Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:51

Plan: atkins, sommersize, schwarzbein
Stats: 145/145/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Questions again/candida/insulin resistance?...

Okay, I know you are all gonna tell me "Buy the Books", and I will but right now is an extremely tight budget for me, and ebay hasn't had #2 (my first choice) listed lately. I read the 1st book, but it was a library copy (and THEY had to get it from another library).
I started thyroid meds 3 weeks ago, and feel lots better, like a human again!
My "menopausal" symptoms went away immediately, and I think even period is returning (light but definate today). But no change in my preggo looking belly which the endo seemed to believe was insulin resisitance (diabetes does run in my family). When I think Insulin Resistance, I think "Atkins" type diet...absolutely no carbs for at least 2 weeks. Is this correct? I had andrenals tested and dr said they are fine (although she also said thyroid was fine, and meds proved different). When I go "no carbs" I become overwhelmed quickly, then break down and gorge on an entire pizza..haha! Low carb just doesn't seem to do anything weightwise.
I remember somebody posting here about candida (I think that was the name) causing a big stomach? Isn't that fungal/yeast related? Because i do have problem yellow toenails, does that mean anything related to candida?
Can anyone explain the symptoms, and especially any differences in symptoms?
I appreciate everyone's help, you're all BETTER than doctors!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 16:26
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Cadillac:

Good to hear you are starting to feel better. Hormone problems certainly suck!

Quote:
But no change in my preggo looking belly which the endo seemed to believe was insulin resisitance (diabetes does run in my family).

Did she do an insulin test? That's your best way of knowing.

Quote:
When I think Insulin Resistance, I think "Atkins" type diet...absolutely no carbs for at least 2 weeks. Is this correct?

Limiting bad carbs helps insulin resistance. Atkins, Protein Power, SP..... all lower carb plans help insulin resistance. Find the plan that best suits you, don't make yourself adjust to a plan. It's like fitting a square peg in a round hole.

If you check the sticky at the top of the forum, there's info on the Insulin Resistance/Healthy Adrenal program. BTW, the type of test your endo did (I'm assuming it was a blood test) won't tell you if your adrenals are burned out. Most people decide by reading the symptoms from the book. However, I have to admit that I thought mine were burned out when in fact they weren't. But I have secondary hormone imbalances which were making me think that my adrenals were burned out.

Quote:
Can anyone explain the symptoms, and especially any differences in symptoms?

If you check out the following site, you'll find the Candida Questionnaire. Dr. Crook is kind of the authority on Candida.
http://www.candida-yeast.com/Default.asp

Another test is the spit test:
http://newleafhealth.com/saliva_test_for_candida.html

Hormone imbalance, especially burned out adrenals, can be caused by candida, which can be caused by other factors such as birth control pill use, antibiotic use and mercury toxicity to name a few.

Hope this helps,
Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 20:18

Plan: atkins, sommersize, schwarzbein
Stats: 145/145/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thanks, and question...

Does anyone know what this Insulin test is called on lab papers? Insulin? If so, I don't see it on here. But I know she tested for Diabetes, and Glucose, Bun(?),
albumin, globulin, tons & tons of tests here, but nothing saying Insulin specifically.
Thanks so much for the info, I'm checking out the links you posted right now.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 07:41
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Cadillac:

Unless it's different in the US, mine just says "fasting insulin".

HTH,
Wanda