Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 22:30

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Exercising with Fibromyalgia

Some of the threads on other forums got me thinking about re-starting a super-gentle exercise routine. So far today (and actually the past 2-3 days, but I never got around to posting about it until now) I've done 3 separate exercises, plus walking.

I heard about T-Tapp from another forum about 2 years ago, but never really got past learning the "hoe down". I've found that my stomach is much flatter, plus I have better balance, when I do a set of hoe-downs (3-5 in each direction) once or twice a day.

I've also been doing some arm exercises. I have VERY limited mobility in my arms, to the point where I can't wear back-hook bras or pull-over the head shirts on my bad days. If I move my arms above my head too much, I get burning pains in my shoulders, and this pain can last for several days and interfere with sleep. I need to be very careful not to overdo things.

For the past few days, including this morning, I made some circles with my arms outstretched- about 3 large circles followed by 3 small circles moving backwards, then I repeat them with forward circles.

I've also been doing neck stretches, just moving my head around in circles slowly. Since my shoulder pain extends into my neck, I'm hoping this exercise, if done consistently, will eventually lead to more flexibility and less pain.

Today I did all 3 of these exercises this morning, and I plan to do them again before bed. I also walked around the mall for 4 hours today with my teenaged daughter. Some of the time was spent sitting in the fitting room while she tried stuff on, some of it walking around, and some of it pushing a VERY heavy shopping cart in Target.

I've also been taking Alleve since this morning, as I was in a whole lot of pain last night. I took 2 this morning and 2 this evening. Normally I don't need pain meds to control the fibromyalgia pain, but I'm thinking it might be good to take it in the short term so I'm able to build up some strength and flexibility. This evening I also took a nice hot soak in epsom salts and put some pain-releiving cream on my shoulders.

I do hurt a little big now but it's bearable. I'm wondering if I'll feel better if I do the arm exercises (to encourage flexibility) or not do them (to give my shoulders more time to heal.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-09, 21:56

BF:

Last night my arms hurt too much for the arm circles, so I was only able to do one backwards circle (painfully!) before stopping, but I was able to do 3 Hoe-downs in each direction, the neck rolls, and a few pelvic tilts before bed.

This morning, I did all the exercises before getting dressed, and I was able to do all of them again tonight after my shower. I did the neck rolls a third time in the middle of the day as well, along with doing pelvic tilts whenever I remembered.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-09, 13:41

BF:

I've been keeping up with the gentle exercises twice a day!

I've also added in shoulder rolls- it seems natural after doing the arm circles.