Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 12:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200/186/140 Female 5' 2"
BF:Way too much
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S
Think of it this way....

Say you have a 100g of cream cheese and it has (just numbers for an example) 80% fat, 10% carbs and 10% protein, which would breakdown to 80g fat, 10g carb, 10g protein.

You decide you want to have a lower percentage of fat so you remove half of the fat....

Which gives you 40g fat, 10g Carb, 10g protein equaling 60g

Because you remove some fat you no longer have a full 100g of cream cheese, you have 60g so what do you do to get a full 100g of cream cheese? You add more cream cheese, of the same fat-reduced type, which gives you a higher ratio of carbs/protein to fat.

Imagine that instead of fat you were removing moisture, if you removed half the water then it would be drier and lighter but because you add the same drier compound to make up the weight difference it is still drier than what you started with because it still has less moisture and more of the other ingredients.

It could be said that it is just about math but you still get more non-fat components added when you reduce fat, same as if you reduce any component, you have to make up that loss with somethign else which will change the proportions.

Does this help?

Hmmm, thanks Sandi .... I never was any good with math!

On my Philadelphia cream cheese tub it says ....

Per 1 TBSP

30 cals
2g fat
10 mg cholesterol
75 mg sodium
1g carbohydrate
1g sugar
1g protein

So, I figure if I have 1 tbsp of this cream cheese I'm getting 1g of carbs .... that doesn't seem like much.

I only ever have 2 tbsp a day so that would be 2g of carbs?

I know Dr. Agatston says to have light cheese, and 1% or 2% cottage cheese and same with milk .... which is what I do, I always go for 1% because I prefer the taste .... and he does say it's ok with dairy to go low fat because they don't replace the fat with carbs in dairy.

Anyway, hopefully this is right .... I sure seem to be losing weight, and much more so than when I was on Weight Watchers. My belly is going down way faster too!

Thanks for the info Sandi .... I'll read it through a couple of times so my old brain will absorb the details

Paula
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 06:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '92
Stats: 245/220/130 Female 5'4'
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms A
Hmmm, thanks Sandi .... I never was any good with math!

On my Philadelphia cream cheese tub it says ....

Per 1 TBSP

30 cals
2g fat
10 mg cholesterol
75 mg sodium
1g carbohydrate
1g sugar
1g protein

Paula

That's the difference between American cream cheese and Canadian, American has 1 carb per oz (2 Tbl) which works out to .5 carb per Tbl, whereas Canadian comes in at twice that amount at 1 carb per Tbl.

I have gotten so much help here from fellow Canadians about finding better cheese that I am positively giddy about heading to Ottawa when the weather is better <3
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 08:04
Intermittent Feaster

Plan: DSTSS
Stats: 280/188/175 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:

I know Dr. Agatston says to have light cheese, and 1% or 2% cottage cheese and same with milk ....
Paula, the two Dr. A's--Atkins and Agatston--had very different opinions about dietary fat. If you have any concerns about the cream cheese you're using, the South Beach forum may be able to allay your fears. I think you're probably okay, though. Besides, you're losing weight and it makes you happy. That's a win-win situation to me.

Susan
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 09:11
Intermittent Feaster

Plan: DSTSS
Stats: 280/188/175 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
... I am positively giddy about heading to Ottawa when the weather is better.
Sandi, that's great! I know a lot of people are like your husband and don't like Ottawa. It is very much a company town. However, I remember what it was like in the 1970s, when it just seemed grey. I'm always impressed by how good it looks these days, particularly the parkways and walking areas. I'm a bit prejudiced though, because I have family there, and my daughter attends the University of Ottawa. If you're in the market area, I really like Ma Cusine for cookware. It's expensive, but fun to browse. I find that Domus, which is nearby, has too many gadgets and not enough pots.

If I can help with suggestions on where to get things or Canadian equivalents for low carb, give me a shout. I don't know if you've tried Sugar Twin as a sweetener. It's sodium cyclamate, which is banned in the US, but most other countries allow it. The liquid is 0 carbs, which comes in handy. Also, if you're looking for "American" process cheese for cheese crisps, Kraft Extra Cheddar slices (1 g of carb each) work very well

If you're looking for more esoteric sweeteners like erythritol or for other low-carb goodies, you may have to order from Low-Carb Grocery in Toronto. Right now I'm saving up for a big order, because the postage to Nova Scotia is quite high.

