Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 06:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Quit Smoking. Gain Weight. Is it inevitable?

I'm happy to say that I finally got smart and quit smoking....May 7. So far, saved about $500.00.

Unfortunately, I've gained back 5 lbs of the weight I've kept off for more than a year. The weight gain is bad, but worse is the feeling of losing control. I don't know what I'm doing to cause the pounds to come back. I have been eating some low carb bread and tortilla's lately, so I've cut that out. Maybe going back to basics will help. I just don't know...and that's the scarey part.

Sure like to hear from other "quitters" out there! Did you gain after quitting smoking? How did you solve the problem?

judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 07:00
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi and MAJOR CONGRATS for quitting smoking!! That is a really huge deal and you should really try to stay focused on that for now. When I quit back in September I went through the exact same things you're feeling now. I was firmly entrenched in LC when I quit and was easily maintaining a good weight of 156...I was quite content there. But when I quit I rapidly gained weight...like 5-10 pounds in the first couple of months. After that I've been gaining pretty steadily about 2#/month, not exercising and carbs were probably in the 60-100g range. I finally had to come to grips with the fact that my metabolism had just *slowed down* after quitting...so here I am....back to basics and counting calories to boot.

My advice to you is that you do need to stay focused on your smoking cessation and do what you gotta do to stay quit, first and foremost. The best way to counteract the effects of quitting is to increase your exercise and try to build some muscle with weight training. Otherwise you can do like I did and just relax for a few months, focus on staying quit, and then worry about the weight in a few more weeks.

I think that I was pretty classic -- I ate forbidden foods because they just tasted so good. And I ate more because I didn't have cigarettes to use as an appetite suppressant.

But in the end I feel OK about it all because I'm most pleased with a 10 month quit and going strong.

Best of luck to ya. Let me know if I can help.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 08:33

BF:

Hi Teri,

Thanks for responding. Actually, it was reading about your experience this morning that prompted me to post the question. Looks like you're on the right track now mentally, at least. It's so damn frustrating, isn't it?

I've never been able to get above 35 carbs a day on a regular basis and not gain...and that's before I quit smoking. It's only been about 6 weeks non-smoking for me and I didn't gain anything the first month, (felt pretty smug about it, too..Ha!), but I've put on 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks.

I have no intention of going back to smoking. I know that's not the answer. It's kind of nice not having to make the $$ choice between cigarettes and rent!

The best thing about lowcarbing for me has been the realization that finally I'm in control. For over a year now, I've known what made me put all those pounds on...and I've known what I have to do to get rid of them. Right..until I quit smoking. Now, I almost feel like I'm going back to that desperate feeling of gaining, gaining, gaining.

People say there are no magic answers. Well, finding the lowcarb lifestyle--and this forum--back in July 2002 was a magic answer for me. I guess I'm looking for another one now.

judy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 13:37
Starting Over!

Judy -- you sound EXACTLY like I did when I first quit. I truly was very, VERY anxious about it. I really had to have a bunch of conversations with myself before I got to where I am today. I don't know how old you are but for me, approaching menopause as I am, I felt like I was at a crossroads...that I had to choose between fighting this fat war the rest of my life, or just 'letting go' and accepting that I'd never be thin again...that this was my lot in life now. Oh how I agonized as I watched the scale move ever closer to my all-time high weight! And then I put the brakes on!! I got real, just like I did when I decided to quit smoking. I knew what I had to do to get the weight off...I just didn't want to do it!! But, after shopping for hours and hours one day and coming home with NO new clothes, I came to accept the reality of my situation: that no longer would I have the luxury of eating 2000+ calories per day and maintaining my weight...those days were over. I knew the time had come to lower my calories, lower my carbs and get my butt in gear if I wanted to lose this weight (again). Yes, it's harder this time.... but if I can quit smoking, I can do anything.

For you, at this juncture, you are just coming to grips with the reality that you'll never smoke again and that is a lot to deal with. Later you will have to come to grips with the reality that you'll have to lower your calories or increase your activity to enjoy that lower weight.

But let me tell you one thing, LC is still a miracle for all of us...because we feel better AND can eat more calories than in the old days.

Life is STILL good, just give yourself a little time to do the mental adjusting. Go easy on yourself for now. The answers will come in time.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 14:17

BF:

Hi Teri,

Menopause? Been there, done that! Except for the extra hair on my face, (why does it move from under your arms to your chin?) menopause was a breeze. I'm 62 now and feel better than I did at 50, so I ain't gonna let this current bump in the road defeat me!

Do I really have to lower my calories? Damn! I just got used to eating like a human being after years of rabbit food. Guess it's time to start exercising. Just bought myself a BodyFlux 2 IN 1 Elliptical Stationary Bike on eBay for $90.00 US. Still have to pick it up...still trying to figure out how to get the thing into my Sunbird.

Just noticed the other thread you started recently, Teri, so I'm going to head on over there. Are you going to try Oil of Oregeno?

judy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 14:31
Starting Over!

