Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 19:29

Plan: Healthy carbs:)
Stats: 157/157/119.9 Female 65
BF:Enough!
Progress: 0%
Default Atkins to South Beach

Okay,
So I am wondering if anyone has any answers to a question I have been having. I have been doing Atkins off and on for many many months. I work out at the gym quite off and all in all am pretty healthy. I have recently switched over to SB phase 2 because after being on Atkins so long I just cannot get below 140 lbs. I have been fighting with it for a very long time and hope that this will get things going in the right direction. I have 10 more lbs to go and it just won't budge. If any of you could enlighten me on your experience on how you were able to shed the last few lbs that would be great. Or if anyone has experienced what I have (the slowness of the weight loss) please share. Just to tell you how long I have been working at 20 lbs, it's been 10 months. I know there have been muscle gains, but I don't have THAT much muscle So, my question is: was this a good move to a new woe? I certainly feel better mentally and physically. Thanks for any help you all can bring!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 19:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 168/153/140 Male 5 feet 3 inches short
BF:
Progress: 54%

Welcome to the Beach

I don't have any knowledge about Atkins, but I hope the change in lifestyle will suit you well!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 20:56

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

I am no where near goal but JudyNYC has been there for a while now. She has mentioned that as she got closer to goal she had to control her portions. You might try looking up some of her older journal entries as she did post her food. Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 09:01
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrose81
Okay,
So I am wondering if anyone has any answers to a question I have been having. I have been doing Atkins off and on for many many months. I work out at the gym quite off and all in all am pretty healthy. I have recently switched over to SB phase 2 because after being on Atkins so long I just cannot get below 140 lbs. I have been fighting with it for a very long time and hope that this will get things going in the right direction. I have 10 more lbs to go and it just won't budge. If any of you could enlighten me on your experience on how you were able to shed the last few lbs that would be great. Or if anyone has experienced what I have (the slowness of the weight loss) please share. Just to tell you how long I have been working at 20 lbs, it's been 10 months. I know there have been muscle gains, but I don't have THAT much muscle So, my question is: was this a good move to a new woe? I certainly feel better mentally and physically. Thanks for any help you all can bring!

Hi and Welcome!!

Your profile says that you have not read any low carb books? Is this accurate? It would help you alot to read the SBD book itself. That being said, are you using our updated food lists and meal plan charts. They are located in a sticky up top of this forum.

Yes, I happen to think that the SBD way of eating is excellent and very healthy....but I still do minimize grains and especially flour.

Joesfolks is right about portion control. You are at the last part of your journey and you will have to be very stingy with calorie dense foods and use the portion controls built into this plan to see success. You'll also have to start your phase II as if you are starting all over again as our basic carb levels are much higher than Atkins Induction.

Please put up some of your menus with quantities so that I can better help you .
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 11:59

I have been to the SB forum and printed a list of phase two and three food portions. My daily intake of food is good. I eat until I am not hungry. As far as portions go, they are good as well. I can't say that I was ever much of a strict low-carber. I felt the need to have lots of salads and a piece of whole grain bread here and there. Below is what I have had so far to eat today. Maybe this might give you an idea on my portions. Thanks for your help Judy any advice/guidance is very much appreciated.

B: 1 slice w/w bread, 3 0z turkey, 1 cup salad with olive oil.
S: orange, 15 walnuts
L: 2 oz tuna with mayo, cup of decaff coffee w/ milk
S: small salad with 2 thin slices of ham
d: Turkey
S: tuna w/mayo, slice cheese

Last edited by Redrose81 : Sun, Oct-15-06 at 18:58.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 12:05
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
I have been to the SB forum and printed a list of phase two and three food portions. My daily intake of food is good. I eat until I am not hungry. As far as portions go, they are good as well. I can't say that I was ever much of a strict low-carber. I felt the need to have lots of salads and a piece of whole grain bread here and there. Below is what I have had so far to eat today. Maybe this might give you an idea on my portions. Thanks for your help Judy any advice/guidance is very much appreciated.

1 slice w/w bread, 3 0z turkey, 1 cup salad with olive oil.