I loved your Revolution Roll tutorial; I wouldn't have thought to use convection, and it worked really well. I couldn't find those cool silicon egg rings, but I did get four English muffin rings for $6, which I greased thoroughly. The Western Creamery cream cheese that I got is the spreadable kind, so it is a lot wetter than block cream cheese. My rolls were also pretty thick, because I only had the four rings. They looked great after 1:20, but when they'd sat cooling on the parchment paper for a bit, I realized they were actually runny in the middle, so I put them back in the oven without the rings for another 20 minutes. Next time I'll add a little flax or hazelnut meal to stiffen up the batter a bit. However, split they made perfect sausage muffins (and now I know not to put them in the toaster--the smell was nasty and they shrunk.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-08, 05:29
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Lu
Sandi, that's great! I know a lot of people are like your husband and don't like Ottawa. It is very much a company town. However, I remember what it was like in the 1970s, when it just seemed grey. I'm always impressed by how good it looks these days, particularly the parkways and walking areas. I'm a bit prejudiced though, because I have family there, and my daughter attends the University of Ottawa. If you're in the market area, I really like Ma Cusine for cookware. It's expensive, but fun to browse. I find that Domus, which is nearby, has too many gadgets and not enough pots.

I think he just doesn't like big cities, we both suffer from claustrophobia so when we go shopping and a store is crowded neither of us do well (I do better because I had to get used to it in Los Angeles), plus I have SLE (Lupus) and I get sick very easily, I'm just now getting better from a trip to the local grocery store a couple days ago that left me with ear infections, sore throat and nasty sinus issues. I can't believe how many people sneeze and cough into open air without covering their mouths... It contaminates everything =/

DH has to go in to the Office one day this week, so I am trying to find sources for shirataki noodles and DaVinci (or equivalent) near his work (Elgin) so he can go buy me some. As long as I can tell him where to go and what to get he is great =)

I do appreciate the advice on kitchen gear, I am having a difficult time equipping my kitchen, I need a number of things that I just can't find, or if I do find it's a cheap substitute that won't last long or do the job as well. I will be checking out Ottawa for kitchen gear as soon as weather and health permit.

Quote:
If I can help with suggestions on where to get things or Canadian equivalents for low carb, give me a shout. I don't know if you've tried Sugar Twin as a sweetener. It's sodium cyclamate, which is banned in the US, but most other countries allow it. The liquid is 0 carbs, which comes in handy. Also, if you're looking for "American" process cheese for cheese crisps, Kraft Extra Cheddar slices (1 g of carb each) work very well

Cheese crisps I make in a non-stick pan with finely grated cheeses, in the states we could get real american cheese at Costco that was truly cheese, not a "processed cheese product" and it was so incredibly good, I will look for this Kraft Extra because I would like to have some for other things if it is comparable to the real stuff I used to get.

Quote:
If you're looking for more esoteric sweeteners like erythritol or for other low-carb goodies, you may have to order from Low-Carb Grocery in Toronto. Right now I'm saving up for a big order, because the postage to Nova Scotia is quite high.

I don't have much of a sweettooth, I never have really.... But I absolutely LOVE baking so I make stuff just for the fun of it and DH is happy to be my guinea pig and eat it all... Well almost all.... I have granular and liquid splenda, xylitol, erythritol and I ordered some brown sugar substitute from the low carb grocery but they sent me the wrong stuff so I am waiting to hear if they got the brown in stock or if I will have to accept a refund instead.

Quote:
I loved your Revolution Roll tutorial; I wouldn't have thought to use convection, and it worked really well. I couldn't find those cool silicon egg rings, but I did get four English muffin rings for $6, which I greased thoroughly. The Western Creamery cream cheese that I got is the spreadable kind, so it is a lot wetter than block cream cheese. My rolls were also pretty thick, because I only had the four rings. They looked great after 1:20, but when they'd sat cooling on the parchment paper for a bit, I realized they were actually runny in the middle, so I put them back in the oven without the rings for another 20 minutes. Next time I'll add a little flax or hazelnut meal to stiffen up the batter a bit. However, split they made perfect sausage muffins (and now I know not to put them in the toaster--the smell was nasty and they shrunk.

I am SO happy that you found it helpful, I went through many different methods and catastrophes before I finally hit upon a method that works well all the time and gives uniform results.

