Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question

Hi everyone!
I've been gone awhile. I just wanted to know: in YOUR EXPERIENCE do calories count? Today I had about 15 carbs but about 2500 calories. Shouls I expect the same weight loss as low calorie?
Thanks
Silvia
PS Have been seeing some other lowcarb website but I think this is the best and most friendly!!! Good worK!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 21:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by silvia
Hi everyone!
I've been gone awhile. I just wanted to know: in YOUR EXPERIENCE do calories count? Today I had about 15 carbs but about 2500 calories. Shouls I expect the same weight loss as low calorie?

In my experience they don't count, I'm a big guy with large frame which makes my basal metabolism quite high. I eat till I'm full.

Quote:
PS Have been seeing some other lowcarb website but I think this is the best and most friendly!!! Good worK!!

Thanks!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-01, 22:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile calories

Hi, Sylvia.

....and in my experience, calories DO count. I'm a short woman (5'2") and I can low-carb and be in ketosis, but if I eat more than say 2000 calories a day I seem to stall. Having said that, I eat till I'm full too; but I can be full and still lose (though slowly; 1 pound a week) on 1500 calories a day.

Atkins (somewhere) recommends eating till you're full, but not stuffed, which seems to be pretty good advice.

I think it's a case of Your Mileage May Vary.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-01, 06:47
Registered Member

BF:
Wink

Thanks guys! And as you say Rachel, I guess my mileage does vary!!!!!

Silvia
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-01, 17:32

Plan:
Stats: 203/122/128
BF:
Progress:

Lol you can always expect everyone to give completely different anwsers eh?

They didn't seem to count for me towards the beginning stages of my woe, but the last 20lbs would have NEVER came off of me without counting caloires as well.

Best of luck to you for finding that perfect balance for you!

Tinakaye
203/127/128
http://tinabelle.tripod.com/lowcarb.html
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-01, 02:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinakaye
Lol you can always expect everyone to give completely different anwsers eh?

LOL! Tinakaye,

Are you becoming Canadian in speech by associating with us, EH?

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-01, 04:20
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your answers. Do you think it's possible that TOO FEW carbs slow my weight loss? Because I have found that when my carb intake is very very low (15 or so) I don't lose much, but if it's around 40/50 I'm happier and the weight comes off quicker and I have even fewer cravings (probably because I can eat a few more things I like such as Wasa crackers and a glass of wine). Is this possible or is it just fluke (it's happened quite a few times)?

I suppose we're all different so I guess it is possible I just wanted to know it's happened to anyone else.
Ciao

Silvia
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-01, 09:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile more carbs, more loss

Well, Sylvia, if it's happened a few times, I'd say it's not a fluke! Go for it, you lucky thing! I'm jealous!

I just (last week) restarted induction after a plateau, or stall, or what-have-you of several months, during which time I was so busy and stressed I didn't have the energy to count carbs or calories. After a week of cutting carbs way down, eliminating desserts, nuts, and cheese, and more or less watching calories (smallish portions and no eating after dinner - my downfall!), I'm down a couple of pounds - finally! So for me, it seems like low carb (under 20), lowish (1500 or so) calorie is the way to go.

The nice thing is, I can always 'relax,' carb and/or calorie-wise once in a while, give myself some LC treats, and at least I know I won't GAIN. Wooohooo!

I REFUSE to give up my coffee, though!!!!!

Rachel
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-01, 15:58
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Rachel,
Thanks for your kindness. I hope your diet works for you, but if all you other low carbers are like me the great victory is the control you have!! So even if you take awhile to lose it the knowledge that you're on your way down and not up is fantastic!!!! So hang on in there!!

Bye
Silvia

PS Because of the beginning of spring and "bikini terror" I started a heavy duty gym program and am hurting just about everywhere!!! Even my elbows!!!!!!!!!11
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-01, 19:08

Plan:
Stats: 203/122/128
BF:
Progress:

Hehehe Karen, can I blame my spelling on ya'all as well?

I have a very good friend from Canada that I have talked to daily for 4 years and have just kinda picked up a bit of the lingo.

Tinakaye
203/127/128
http://tinabelle.tripod.com/lowcarb.html