Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-01, 20:37

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site. I started the Atkins Diet approx 3 weeks ago and lost 12 pounds. I have been at a standstill since then. My question concerns CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) I have been hearing alot about this. I'm wondering if any of you use this and what the results are. I understand some people lose weight and some people actually gain it. If you could also tell me where you buy CLA from and what brand/name.

Thanks alot.

Jas
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 00:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello JasmineP,

Welcome to Low Carb Canada!

Before you think you've stalled, read this link from our tips section by Doreen:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html

If you have a lot of weight to lose, you generally lose more at the outset. Low-carbing requires tweaking--it's not a one-size fits all way of eating. Thins to watch out for: dairy products, nuts, "low-carb bars" and diet drinks.

Have a look at the link and post if you have any questions. Can't help you with the CLA. Others will probably have some info and insight on it though.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 00:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Jasmine, welcome aboard! Since you just started 3 weeks ago, 12 lbs is amazing! Congrats. Please note, that on low-carb the first couple of weeks results in a big weight loss, and then it becomes more steady, balanced loss. Occasionally people stall for a week or two, and then continue losing. There's no need to look for any special supplements, since you really don't have a standstill. Sometimes you don't lose weight, but you lose inches! If I'm given a choice between losing either 100 lbs or 10 inches, I'll go for the inches

Let us know about your progress, but pat yourself on the back, for a great start!

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 09:29

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Thank you for your replies Karen and Tamarian.

I appreciate your encouragement and I look forward to corresponding with people who are going through the same thing as me. I think it will actually help me stick through the tough times.

I think having a Canadian site is a wonderful idea.

Talk to you guys later.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi JasmineP, congrats on the weight loss, keep it up girl!

About the CLA, I use the Swiss Herbal brand and it is quite a bit cheaper than the original manufacturers. Tonalin is the parent company that has a patent on the stuff for now but other companies are allowed to distribute the product under their own label as long as they have the Tonalin trademark/logo on the bottle. The most effective dose I've read about is about 7 gm/day. You can read more about what it is and how it can help you on the Tonalin.com web-site. It's very informative and exciting to learn.

Best wishes

deb
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 13:06

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Question

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the update.

I was wondering is the Swiss Herbal brand the same as Swiss Natural Sources? Also, on the bottle is it referred to as CLA - or is it given another name. Just one more question, where did you buy it from??? Sorry for all the questions but I went to a couple of drug stores and they dont seem to have it.

I actually called GNC and Nutrition House and they are charging $30.00 for a bottle of 60 - and its such a low dosage that I would have to take 4-6 pills a day to see any results.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Jasmine
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 13:18

BF:

Hey JasmineP, I think(not sure) the name on the Swiss Natural Sources is conjugated linoleic acid but if you look at the bottom of the label you'll see a little Logo - tonalin in green. You can also go with the Tonalin brand which most health food stores would carry. They make each capsule about 1000mg so yes you'd probably have to take a handful to get the effective dose. I know the price can be prohibituve but you might want to look at this as an investment in your health. Try a bottle or two and see how it works. I had to tell myself that I spent thousands of dollars on the junk and carbs that put me in the obesity boat and now i'll need to invest a few bucks to help get out. Just think of the money you're not spending on junkfood or hi-carb stuff! It can be put toward helping your body overcome the hi-carb lifestyle.

Hope this helps

Deb

I live in the Warden/Sheppard area of scarborough and the small independent health foods stores around me all carry one brand or the other of CLA. Also you can check the research/media section of this forum and there is post by tamarian in Jan all about CLA. The thread name is"conjugated linoleic acid"

Last edited by Deb : Tue, Mar-27-01 at 13:35.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 13:38

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Thanks alot Deb, I'm definitely going to try this out.

You're so right about the money - I used to spend soooo much on chocolates etc etc... and here I am going - this is soooooo expensive. This is an investment - hopefully it will help me out with the weight loss.

Jasmine
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 13:54

BF:

JasmineP, it might help to think that when you buy this expensive product, you'll not want to waste your money by going off the lowcarb lifestyle. I have to tell myself that it's one way or the other. I can't do both (take supplements to lose weight) and eat hi-carb at the same time. I fooled myself for a long time doing that. Of course I didn't get anywhere but fatter and poorer at the same time. Now i realize that it's one way or no way. I hoping to suceed this time as well. Keep in touch and maybe we can compare notes etc.

best wishes

Deb
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 20:08

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hi Deb,

First of all thanks for your help - regarding CLA.

Second, I bought the Swiss Natural Sources CLA today! I'm going to start taking it tomorrow - It looks like i'll be taking 6 tablets a day - is that how many you take.

I'll let you know how it goes. Keep me posted as to how you are doing!!!

Talk to you later,

Jasmine