Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 20:41
Contributing Member

Plan: From Atkins to South Beach
Stats: 208/185/160 Female 5'6"
BF:29%
Progress: 48%
Default Another alcohol question

I am still unsure of the reason that not one drop of alcohol is allowed on phase one of SB and induction with Atkins? Why is it okay (in moderation of course) after that first two weeks? What is supposed to happen then that won't happen when you start drinking again. I know I must sound like a functiong alcoholic, well... but I am so confused on this issue. I do plan on drinking again and I just need some insight as to what is so important initially. Thanks from the whino in Indiana.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 21:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

One of the goal of Atkins induction is to rid yourself of cravings. Alcohol can cause you to continue to have cravings, cause you to be uninhibited about eating foods that are unacceptable, and/or cause an increase in your appetite while drinking...and even the next day.

The induction rules have been tested time and time again by Dr. Atkins. If you want to be truly successful, you need to follow the guidelines.

Then again, it is really up to you as the choice to follow it strickly is up to you!

Good luck. If you can do it, do a clean induction and watch the miracle of this diet help you loose weight.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 14:28
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool

I agree with Tapestry everything she said is true..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine9
I am still unsure of the reason that not one drop of alcohol is allowed on phase one of SB and induction with Atkins? Why is it okay (in moderation of course) after that first two weeks? What is supposed to happen then that won't happen when you start drinking again. I know I must sound like a functiong alcoholic, well... but I am so confused on this issue. I do plan on drinking again and I just need some insight as to what is so important initially. Thanks from the whino in Indiana.

The reason they say no alcohol is because when you drink it, the alcohol is burned first before your fat storage is burned. So drinking will stop this process until all the alcohol is burned up.
PP allows for alcohol, small amounts. I use to drink low carb beer, now I drink red wine. I too have had a hard time not having an evening drink, I know it slows me, but I can't cut everything out of my woe.

Take care, from the whino in CA
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 17:34

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hello from another Indiana lush! I've been wondering the same thing. Glad to see the feedback.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 18:29
Contributing Member

Thanks for the responses, I have done low carb since Jan. I never stopped the alcohol until now and I am almost done with a clean phase one.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 19:00
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Good for you You'll probably see a good weight loss!

I should have started in January instead of when I did I had a good head start in Oct., but the holidays set me way back, I am just now starting to get if off again Not smart on my part, this time when I get it off, it will stay off, I hate doing things twice
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 11:11
Contributing Member

In total I lost 7lbs during the "clean" phase one, 17 in total since January. I will be drinking starting Wed. night and I will see if I stall or lose.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 12:17

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

Engine, you are doing so much better than me.
I said I was finishing my supply of beers and than would try without the Alcohol. Remember?
Well, To be honest, I haven't quit it. Just tastes too good.
However I hope I will be able to just quit it for at least 1 week to see if that was really my stall or not. If it was, I guess I have to say bye bye beers and stick with the Wine or no Alc at all.
Let me know how it worked for you.
Cheers
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 15:01
Contributing Member

Yes I do remember, I actually did what you did which was to finish up my supply then start a no alcohol phase one. I really struggled though, I crossed off each day with a green marker and today is my last day!!! The weight did come off quicker, I started low carb Jan. 14th and lost 10 lbs in a little over a month, off the alcohol I lost 7 lbs. in less than 2 weeks. I have added oil of oregano to my regimine so that could have helped. Don't beat yourself up to bad, it does taste good and I will probably have to deal with a slow weight loss so I can continue to drink after today. I will let you know.