Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 196/193/135 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Victoria help

Hi all from Victoria (BC) I need to know where I can buy sweetner and filler free sausage.... I NEED some sausage and Thrifty's does not seem to carry any I can eat now. Help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 19:17

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hi Oledog, and sorry I can't be much help. I know Thrifty's does have sweeteners - Splenda, both packets and granular; Sugar Twin, granular, tablets, and liquid; Stevia and several others. Nothing like DaVinci flavoured syrups though. As far as sausage, I'm not at the stage where I worry too much about fillers so I buy the frozen sausage meat chubs.

If Davinci syrups are the sweeteners you're looking for, try Jude "IslandGirl's" online store http://www.lowcarbcanada.com/ - she's local and might see your question here, but you could ask her through her store about filler free sausage - if it's available, she'll probably know where! Or failing that, you could PM her.

Best of luck! Glenda
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 20:10

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

You can try Slater's Meats....I know they make their own sausages....maybe they could make a special order?

Slater's First Class Meats, 250-592-0823, 2577 Cadboro Bay, Road,~Victoria,~BC~V8R~5J1 - Specialty meats and other gourmet products

"Freybe" has lots of products that are msg/gluten-free...Have you read the ingredients on the packages?(I'm sure you have)

I'm a sucker for Landjaeger sausage. It's a square-shaped, dry pepperoni that I snack on.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 10:00
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks both of you, I have seen Frybe, just not sure where... My Thrifty's does not carry that brand ( I think) but I will check again today. I am trying really hard to stay away from the artificial sweetner altogether as I am Paleo and I am pretty sure those cave people did not drink diet coke I do find that so many sausages are sweetened for some reason.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 10:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledog
Thanks both of you, I have seen Frybe, just not sure where... My Thrifty's does not carry that brand ( I think) but I will check again today. I am trying really hard to stay away from the artificial sweetner altogether as I am Paleo and I am pretty sure those cave people did not drink diet coke I do find that so many sausages are sweetened for some reason.
The Freybe products are sold at Thrify's. They are usually in their own case near the deli and the cheeses. (with all the pepperoni)
They sell the Landjaeger behind the deli counter!

The way I see it, even if I am doing a sort of paleo/atkins thing...I have to adapt to modern times somewhat, and alter things so I can live with this WOE for life. If that means drinking Diet Coke and using Splenda...that's what I'll do!

Good luck with your hunt!

"Landjaeger Sausage (Made with Pork)(FREYBE)

per 55g serving

195 cal
8.6g protein
17.5g fat
0.1g carbs

Gluten Free & No MSG Added"
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 10:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi Oledog! If one Thrifty's doesn't have it, call the others. They tend to have different stuff.

If you are looking for Stevia, try Planet Organic or Lifestyle - either may also have the sausage you are looking for.

Off topic, but worth mentioning - we have a little group of us in Victoria that meet for lunch each month, you are most welcome to join us!

Julie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 10:43
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I haven't looked for it this year but Safeway often carries a pack of just-sausage-meat (for stuffing) around the holidays. Could stock up if you have a freezer. Also if you can make it out to Costco, they have both a mild and hot Italian sausage that's filler-free. I often buy it and take it out of the casings and reshape it. Good luck and maybe we'll meet at lunch one day!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 14:39
Registered Member

BF:

AHH, well I have never really looked by the cheeses LOL, now I will I would love to come to the lunch but it will have to wait two months as my family and I are spending nothing the next two months (except for food ) As for Stevia, the stuff numbs my mouth! Not sure if it is an allergic reaction or what. I wish I could drink a little diet pop, but I am an all or nothing girl, I end up drinking a 2Litre a day of the stuff, not so healthy... I will try that sausage with the funny name to, might have to write that one down
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 15:45

BF:

Quote:
. I will try that sausage with the funny name to, might have to write that one down
It's more like a dry pepperoni...only with better flavour....it is excellent for adding to soups for flavouring...that also softens it up and then you eat it.

When my mom made lentil stew she always had to go back to the store and buy more Landjaeger because I picked all the pieces out of the pot.

When I was a child, my nickname was "carnivore."
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-08, 12:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283.0/233.0/175.0 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

For sausages without fillers, you can try Starke's Deli in Sidney (corner of Mills & McDonald Park Road - beside Beacon Auto Parts). They make all their own sausages (I don't think that they put much filler in it - I've seen them advertised as low-carb). I love lots of their things (especially the double smoked bacon)!

Janet
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-08, 22:12
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

oh that reminds me, i don't think Galloping Goose puts any filler in their sausages either, at least they're gluten free.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 09:46
Registered Member

BF:

OK, so I am now in love with this crazy Lanjaeger sausage, where is the cheapest place to buy it? I am finding this WOL is killing my food budget. Yoikes did my food bill ever go up.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 10:37

BF:

The Safeway in Oak Bay has a package of four for under $4.00...but I usually buy it at Thrifty's, behind the deli counter!

I don't know where you live, but take into account time and gas and then just go wherever is closest! LOL!
You can make it stretch by slicing it into little pieces and keeping the little pieces in a ziplock bag to snack on.
I also microwave it for about 15 seconds just to take the chill off it.

(It's good, huh?)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 13:34
Registered Member

BF:

It really is good!! Also, where to find sugar free Mayo? I checked the lables at Thrifty's and every one had sugar and the low fat one, well, won't even talk about that one LOL.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 15:17

BF:

Quote:
It really is good!! Also, where to find sugar free Mayo? I checked the lables at Thrifty's and every one had sugar and the low fat one, well, won't even talk about that one LOL.
Hellman's used to be SF, I think...but I just went to the fridge and checked the label and indeed, it does have sugar in it.
Depending on how much mayo you use...it's such a small amount...I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think in order to make this WOE permanent, you have to adapt slightly just for convenience sake sometimes...(just my opinion)

I think to myself, I can either use a teaspoon of mayo with a teeny amount of sugar in it..(label still says zero carbs)or go through the whole process of making my own mayo...then taking apart and washing the blender...then not eating it all at once and throwing it out in a few days...yadda yadda...Guess what I'm gonna do?