Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 10:37

Plan: Zone
Stats: 335.2/335.2/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie low-carber w/Hashi's and hypo, have a few questions

First of all, yay! I'm so excited to find this board! I did Atkins a few years ago and couldn't find a good board like this to discuss. I think I ended up doing the program wrong and quit after 3 weeks.

Anyway, I'm older and (somewhat) wiser now, and in the past few years have gotten some answers about my health that puts me in a better position to understand what my body is doing and make decisions based on that.

Ok so here are my questions/background. I am morbidly obese. I am 32 years old, weighed 335.6 lbs yesterday (already weigh 333.6 today-yay!), on a 5'2" frame. Anyway, about a year and a half ago i was diagnosed with severe hypothyroid finally after years of horrible symptoms but no family doctor until i got diagnosed, my TSH levels were off the chart, which explained why I was going through what I was--constant weight gain, depression, exhaustion, hair falling out, heart palpitations, panic attacks, the whole nine yards. Anyway, I've been on synthroid and my doctor is great, and has finally gotten my TSH levels stabilized, my energy is coming back, palps gone, no panic attacks etc, all other symptoms getting better except for the weight, and it's time for me to finally take care of this weight once and for all.

I am doing low-carb way of life (this is day 2), because I know I am highly carb-dependent and i always feel sick after eating etc. However, because of my thyroid issues, by body seems more sensitive to changes, hence why I had to quit Atkins a few years ago when I tried it. So I'm doing a 'lighter' version of Atkins-in other words, I'd like to do a low-carb meal plan but not quite as extreme. Maybe after a few months I'll cut down more and more but I don't want to put my body into shock right now as it will already be tough because of my carb addiction. Here is my question--I take high-quality supplements-B complex, a good multivitamin, a liquid omega 3, and a daily vitamin D. My concern with low-carbing is that I'm not going to get enough potassium, i remember when I did atkins i had terrible leg cramps all the time. So could you please review my sample daily menu (this is what I ate yesterday and plan on continuing around this plan for at least a few months to get my body 'adjusted'-keep in mind i am a carb JUNKIE, looking at my diet over the past few weeks i think about 60-80% of it was carbs) and let me know if I'm getting enough of what i need? thanks!

Breakfast:

daily dose high-quality multivitamin and:

Protein shake:
-1 scoop whey protein powder (low carb)
-3/4 c almond milk
-1/2 c blueberries or other low carb fruit
-1 daily dose high-quality liquid fish oil supplement
-1 daily dose high-quality liquid b-complex supplement
-1 tsp ground flax seed meal (plan in eventually increasing this to 2 tbsp/day)

Snack mid-morning
1-2 deviled eggs, depending on how I'm feeling hunger-wise or 1/3 cup raw almonds, or a piece of cheese, possibly a small small serving of fruit like 10 grapes etc with it if really hungry

Lunch
2-3 c baby spinach
boiled egg
sliced red onion
mushrooms
sprinkle of raw sunflower seeds
1-2 grilled chicken breasts

afternoon snack
about 1 c raw veggies w/hummus to dip

supper
1/2-1 c steamed veggies (asparagus, spinach, etc)
1/2 c quinoa
1-2 servings of protein (chicken breast, fish, steak etc)
(maybe) 1/2 c milk if i'm feeling i need it

if hungry in evening (not usually), snack on a deviled egg or other similar to morning snack.

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions etc and taking the time to respond!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 14:08

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Flaxseed and baby spinach are bad for the thyroid gland's function. Read my post a few down about very low carb/foods to avoid. I'd ask for some T3 to be added to the T4 for the weight issue. Also, hummus is a legume and it is on the list of foods to avoid. Go to www.realthyroidhelp.com for in depth thyroid information. It a tough road. I also have Hashi's but found synthroid didn't help me at all. I am now on Armour plus additional T3.