Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What do you eat or not eat?
I'm an omni, I like meat (chicken included)! 20 29.85%
I eat fish as my only meat source. 14 20.90%
I'm a vegetarian (with some combo of eggs and dairy) 28 41.79%
I'm a strict vegetarian/ vegan. No animals or their by products on my plate, thanks. 4 5.97%
I'm a tru vegan. No animals or their product on my plate or on my body. 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 09:56

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Are you a veggie? If so, what kind?

I was wondering about the users of this thread what what kind of eater you are. I'm currently vegetarian. And you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 20:58

Plan: My own version
Stats: 206.5/199.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I am an ovo/lacto vegetarian. I eat eggs and dairy. Thought about going more towards vegan, but I don't think I could ever give up cheese.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-04, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: reduced carb
Stats: 133/96/96 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by njveggie
I am an ovo/lacto vegetarian. I eat eggs and dairy. Thought about going more towards vegan, but I don't think I could ever give up cheese.

njveggie you stole words from my mouth I am lacto-veggie with intention to go vegan but heck the cheese
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 02:34

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Well...I've just made the switch back to pesco-vegetarian yesterday. A year and a half of Atkins with meat after three years of eating no meat but fish...and I thought it would help more than it did...but the results have been somewhat disappointing...enough so that I am continuing to low carb, but I'm not eating the meat any more...it's not worth it. I don't think I will suffer any because of this.....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 04:11
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Also lacto-ovo vegetarian.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 18:30

Plan: Rosedale Diet
Stats: 179/175/120 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I was strict vegetarian (don't eat animal products) but with the fish oil capsules that the Rosedale Diet recommends, I can't really say that now. And I've occasionally caved and had some sardines on the plan. It's basically low carb with high omega 3s. I'm only on day 7.
I've been vegetarian for about 2 1/2 years but remained fat. I wasn't a total junk food vegan, but I do love my carbs. I tried to eat high fiber grains but the world just doesn't cater to healthy people. I got a lot healthier this way, but my daughter's wedding is in May and I want to get slim for it. I've got about 55 lbs. to lose.
It's encouraging to know there are other vegetarians out there who are also trying to do this. So many of my friends think I'm nuts (...well, I AM nuts, but not just because of this).
- VeggyKaren
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 23:32

Plan: Vegetarian Low Carb
Stats: 142/124/115 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I'm vegetarian most of my life, except for a brief period as a young adult, and while my kids were very young. My eldest daughter announced a couple of years ago that she wanted to go vegetarian, so the kids and I followed along. Truthfully, I was really happy about it. Even when we ate meat, we didn't eat much of it. I've just never felt very healthy when I ate meat. I suppose it just isn't my thing.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 23:00

Plan: Ny Body Plan
Stats: 150/147/125 Female 63 in
BF:24.1
Progress: 12%

Im a fish eater but no dairy and certainly no beef chicken or pork =) was a strict Tru Vegan for a while though.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 03:49

Stats: 225/205/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

lacto-ovo vegetarian here... was just lacto (love cheese too much) but just brought eggs back into my diet to help with veggie Atkins.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 06:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Not veggie, but my b/f is ovo-lacto and I enjoy the challenge of trying to come up with meals we can both enjoy.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 22:51
sr5

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Week five of ovo-lacto vegetarian diet.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 06:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5
Week five of ovo-lacto vegetarian diet.

Congrats, sr5... hope veggie low-carb life is working out for you!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 16:03
Registered Member

Plan: I dont exactly
Stats: 300/215/- Male 74
BF:
Progress:

vegan here. For about the last 9 - 9 1/2 years. In the first month alone I went straight from kentucky fried chicken to doing a couple fasts and vegan. I lost about 50 pounds in the first month and got horrible die-off that lasted about a year before my joints stopped aching. It also got rid of my allergies for quite a while.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 12:15

BF:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmedic
vegan here. For about the last 9 - 9 1/2 years. In the first month alone I went straight from kentucky fried chicken to doing a couple fasts and vegan. I lost about 50 pounds in the first month and got horrible die-off that lasted about a year before my joints stopped aching. It also got rid of my allergies for quite a while.

Wow, sounds more than just a bit painful.

Are you definitely doing low-carb now, or just considering the idea, if I may ask?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: I dont exactly
Stats: 300/215/- Male 74
BF:
Progress:

well to be honest being vegan you cant really be low carb to an extent. Since I get all my protein from beans and grains it is almost impossible to be low carb. What I can say is that I cut out things that don't agree with my for instance I don't eat any of the wheat, spelt, kamut, barly, rye, oatmeal stuff. I have fairly severe reactions to those.

Other than that I eat sprouts for some of my bean goodness and I like garbanzo beans which have allot of good nutrients in them. I mix this with grains like buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa and corn.

I've got a really good buckwheat browny recipe that uses applesauce, carob, buckwheat and honey for sweetener. For the raising agent I use a half teaspoon of food grade hydrogen peroxide since baking soda has toxic salts in it that are horrid for you. You can use honey in them for sweater in the amount you want. It is very good.

I also eat potato's, nuts and other things. I don't worry about fat content at all because I don't eat any refined fats or oils whatsoever. There refining process makes them poisonous to your system anymore. This didn't used to be so but for maybe the last 30 years or so they have been using gmo bacteria to refine oils and make them supposedly more pure.

I also don't eat any sugar or sugar substitutes at all. Only honey or fruit.

Honestly the main thing about craving foods is because your body is not getting nutrients that it needs. Take pica for example were pregnant women crave things like dirt and chalk. It's the same thing to the extream. So when you do change your diet like this after a time you actually feel much better and don't crave foods for the most part. Even when my candida acts up and I crave a few sweets. The cravings are not really that bad.

I also only eat two meals a day. You see you eat for energy. That is the sole purpose to eat. To give you enough energy to make it through the day. So when you get up first thing in the morning you take a big breakfast since the rest of the day is still ahead of you. Then for lunch eat a little less than you did for breakfast since your day is half over.

Then if you can at all avoid it don't eat supper since the next thing you will be doing is going to bed and your stomach is a mussel just like other muscells in your system it needs rest and when you eat at say 5 or 6 or later in the day and then go to bed your stomach is still working and your sleep in not as sound. If you have to eat anything at all later in the day make it small a little fruit with a piece of toast and maybe a little honey on it but no butter or anything else. This will help to get a good nights sleep and feel better when you get up in the morning.

Also no eating between meals and give yourself about 5 - 6 hours between meals. This will give your stomach plenty of time to finish it's work. If you eat sooner than that then your stomach has to stop what it is doing and work on the new food you just put in there. IN the mean time your older food is sitting there waiting and it starts to ferment which makes bad blood.

One last thing the all gone or hungry feeling people get is actually your stomach trying to rest after being over worked. You know when you go to the gym and workout hard and then your muscles get sore well it's the same way with your stomach.

All these things do help and as you get healthier your really notice because the cravings go away and you simply are not hungry most the time. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat.

Almost forgot make sure to eat at the same times each day with little variation. You body gets used to eating at the same times and expects it. It starts making siliva and gets ready. If you then eat more than say 30 minutes different either way then it puts an extra heavy load on your stomach trying to digest the food.

Last but not least yes sometimes I do go fairly low carbohydrate and when I do the pounds more or less drop off. It also helps to get exercise though.