The thicker the roll is the longer you will need to bake it, if it is markedly thicker I would turn the oven down to 200 and cook for 1 hour 45 mins to 2 hours, you want to dry them out evenly so the outside isn't over dry while the inside is still wet. If they are just a bit too soft in the underside center you can simply flip them over and let them dry out on a counter somewhere instead of baking them again, but this only works for slight moisture not underbaking.

Oh and I am not sure who well adding flax to them would help, my experience is that it just weighed the batter down but if it works out for you then I would love to hear about it!

I got my egg rings at Dollarama, I would be more than happy to send you some if you can't get them locally, seriously I would be very pleased to do so, just PM me and we can work out details
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-08, 10:49

Quote:
That's the difference between American cream cheese and Canadian, American has 1 carb per oz (2 Tbl) which works out to .5 carb per Tbl, whereas Canadian comes in at twice that amount at 1 carb per Tbl.

I have gotten so much help here from fellow Canadians about finding better cheese that I am positively giddy about heading to Ottawa when the weather is better <3

Thanks Sandi ..... had no idea.

I'm not too far from Armstrong BC so I think I will be heading in there once the weather is good for some of their cheeses ... apparently Armstrong Cheese have a great cheese shop there and they sell to the public. If it's still there! Will have to check.

Also, I noticed about sweetener .... I use Wholesome Organic, from my local health food store "Natures Fare" .... not sure if you have one in your area .... it's great because it's "0 glycemic, 0 calories, 0 artificial".

I spent a wonderful few days in Ottawa for a wedding a few years ago - beautiful city! My cousin lives somewhere near there now .... in Greely ??

Have a great day

Paula
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 19:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
I'm confused ..... in Dr. Agatston's South Beach Diet book he says that low fat dairy is ok because they DON'T replace the fat with carbs, in dairy only.
They don't typically add sugar carbs, but many cheese/dairy producers add extra low-fat milk solids (the part that contains carbs & casein) to dairy products. So read labels and look for cheeses and milk products that don't boost their carbs when they cut fat.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

In case anyone wants to know, Wholesome Sweeteners' product Organic Zero:

Quote:
...is made from Organic Erythritol
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 07:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Also, I noticed about sweetener .... I use Wholesome Organic, from my local health food store "Natures Fare" .... not sure if you have one in your area .... it's great because it's "0 glycemic, 0 calories, 0 artificial".

I spent a wonderful few days in Ottawa for a wedding a few years ago - beautiful city! My cousin lives somewhere near there now .... in Greely ??

Have a great day
Paula

Thats the sweetener I used to make chocolate rev rolls for ElleH, they came out very nice <3

I have no idea where anything is here, but I haven't heard of Greely yet, I will look for it on the map though, just for reference if nothing else.

I do so love living here
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
In case anyone wants to know, Wholesome Sweeteners' product Organic Zero:
...is made from Organic Erythritol

Actually, according to the producers ...

"Wholesome Sweeteners' Organic Zero is produced from Organic Sugar Cane Juice, which is naturally fermented and crystallized to create first Organic Erythritol (not sure what the first is all about?). Erythritol is a naturally occurring sugar that is found in our bodies, as well as in fruits, and in fermented foods such as soy sauce".

And here is some info from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Erythritol is a natural sugar alcohol (a type of sugar substitute) which has been approved for use in the United States and throughout much of the world. It occurs naturally in fruits and fermented foods. At industrial level, it is produced from glucose by fermentation with a yeast, Moniliella pollinis. It is 60-70% as sweet as table sugar yet it is almost non-caloric, does not affect blood sugar, does not cause tooth decay, and is absorbed by the body, therefore unlikely to cause gastric side effects unlike other sugar alcohols. Under U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) labeling requirements, it has a caloric value of 0.2 calories per gram (95% less than sugar and other carbohydrates), but some countries like Japan label it at 0 calories.

In the body, erythritol is absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine, and then for the most part excreted unchanged in the urine. Because erythritol is normally absorbed before it enters the large intestine, it does not normally cause laxative effects as are often experienced after over-consumption of other sugar alcohols (such as xylitol and maltitol) and most people will consume erythritol with no side effects. This is a unique characteristic, as other sugar alcohols are not absorbed directly by the body in this manner, and consequently are more prone to causing gastric distress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interesting stuff for sure ... and it has no "bitter aftertaste" like the artificial sweeteners do I have read that you still shouldn't consume huge massive quantities though, as it could then cause a laxative effect, but in moderation, in cocoa and in baking etc., it's great to have a "healthy" alternative that actually tastes great