Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 17:34

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinGurl
looks like dcc answered the question I was about to ask: Could the Atkins Fat Fast be considered a different type of Fasting Mimicking Diet? No fee required. Dr. Atkins’ patients who were metabolically resistant to losing weight were able to drop pounds on 3 to 5 days of a Fat Fast that was 1000 calories per day and 90% fat. Dr. Atkins believed the Fat Fast to be at least as effective as a “pure” water-only fast, without reported side-effects.

I'm not sure if it would have the same effect as the fast mimicking set, but I know 5 days for a fat fast would be too much for me. Eating that high of fat makes me feel like I drank way too much coffee.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 11:35

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I agree.

However, anyone who needs help can join me: this weekend I am trying free Doc Parsley sleep remedy and I hear good things.

Do let us know how that pans out.
I'm so tired of waking up so much even though I take mag, melatonin, and benadryl. I'd like to stop taking the benadryl.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 08:15

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdamess
Do let us know how that pans out.
I'm so tired of waking up so much even though I take mag, melatonin, and benadryl. I'd like to stop taking the benadryl.

Jess, have you tried white noise? Even at bed time my brain is sorting out ideas and is very busy-- not conducive to sleeping. One suggestion I have read is keep a pen and paper by the bedside to write down the idea so you dont forget it ( trying to remember it all night will keep you awake) and then address it during daylight. Like an appointment that didnt get put on the calendar; or email the driver ed company. Or a design.

My white noise : I use PBS tv programming to distract my brain at bed time, and let it run all night as it is quiet compared to all other stations.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Mar-10-19 at 08:24.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 11:08

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Jess, have you tried white noise? Even at bed time my brain is sorting out ideas and is very busy-- not conducive to sleeping. One suggestion I have read is keep a pen and paper by the bedside to write down the idea so you dont forget it ( trying to remember it all night will keep you awake) and then address it during daylight. Like an appointment that didnt get put on the calendar; or email the driver ed company. Or a design.

My white noise : I use PBS tv programming to distract my brain at bed time, and let it run all night as it is quiet compared to all other stations.

I'm fairly sure DH would rebel on the white noise.
I have zero trouble falling asleep. My head hits the pillow and I'm gone! It's the staying asleep and the ability to fall back asleep once I wake. I'm not interested in thinking. I already lay everything on "the shelf" before bed. Don't care about it until the AM. But I wake multiple times wide awake for no reason. Benadryl helps me fall back asleep faster. But even it wears off after 3-4 hours and I find myself wide awake and hot-flashing at 3:30-4 am. Super annoying. I often have to re-medicate to fall back asleep. Boo! I'm just so tired of the struggle. And just tired in general.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 17:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hmmm, I stumbled across a clickbait article on Facebook titled something like “10 top nutritionists weigh in on intermittent fasting.” Well as soon as I saw the “10 top nutritionists” I knew it would be junk but I guess that’s why it’s clickbait. I clicked anyway. Of course all 10 were as mainstream as can be, but actually did allow that if you are in good health and only want to drop 10-20 pounds then a little IF may not hurt you. But they included the caveat: “of course if you are diabetic you should NEVER EVER attempt to fast!”

Tell that to Dr. Fung’s patients. 😀 I heard Dr. Longo on the Diane Rehm show a couple years ago and he sounded pretty sensible then but that was before he had his product to sell. I think Dr. Michael Mosley was the other participant in the discussion and Diane herself said she had dropped 20 pounds following the 5:2 eating plan.

One thing I loved about Fung’s “Obesity Code” was that right up front he said he would only rely on HUMAN studies, no mouse studies need apply. Made perfect sense to me. 😉
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 19:34

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

You know, if the nutritionists would only say "if you're a diabetic TAKING INSULIN OR OTHER DIABETES DRUGS that cause your body to pump out extra insulin, you should not attempt to fast without medical guidance" then I wouldn't have an issue with their advice.

But it's like they don't understand that it is the DRUGS that cause hypoglycemia, not being diabetic.

Being diabetic makes your blood sugar go high, not low. Fasting brings blood sugar down so without exogenous insulin or drugs to stimulate the pancreas to produce MORE insulin, fasting would be just about the best thing a diabetic could do to bring blood sugar. Exercising would be the next best thing because exercise burns some of the excess sugar in the bloodstream therefore lowering the amount.

We have a good friend who was diagnosed with diabetes about 10 years ago and who, unfortunately, is on insulin. Recently he and his wife adopted a new dog and our friend is having to take the dog on walks and therefore is getting a lot more exercise than he is accustomed to.

He was complaining that the extra exercise is "causing" him to become hypoglycemic... so he is having to eat candy to combat the hypoglycemia and therefore he is gaining weight.

It never occurs to him that instead of eating candy to counteract the hypoglycemia caused by too much insulin, he could just slightly reduce the amount of insulin he takes so that he won't become hypoglycemic and therefore won't need the candy. Oh no. When I suggested he do that, he explained that his insulin dose is PRESCRIBED by his doctor so he CAN'T change that without his doctor's approval.

My question is, since exercising is apparently "causing" the same hypoglycemia problem that fasting would, shouldn't he, as a diabetic, have been warned to NEVER EVER EXERCISE?
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 09:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
It never occurs to him that instead of eating candy to counteract the hypoglycemia caused by too much insulin, he could just slightly reduce the amount of insulin he takes so that he won't become hypoglycemic and therefore won't need the candy. Oh no. When I suggested he do that, he explained that his insulin dose is PRESCRIBED by his doctor so he CAN'T change that without his doctor's approval.

My question is, since exercising is apparently "causing" the same hypoglycemia problem that fasting would, shouldn't he, as a diabetic, have been warned to NEVER EVER EXERCISE?

I wish sense had something to do with it.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 10:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdamess
I'm fairly sure DH would rebel on the white noise.
I have zero trouble falling asleep. My head hits the pillow and I'm gone! It's the staying asleep and the ability to fall back asleep once I wake. I'm not interested in thinking. I already lay everything on "the shelf" before bed. Don't care about it until the AM. But I wake multiple times wide awake for no reason. Benadryl helps me fall back asleep faster. But even it wears off after 3-4 hours and I find myself wide awake and hot-flashing at 3:30-4 am. Super annoying. I often have to re-medicate to fall back asleep. Boo! I'm just so tired of the struggle. And just tired in general.

I moved out a long time ago -- I sleep better now. Have my white noise, without disturbing others.