/220/135
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy L-Glutamine

No, but I read about it in my LSS News (Life Services Suppliments) Of course they said it works. I was afraid to try it. I had already tried the Keto Bar....BLEEEEECK! I still get the shivers just thinking about that one; and the Keto Drink that was also supposed to curb cravings, tasted nice, but made me feel..Whoooooozzzeee....Like I was on too much of a sugar high. If you try it, let me know the results. Who isn't looking for something to help fight the Crave Monster.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-01, 22:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

hi Karen,

Sorry I don't know a lot about l-glutamine. And neither does the internet, so it seems. I found lots of info. about body- and muscle-building, but very little about the sugar cravings. Most references stated simply that l-glutamine is effective for treating emotional addictions of all kinds, including sugar, alcohol and smoking; but none really stated why. The best reference I found was this - http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag99/sep99-report3.html It's very long, and very dry, but there's lots of good info.

As for dosage, most recommended 2 to 5 grams per day, spread out to two or three doses, taken between meals on an empty stomach. Many weight-loss and "fat-burner" pills boast glutamine and other nutrients on the label, but you read the contents and there's only 100 mg or less per pill. You'd have to take 10 to 50 pills per day to get enough glutamine to make a difference. It's best to take l-glutamine as a single component supplement. Some sources suggest taking a small amount of vitamin B6 and vitamin C with it, to enhance absorption.

Most sites recommended taking the powdered form of l-glutamine, dissolved in water, and consumed fairly quickly. It is tasteless. Take it one hour before, or two hours after meals.

HOpe this is helpful,

Doreen
p.s. - you don't want to take Prozac. It has weight gain as a side effect.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-01, 22:47
Forum Founder

BF:

Thanks Doreen,

I had come across that article too, and had wondered why it works.

I eat a low carb dessert almost every second day, or too many macadamias and have been maintaining at a steady 170 lbs. for 9 months. Coffee for me is almost a dessert too--I drink it very sweet and creamy. I know that the dairy and artificial sweeteners in the L-C dessert and coffee has been the culprit but did not want to own up to it.

Anyway, I think I will have to summon up my reserve of sheer willpower. I did it before and can do it again...

At least I know in advance what level I can tolerate for maintenance!

Karen, who instead of Prozac, should not work in restaurants where all the carbs live!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-01, 03:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default L-Glutamine seems to work for me...

I've been trying it a bit more lately, just on the theory that if it seemed to help for a chocolate attack, it might help for that "gnawing" of a nic-stick attack. It's subjective and anecdotal, but I think it actually does help.

I've read the references (especially the LEF article, as posted by Doreen), and can point out some useful bits on The Lowcarb Retreat seem to exist re cravings.
http://www.lowcarb.org pagedown to one-click archives

Ah well, should get some sleep.

Take heart, Karen, in the 1.5 years it took me to lose the 45-50 pounds or so, there were 3 4-month 'plateaus' or "early maintenance". There might be something to setpoint or even more likely, there's not a whole lot of margin between goal weight Basal Metabolic Rate burned-calories and our current weight/size BMR calories. Hmmmmm. 10 X current weight (in pounds) less 10 X goal weight == range of calories(X carb Gs CCL + 1 prot G/goal weight + X fats Gs) in which to lose. LOL! Let's presume a goal weight of 150 and a current weight of 170 so somewhere in that 200 calories you're burning (safely) body fat. It's going to be slow alright. Hard work. Sigh. Am I rambling?

Well, g'night. !8-]
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-01, 10:50
Forum Founder

BF:

Hi Judi,

I did summon up my reserve of will power, so the nuts are now non-existent. It was simple, I just don’t buy them. There is no more whipping cream in my fridge either. Unfortunately, there is lots of whipping cream at work. Whenever I open the fridge, I am faced with 20 liters or so. Now on to the LC desserts. Once a week instead of daily and no more cream and AS in the coffee. Sheesh! Coffee was never so boring. I’m drinking less of it because it no longer is a thrill—only functional. What a pathetic addict I am. From wine, to sugar, to...whipping cream?

The set point theory is interesting and something I’ve been thinking about. I remember being this size for years. I also remember being 138 lbs. for years too! LOL!

I did get some L-Glutamine and what I do is dissolve it under my tongue when the cravings hit but, it seems that the less of the “bad stuff” (for me anyway) I eat, the less cravings I have. I don’t know if it is the L-Glutamine or its distracting taste, but it seems to work. I gave some to a co-worker last night who was experiencing sugar cravings. I’ll have to ask him today how it worked him.

I love this WOL. There is never a dull moment!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-01, 02:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Unhappy twue twue

... sheesh, at least your addiction(s) are/were *dramatic* LOL! mine went something like fingernails, cigarettes, Rusty Nails (well that was fun for a while), ju jubes and cigarettes, chocolate and cigarettes, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

But it must be karma. I'm re-inducting as of today; ack! 15-20 or so have piled back on (haven't weighed myself since before the big no-cig day) and the clothes are getting uncomfortable again (and I'm avoiding waistbands again). Sh*t.

