Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 09:08

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Lots of people have cleared up loose skin with intermittent fasting. Jason Fung says their clinic has never had to refer anyone for skin surgery after a significant weight loss. I think they've said that sometimes people have some loose skin when they get to their weight goal (though typically not like people would otherwise) and then if they keep on doing IF, it usually clears up in a year or so. It's one of the reasons I'm combining IF with low carb.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 09:53

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Yabba - Loose skin is the result of weight loss so its kind of inevitable. However, with time, exercise, dry brushing and lotion, you can help it get better. Exercise will help the legs. I find the arms and belly are more troublesome for me.

However, if you are planning to wear a bikini on your vacation and you are only worried about the skin on your legs you are doing pretty darn good! Congratulations!

I have lost 90+ pounds and would not consider a bikini due to the loose skin on my belly. I bought a swimsuit from Lands end this year and it looks pretty darn good. It is a two piece with a skirt bottom that covers the tops of your thighs, and a tankini top that is not too low in front and covers my belly. it looks like a one piece but it isn't. That makes it a LOT easier to get on and off. It does not look frumpy or old fashioned either. You might look at the Lands End site......they have suits that cover a variety of problems.

I believe my loose skin has improved and I hope it will get better. Exercise, dry brushing, lotion.......fingers crossed!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 16:36

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
Lots of people have cleared up loose skin with intermittent fasting. Jason Fung says their clinic has never had to refer anyone for skin surgery after a significant weight loss. I think they've said that sometimes people have some loose skin when they get to their weight goal (though typically not like people would otherwise) and then if they keep on doing IF, it usually clears up in a year or so. It's one of the reasons I'm combining IF with low carb.

That is so interesting-I actually did an IF protocol for my weight loss phase (ADF), followed by various IF protocols in maintenance/still do 16:8IF for the most part. Never knew that IF might be the reason I have no loose skin, that's wild!
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 04:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

So interesting! And I am continuing with at least a restricted food window, and OMAD a few times a week.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 21:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
That is so interesting-I actually did an IF protocol for my weight loss phase (ADF), followed by various IF protocols in maintenance/still do 16:8IF for the most part. Never knew that IF might be the reason I have no loose skin, that's wild!

DD, would you clarify your IF window? 24hr fasts or just 18:6??
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 10:27

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

For autophagy to increase exponentially--which is what you need to get rid of extra skin--you need to be doing a minimum of 36 hours. IDM/Dr. Fung encourages people to do at least 42 hours.

If you're on a time-restricted eating (TRE) protocol of 16:8 where you limit your meals to an 8-hour window every day, this usually means you're eating lunch and dinner. So, 42 hours is an entire day: You go from after dinner, through the next day, and then to your normal first meal on the next day, which is around lunchtime. Alternate day fasting (ADF) might be 16:8 - FAST - 16:8 - FAST.

When people are in a weight-loss phase IDM encourages fasting at least three days a week and TRE on the other days. I'm not sure how often you might want to do it in maintenance. Partly that depends on your capacity to eat on the other days. You'd need to be eating enough on those days, so you don't lose more weight, if you're at goal. I don't think you get a miracle cure: If you fast a couple of days a week, I understand you can probably expect good results over the course of a year, not a month.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 14:05

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
DD, would you clarify your IF window? 24hr fasts or just 18:6??

For my weight loss phase I did JUDDD, which is ADF (alternate day IF). So I alternated between maintenance level calorie days and then 'fasting' days, where I consumed 500 or less calories. It was surprisingly easy to do and I lost the weight and improved my health markers, (normalized the prediabetic glucose number), while still eating very SAD/not having a clue about nutrition or dieting

Then as I was getting ready to transition into maintenance, (still not really having a clue what I was doing ), Dr. Michael Mosley's BBC documentary came out, Eat, Fast & Live Longer, and he really brought IF to the mainstream. I used his 5:2IF protocol as I transitioned into maintenance and lost a few more pounds. I had 5 maintenance calorie level days a week, with two 500 calorie days a week. After about 6 months of that I became interested in Leangains stuff and began experimenting with IF windows. Did 16:8IF pretty consistently the following few years of maintenance, with an eating window of 11am-7pm. Throughout this time I still tracked calories-either with mental math or tracking on paper or on MFP/cronometer.

Fast forward to today and I'm a bit looser with IF but I still follow the general pattern of not eating before 10am, (excluding coffee), and then wrapping up my eating window by around 5pm or 6pm most nights. But, I've learned to listen to my body's cues and if I'm hungry in the morning or at night then I eat. I do also usually eat something small on Sunday mornings, just because we don't eat lunch till later since we have church/head to the in-laws afterwards. Since transitioning to HFLC this spring I've stopped tracking calories and now I can't get the weight loss to stop, go figure My typical day now is 2 cups of coffee with HWC in the morning (6am/9am usually), my biggest meal between 10am-11am, sometimes a light snack in the afternoon, (like a salmon or tuna packet with mayo and a string cheese etc), coffee with HWC 3pm-4pm, and then supper around 5pm. After that I usually close the kitchen down!

eta: I've never experimented with full fasts like a 24 hour fast, it's just not something that's ever interested me.

Last edited by DaisyDawn : Fri, Jul-26-19 at 14:11.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-19, 06:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I kicked off my Keto with a 3 day fast.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-19, 11:48

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 178/178/147 Female 5ft8.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
our health, our energy while in a stall is still there, sometimes we forget weightloss is the bonus....

Wishing you continued success.

Now Im going to check out Lands Ends suits!!

This! So true, it's so easy to forget. Even though I was stalling I did feel amazing and I really should notice and appreciate that. Thanks!
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-19, 11:56

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 178/178/147 Female 5ft8.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Can I just say...There is lots of talk of loose skin. I don't have an issue with that, mostly the lumpy cottage cheese under my skin which seems to move about sometimes. It is reducing very slowly though. Or do you guys mean the loose skin is giving off the cottage cheese/cellulite effect?

Never had an issue to date with loose skin though. I think IF or contributed to that. I do OMAD 3 days a week and 20:4 4 days a week, but for most of my time on low carb/keto have been on 18:6 until recently.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-19, 20:53

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Don't give up, it took me several years to lose my weight. I find maintenance hard, but not impossible. You can do this, just take it one meal at a time