Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 19:26
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Italian Cottage Pie

This is not your typical Cottage Pie, but for working folks, a lot quicker to put together, because you don't have to mash the cauliflower.

My husband just loves casseroles and I finally got around to converting my Cottage Pie recipe of old to make it acceptable for my low-carb eating program. And since I love mixing meats in casseroles, I decided to do this tonight with both beef and a little of my homemade Italian Sausage in it: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...talian-sausage/. You can use all beef if you prefer, but I think it would be too rich using all Italian Sausage, personally. This super easy dish is delicious and suitable for Atkins Induction, unlike its higher-carb cousin, made with real potatoes. I decided to save some carbs and calories by not pureeing the cauliflower with butter and cream as I usually do. I just pressed it with a fork. Of course, you can mash the cauliflower if you prefer, but be sure to add in the nutritional info for the cream and butter if you do, as I have NOT included that in the nutritional info below.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. lean ground beef
8 oz. Italian sausage, removed from casings (I make mine myself)
1 c. green bell pepper, cut in ½” dice
2 oz. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
Dash salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano, dried leaves (or 1 tsp. fresh, chopped fine)
2 c. steamed cauliflower (about 1/2 medium head)
8 oz. grated Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS: Steam, boil or microwave the cauliflower until tender. While that is cooking, in a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the crumbled ground beef and Italian sausage until no longer pink. Add onion and green pepper and saute together with meat until onion is translucent. Add tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. Preheat oven to 350º. Simmer meat mixture until the tomatoes are beginning to fall apart and most of the liquid has been absorbed. All the vegetables will be fully done in the mixture at this point. Now drain any liquid off the cauliflower and lightly mash lightly with a fork (or puree with butter and cream). Spread cauliflower over the meat mixture. Top with grated Cheddar and bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until cheese is thoroughly melted. Serve with your favorite salad.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 6 servings, each contains:

468 calories
31.9 g fat
8.42 g carbs, 2.18 g fiber, 6.24 g NET CARBS
35 g protein
428 mg potassium
726 mg sodium
16% RDA Vitamin A, 102% B12, 30% B6, 61% C, 23% calcium, 35% iron, 10% magnesium , 30% niacin, 49% phosphorous, 30% riboflavin, 40% selenium, 75% zinc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 12:34

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Going to try this out this week!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 14:51
On my way to goal

Plan: General lower carb
Stats: 220/210.4/180 Female 68 inches
BF:Top Weight = 323lb
Progress: 24%

I am putting this on my meal plan NOW. Looks great! I'm guessing I could even put it together on the weekend and stick in the fridge to do the final bake during the week.

Thanks for posting Peggy.

-Casey
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 07:48
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Hope you folks like this! Casey, I would think you could do this one ahead and reheat just fine.