No more nuts, no more whipping cream, no more "passing" coffee and you know what? You're absolutely right, the coffee is *BORING* without the cream. I'm luckier, there is only half'n'half in the fridge where I work.

Let me know how the co-worker does with the L-Glutamine? 2 500mg capsules or up to 2 full grams (4 caps) seems to be the crisis amount.

PS: two possibly helpful things: (a) look up glutathione anywhere you can, this is the important bit for L-Glutamine's effects as a precursor (longterm stuff), and (b) I'm keeping Kava Kava in reserve, great for the anti-anxiety and unlocking muscles but it's a bit too enjoyable...

Night all!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-01, 16:10
Forum Founder

BF:
Post a little more info. on glutamine and weight loss

I found an article which shed a little light on the relationship between l-glutamine, cravings and weight loss. But only a little, mind you.

From The March 1997 Issue of Nutrition Science News - Glutamine And Human Performance
http://www.healthwellexchange.com/n...ine.cfm?path=ex

Insulin Resistance
Supplemental glutamine was recently shown to reduce body weight and prevent high blood sugar and high insulin levels in mice fed a high-fat diet.6 The mice were genetically predisposed to become overweight and develop high blood-sugar levels when consuming a high-fat diet, but these unhealthy outcomes were essentially neutralized for the mice that had glutamine added to their food.

Increases in body fat and body weight and high blood sugar are thought to result from persistently high levels of insulin in the blood, a condition known as insulin resistance (see NSN, March 1996, for an article on insulin resistance). Insulin levels skyrocketed in the mice fed a high-fat diet without supplemental glutamine, while those fed the glutamine-supplemented diet showed normal insulin patterns.

Although this is only an animal trial, the potential ability of glutamine supplements to reduce insulin resistance is exciting. Insulin resistance is now estimated to occur in half of all obese people and is considered a major risk factor for heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. While it is premature to jump from animal studies to conclusions about humans, the research so far may suggest a safe, nutritional way to adjust metabolism and look and feel healthy.

Mental Energy
Glutamine and other amino acids such as choline, tyrosine and phenylalanine are used by the brain and central nervous system (CNS) to make neurotransmitters--biochemical mediators that stimulate or reduce the brain's electrical impulses that translate into thoughts, sensations and emotions. Different neurotransmitters can also influence perceptions of energy or fatigue. Neurotransmitters appear to get metabolized, or "used up," as a normal part of body function. Heavy mental or physical stress may cause the CNS to metabolize more neurotransmitters, so whether depletion is caused by intensive concentration, a demanding job or exercise, full replenishment of these essential biochemicals is vital to keep the brain "tuned up."

Neurotransmitter production is thought to increase when the amino acids they are formed from are supplemented in the diet. If this is true for glutamine, nutritional strategies that replenish it may also boost perception of energy or help prevent mental fatigue.

Two final points are important for the glutamine story. First, too much glutamine may be counterproductive. In humans, more than two grams is likely to result in less growth hormone production, less bicarbonate buffer, and probably no further energy benefit. In fact, elevated doses may overstimulate brain neurotransmitters and be dangerous. So, while some glutamine may be beneficial, large amounts may be a waste of money and even harmful.

Secondly, most of the glutamine studies appearing in scientific journals are conducted with isolated cells or animals. More human clinical research is needed to fill in missing pieces of the glutamine puzzle. Nonetheless, glutamine's emerging picture is exciting and cause for optimism. It may become an essential supplement for consumers in years to come.

====================================
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 16:07

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 185/158.5/100 Female 5'4
BF:???%
Progress: 31%

I have been using (L-Glutamine 500) to aid my cravings and I like it... It has worked for me. Sometimes I take two capsules a day.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 04:30
Forum Founder

BF:
Red face

Holy Moly, talk about a trip down memory lane The forum was barely 9 weeks old

One thing to note, in the last article I'd posted .. it stated
... too much glutamine may be counterproductive. In humans, more than two grams is likely to result in less growth hormone production, less bicarbonate buffer, and probably no further energy benefit. In fact, elevated doses may overstimulate brain neurotransmitters and be dangerous.
Many current resources state that l-glutamine is safe at dose up to 20 and even 40g per day. However, there are still precautioins, for instance, those who are hypersensitive to monosodium glutamate (MSG) should use glutamine with caution, as the body metabolizes glutamine into glutamate. Also, because many anti-epilepsy drugs work by blocking glutamate stimulation in the brain, high dosages of glutamine may overwhelm these drugs and pose a risk to people with epilepsy.

Finally, in one case report high doses of the supplement L-glutamine (more than 2 g per day) may have triggered episodes of mania in two people not previously known to have bipolar disorder.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 08:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Low carb
Stats: 157/135/130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 81%

I started taking L-Glutamine 500mg on the days I worked out for muscle recovery and I noticed that I didn't have any cravings those days. So...I now take it almost every day and it does seem to help my sweet cravings.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 09:14
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Holy Moly, talk about a trip down memory lane The forum was barely 9 weeks old

Holy moly is right! I posted that in January 2001! Yes, low-carbing is a real learning curve. Now I know everything I've ever wanted to know about L-Glutamine and all the other amino acids too.

Karen