What do you feel about my advice about giving up the grains until you are a couple of pounds from your goal weight? That means no flour or grains at all.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 12:27

hmmmm I might consider it Worth a shot! Should I still have fruit or give that up that well for a short time?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 12:38
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
hmmmm I might consider it Worth a shot! Should I still have fruit or give that up that well for a short time?

Still have your fruit but no more than 2 pieces per day. Its the grains/flour the get in the way of weight loss....that's been my experience anyway. and do watch your portions of nuts and cheese!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 12:48

Yes ma'am ty for the advice. I will definately try it out !
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 12:56
Attitude is a Choice

If you are wanting to try a little starch, try a portion ofsweet potato or butternut squash. Also, do avoid any processed foods until you are very close to your goal...ie: flour is highly processed even if it is whole grain.

Good luck!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 13:03

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 168/153/140 Male 5 feet 3 inches short
BF:
Progress: 54%

You're doing a great job adjusting to the SB WoE!! Ask questions when you got 'em. I don't know how good I was at journaling my stuff when I first started....it's probably just full of me complaining about menial things
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 13:05

I have been doing my best to have good for me foods and I prepare a lot of them ahead of time to ensure i have enough. I go through lean ground turkey, egss and tuna like it's going out of style. I found buying unsalted and dry roasted walnuts to be my ticket to not over consuming them. One serving and I am just fine. I am taking it slowly with fruit and dairy (milk especially) because to my body it is such a foreign substance. My bread is a lc 100% whole wheat bread. Has 6 net carbs. I have been strict about not over consuming this as well and so far so good. I am going to give it up for awhile though and see how things pan out. Other than bread I am abstaining from whole grains and I wont have my grains with any meal except breakfast since my days tend to be very long. I love this woe because I am allowed to have all the good for me foods that I couldn't before. I have also read a lot about SB so I'm not completely in the dark
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim709
You're doing a great job adjusting to the SB WoE!! Ask questions when you got 'em. I don't know how good I was at journaling my stuff when I first started....it's probably just full of me complaining about menial things

Its better to complain than not cuz it might be about something important
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 21:11

Food for Monday:

B: 1/2 Tuna with mayo, chopped pickles, and crushed walnuts & orange. 7:45am
S: .5 cup broccoli,turkey burger, other 1/2 of tuna and what not 11:00am
L: Ground turkey 1:00pm
6:00pm-7:35pm: Yoga class.
D: small portion of turkey, large salad with cheese. 8:15pm

Running low on veggies so that is why there is a lack of them in my food for today. Going to pick more up though today. weight is 147.2 for today and will check in next monday to see the change.

The yoga class was so awesome. It is a real butt kicker but i know that it is going to help me out tremendously.

Last edited by Redrose81 : Mon, Oct-16-06 at 20:27.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 21:17

Food for Tuesday:

B: 3 scrambled eggs, 1 cup milk 8:30am
S: 2 cups salad with walnuts, 10z cheese, 20z tuna, 1 tbsp mayo, salad dressing 10:30am
L: Turkey burger 2:00pm
S: SF Jell-O 3:00pm
Supplements, gym 6:00-7:00
D: Salad with ham, cheese, tuna, mayo 7:15pm

*subject to change

No weighing today. that is another bad habit that I slowly need to rid myself of. Eating right, exercising and keeping a positive mind will ensure that good is to come. The weight loss, if meant to be, will follow as well.

Well I weighed, so shoot me ....
I slept in late as well. I cant believe how much yoga kicked my butt, but in a good way though. I am definately impressed. This is an 8 week course 2x a week so hopefully I will see results with it. Parts of me hurt that I didn't know could hurt. I wonder how this will benefit me or if it will with weight lifting and cardio. Cardio I know is fine, but I know weight training builds the muscle where as yoga lengthens it.

I can't believe how sore I progressively getting throughout the day. I still intend on doing weight training tonight, but taking it easy. I have a quiz tonight for my nutrition class and hopefully I won't forget to do it like I missed out on last week. Food has been awesome today and still no desire for sweets. I can say though that I wouldn't mind a diet coke right now, but it has been just over a week since I have had any and I don't want to break that just yet.

Last edited by Redrose81 : Tue, Oct-17-06 at 16:23.