No, I'm not taking Oil of Oregano. I did a little research on it and I don't suffer with any symptoms it is said to alleviate -- no allergies, asthma, yeast overgrowth, acne...none of that. Am I missing something?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 12:31
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Studies found that 1/3 of people gain, 1/3 stay the same, and 1/3 actually lose.

One of the big reasons for gaining is that food tastes so much better. Smoking deadens the taste buds. If you are already eating LC, then you can appriciate the food you have now, not be tempted by the high carb things.

Another problem is stress. When you start to get a sever ciggarette craving, stop and ask yourself if that is what it is. Don't reach for food right away without analyzing what the problem is.

Get a hobby to keep your hands busy as well. Often the hardest thing is just not having a cigg to hold and occupy hands. For the first little bit also try to avoid situations wher eyou are accustomed to smoking. Bars are a big one. For me I couldn't go in chat rooms and prefered not to drive anywhere for the first couple weeks as those were my prefered smoking times.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 12:50
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Hiya Jude...

I'm a "quitter".....almost 13 months now....hooray!

Anywho....I'm a quitter who gained....and gained.....oh, and gained...
however, you don't have to be. When I quit, I made the decision to do whatever it took to stay quit. For the first little while, I was able to maintain my LC lifestyle...and maintain my weight....I stopped losing and found that frustrating. I started eating more illegal foods when the smoking cravings got tough and before you know it....I really wasn't low carbing anymore...although I tried to convince myself I was. I finally got back on track 6 months ago. I have a good friend who quit at the same time....kept LCing and although she maintained for around 5 to 6 months, she started dropping soon after that. So....you can do both and do both successfully.....sadly, I am not a good example for you. I was only able to deal with one demon at a time

Wishing you all the best and much success!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 15:07

BF:

Hi Josie and Ladybelle,

Thanks guys! Ha, I wonder how you get to be the 1/3 that loses? Don't worry, Josie, you'll get rid of those extra pounds in no time.

I guess the bottom line is there are no hard and fast rules. I'm still not sure if it just "happens" (at least in the beginning) or if eating differently--whether we realize it or not--is the culprit.

I could almost swear I was doing nothing differently when I put on those 5 pounds, because I'm so paranoid about gaining, but who knows? On the other hand, a weird thing happened to me yesterday. For the first time in weeks, my calories were up to over 1800...and this morning I'd lost 2 lbs. Go figure.

judy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 15:30

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

Can I ask all of you responing tp this thread: What method did you use to quit (patches, gum, Allen Carr)? This is sick, but when I contemplate quitting, I smoke even more! You've all been successful thus far, so I'm wondering what motivated to get rid of the little demonic tobacco sticks.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 16:12

Stats: 116/116/110 Female 5'4
BF:15%
Progress: 0%

MeltingFst:

I was a pack a day smoker until 2 days ago. My lungs started hurting real bad and smoking began to feel like a prison. I always selled like smoke and began to feel like a mutant. I went out and bought Smoke Away (which doesn't seem like it helps) but what is really helping me is the following link:
http://quitsmokingonline.com/

I read that before I quit and sometimes refer to it when I feel weak.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 19:03

Stats: 170/169/160 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 10%

My main motivation was cost - plus I found myself with a nagging cough that I'd always been proud to say I'd never had. You should arm yourself with everything. I used patches, gum, water, jelly beans. I hope someday to lose the weight that suddenly appeared but quitting is the far better thing to do - worry about weight after you've got a handle on the other. Check out http:www.quitnet.com for support of your valiant effort.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 19:36
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Jude....congrats on the two pounds!

MeltingFst.....I used the patch for three days (leftovers from my husbands previous attempt to quit)...then I went cold turkey. I was almost at two packs a day when I quit...$16.00 a day for me....I knew the health risks....but I was angry at the money I was spending especially since my DH smoked too....he also quit the same day I did. So now I have happy lungs and a happier bank account
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 07:20
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Ohhhh do I know the chest pains. For a month or more before I quit smoking my chest felt like there was a 20 pound weight on it. Was scared stiff to quit. Ive cried alot when I noticed there were no more ciggs around for when the stress hit,lol. But I got over it hour by hour. Not day by day for me. I am on day 40 today and using quitnet.com chatroom has helped me more than I ever exspected. For me weight gain was small compared to the one other time I quit smoking. Before lc-ing I gained 25 pounds when I quit. This time 7 pounds. I hate the weight gain but I'd trade that for functioning lungs any day.

Angel

Angel
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 12:46

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi...I know this is an old thread but I have the same concern.

I've been on the patch for a month and I have actually lost weight, but I started LC'ing about 3 weeks ago, so that's what's causing the weight loss.

But now I just stepped down to the next-lower dosage (from 21mg to 14mg) and I'm wondering if my metabolism will feel the difference. I'm just so afraid of gaining weight as I lower my dosage. Does anybody have any idea?