Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:12

Plan: atkins, sommersize, schwarzbein
Stats: 145/145/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Is this normal...any ideas?

Hi everyone! There's something very mysterious going on with my body, and really need some ideas on what it might be and how to tackle it.

As previously posted in previous threads, I've had this Buddha Belly thing going on. I'm thin build but my stomach looks 6-7 months pregnant dispite ANYTHING I do. Doctors can't agree on what it is, but they agree it is very unusual. One said "fluid retention" and another said "insulin resistance".

I started thyroid meds (synthroid) 7 weeks ago, and I did lose some fluid retention, and my appetite is suppressed thanks to the meds. And I've been low carbing it for about a year, and even cut way down on my 2 glasses of wine (which you guys mentioned might be my problem).

But...here's the question and mystery part. My stomach changes from soft and appearing like it's "going down", to rock hard, huge, bloated....all in the matter of one day! Usually in the morning I'm flatter/soft, then no matter what I eat or don't eat, by evening I'm bloated, very hard and full in the stomach. Is this normal? If not, any ideas what could be wrong? Any way of telling the difference between fat, fluid, or even gas?

So I tried cutting down more on carbs, tried drinking more water in case it was fluid retention, etc. Just when I think it's working, I bloat up like a whale again!
I even got desperate and ate only salads for a couple days...I bloated up after eating the salad! Yesterday I was in a hurry, no time for a decent lunch, so grabbed a can of soup. Two hours later I was SO sick with indegestion I had to take Pepto Bismal and hit the bed for a couple hours....and my stomach stayed hard/bloated the rest of the day. From the ingrediants (read them after the fact), it was wedding soup and had soy in it and a bunch of processed junk.
That's making me think I'm having some stomach inflamation (not sure what?), that's causing me to store fluid or gas or something. ANY IDEAS??? Or is it normal to change like that over the course of a day? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:23
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

I don't know if this will help or not, but some other people have mentioned feeling sick after eatting anything. And some have tested positive for h pylori. It's a bacteria in your stomach and small intestines responsible for may ulcers and gastrointestinal distresses. If I'm not mistaten there is a blood test to confirm or deny infection, if positive and round of antibiotics (and I saw on a web site there are some natural remedies too you can look for) will take care of it. HTH.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 18:13

BF:

Thank you for replying. I'm off to do some research about h pylori right away.
I never heard of it before, so I'll check it out. Hopefully there is a reason and solution for this crazy bloating.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 22:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

That really does sound strange. At first I also thought insulin resistance, but judging by the changes happening within a day, I would tend to think a blockage in your colon. Have you looked into colonics? It will help cleanse your colon and help your liver and many other internal organs.

Piano
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 16:09
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Cadillac:

To add to what Liz and Piano said, it sure sounds like a gas problem. Anything could cause it from candida, food intolerance, bacterial, viral, gluten intolerance, IBS, crohn's, constipation..... to name a few.

Do you keep a food journal? That will help locate the problem if it's food related. Veggies can also cause that kind of bloating if you are intolerant to them. I have a friend with crohn's who can't eat most veggies.

Is it possible that your new medication is causing GI distress? You don't mention how long you've had the bloating. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about this new symptom if it coincides with your new medication.

Just some thoughts.

Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 18:39

BF:

Thanks Piano and Wanda,
Well the more I read and think about it, I do believe I've got some intestinal and gas problem going on. In the morning I can "pinch an inch" (well..more), then later that day, I'm so bloated I can't pinch ANYTHING. The h. plyri (sp) or candida or something like that. I don't know much about colon cleansing...can I do this on my own?
Any other suggestions on how to treat such conditions? I'm going to get more serious about taking my acidophilous (I forget alot since it's refrigerated, not with the other vitamins). And maybe add some enzymes like Papaya or something?
I've been like this for a couple years, so it's not the thyroid meds (just started them 7 weeks ago). They actually help it somewhat, at least in the morning after I take the meds. In fact I've thought about splitting the dose, taking 1/2 in the afternoon and seeing if it helps my pm bloat, but the doc was pretty specific about taking them in the morning.
Thanks and any other suggestions for treating this naturally?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 08:00
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Try not eatting any grains for just one week. I'm celiac and if I get into something I'm not supposed to, I blow right up like a thanksgiving day balloon!! And if the grains are the problem, not eatting them is the only way to stop the problem. Helps with the weight loss! Just going on a gluten free diet, I lost 15lbs in 3 months! Here is a web site with lists of things to avoid. Being celiac can also cause thyroid poblems because it activates several autoimmune problems. http://www.celiac.com
Let us know what you decide.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 10:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

I am so glad to see this thread here! This bloating thing happened to me too this week. My stomach ballooned out and I feel the way Lara Flynn Boyle looked after she ate that guy at the beginning of Men In Black II -- you know, big protruding belly. (I just don't have the emaciated stick legs to go with it -- hee hee.)

Maybe in my case it's just a menstrual thing. It's just strange though, because it has never happened before. And then again, maybe it's just gas. Maybe a magnesium supplement will clear this up.

At any rate, thanks for starting this thread. I feel better knowing that this has happened to someone else. And Cadillac, I hope you figure out the root of your problem!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 14:46

BF:

Thanks again for all the wonderful replies. I've been reading up on the colon/liver cleansing...sounds scarey...but I'm probably gonna try it soon. Also, a friend of mine sez there is a guy she went to, who did the cleansing right there in his office (enema type thing).

Also...this is weird. I bought Metamucil today, thinking maybe it would help. Oh my, bloated me right up in 3 hours time!! Isn't metamucil alot of wheat?? Oh geez...so if I can't eat glutin, can't eat veggies, what the heck can I eat??
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 15:15
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac
Also...this is weird. I bought Metamucil today, thinking maybe it would help. Oh my, bloated me right up in 3 hours time!! Isn't metamucil alot of wheat?? Oh geez...so if I can't eat glutin, can't eat veggies, what the heck can I eat??

Metamucil is a processed form of psyllium husks. If you are using it, make sure you check the ingredients for sweeteners and AS. How much did you take? If you take too much, it can cause bloating. Usually it's recommended to start gradually. When I first started taking a natural psyllium, I started out with 1 tsp (with tons of water) and increased each week until I was taking 1 T.

Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 18:22

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default bloating

I have the same problem and finally realized I can't eat any grains, psyllium, or soy. And, it doesn't matter if they are low carb as in low carb bread or low carb keto chips made with soy. These things make me bloat till I feel like I will explode PLUS it makes me hungry all day. And, don't forget that the sugar alcohols like malitol, etc can bloat you. Or, you may be lactose intolerant. Try giving up all grains, dairy, and sugar alcohols for several days. If you no longer have the problem then add back one thing at a time till you figure out the culprit.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 18:48
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Cadillac,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac
I've had this Buddha Belly thing going on. I'm thin build but my stomach looks 6-7 months pregnant dispite ANYTHING I do. Doctors can't agree on what it is, but they agree it is very unusual.

I've been like this for a couple years

You should really see a different doctor

This could be serious and then again it might not be, but if it has been going on for a couple of years, that is not good. My sister always had a hard bloated stomach and she found a excellent doctor to diagnose her. This board is no way a doctors forum, You really should get a second oppinion. Take care and Good Luck