Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-12, 09:29

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default MSM - Anyone Use This

I've been using it for about a week and it has been what I expected so far. It is supposed to help with arthritis, hair, skin, kidney function, colon and even some cancers.

I haven't noticed my hair getting any thicker, biotin really helps with that but I have read if you take MSM and Biotin, it could cause an acne flair up. Other than that, it is supposedly side effect free.

http://www.cancertutor.com/faq/faq_MSM.html

I have been losing pounds steadily but some people say it makes them gain. I take the 100% pure MSM chrystals, 1/4 teaspoon a day, working up to 1 teaspoon a day with about 2 liters of water. It might give you some diarhea or upset stomach if you take much more of it to start.

Anyone else use it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 08:11

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%

Nobody? I now take 3/4 teaspoon a day and am still feeling real good. My blood sugar levels have not come down but I am eating carbs. I was hoping this would help but maybe it takes a bit longer.

I've read that you need 2 teaspoons a day for it to affect your blood sugar. Then MSM starts breaking down the cell wall and getting itself in there. It is also supposed to get into the pancreas and help with beta cell damage.

If anyone uses this stuff, I'd be very interested in hearing of your experience.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 09:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I've been taking as much as 2000 mg a day to help with arthritis pain in my hands; it did great.

Then I went gluten free (over a year now) and this created such dramatic good results I went down to 1000 a day. Still getting better!

I intend to keep taking it, since, like magnesium, it's a substance that should be in our soils, and thus our food, but isn't!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

I've been taking it for a few month now. Started out taking one capsule which is 1000 mgs. NOw I take two but I'm not sure I'm going to continue. It is helping a little bit with arthritic pain but not so much with constipation anymore.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 03:29
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I've been reading on supplements lately, one being MSM. It has the interesting feature of having just as many "this didn't work for me" testimonials as it does "this worked for me" testimonials. In my observation that might indicate there are some underlying co-nutrient requirements that makes it vary so much.

Plenty of good nutrients will deal with that elimination issue :-)

PJ
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 08:55
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I take MSM, 1500mg, three times a day. This combined with a high strength B complex has really helped the interstitial cystitis I suffered from - basically, severe bladder pain, urgency, frequency on a daily basis. Now, as long as I remember to take the B complex and MSM, and am careful with what I eat and drink, I have no more symptoms. When I do get symptoms, its because I've forgotten to take one or the other for a few days.

Lee