Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-19, 11:10

Plan: Ketogenic Diet Dr Westman
Stats: 267/243.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question Is there a Dr. Westman's keto thread?

Hi all. I've never been able to get the search to work for me. So has anyone seen a Keto thread anywhere on here?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-23-19, 11:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

here is one. looking for the other
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471186
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-19, 04:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I think that's the thread I have been using to post any new Dr. Westman info. As I re-read it, there have been many changes to booklets, links to the clinic diet, etc. but here is a version many used with great success, he gave his permission to post this one on DietDoctor. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf The cream and mayo should be 2T, not 4T, but that is minor.

His Support Group Facebook page is active, and the advice from smart Admins is 100% "page 4". https://www.facebook.com/groups/Duk...rbSupportGroup/
Check out the Files there as well. Good info.

He also started a blog/website where you can download a summary "page 4", watch that campy old teaching video and much more. https://drericwestman.blog

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-24-19 at 04:48.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-19, 17:39

Plan: Ketogenic Diet Dr Westman
Stats: 267/243.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thanks ladies for the links. I do belong to Dr. Westmans Facebook page. I'm looking for a group that's a little less, um, military about page 4. I mean our bodies are all different.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-19, 18:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dar, in case you dont know, Westmann's program is a stricter vertion of DANDR. Perhaps DANDR will serve your needs.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-19, 06:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Dar, in case you dont know, Westmann's program is a stricter vertion of DANDR. Perhaps DANDR will serve your needs.
Or the New Atkins for a New You. that's how I started until I met him in 2010 and later joined the clinic as a patient. But you have already used DANDR and CAD for some years without success. Yes, our bodies are all different, but some people are carbohydrate intolerant/IR, and cannot handle carbs. They are the ones who need the clinic diet and that FB is military about page 4, because that is what Dr. Atkins, and now Dr. Westman, used in the Clinics with real Patients. Dr. Atkins may have written books for the general public with "ladders" and longer allowed food lists, but to be certain that the diet worked for the sickest of patients who paid to see him, he and Jackie kept them on a stricter version of induction. Page 4 is a distillation of what they used in the clinic.

Dr. Westman's wait room was eye opening. Missing limbs, people waiting for heart transplants, people confined to wheelchairs, morbid obesity, about half his patients are referred from social services. Getting to a healthy goal weight is not optional, the woman who posted last night is an example.

When the FB group was set up back when, we agreed the answers would be the same as Dr. Westman would give in the monthly in-person support group or in his office. All the admins are former patients. There is no waffling on nuts or nut flours (or chaffling of late ) No recipes not fully compliant. If you are not bothered by the sweet taste and sugar in bottled dressings, if it doesn't trigger cravings in you, feel free to use it. But the answers given on FB will follow the clinic rules which is backed up by 50 years of combined experience with clinic patients. Sugar-laden dressings often lead to carb cravings and a cycle of weight regain. There is a reason for these guidelines: "Effective carbohydrate count of meat or condiments should be 1 gram or less.
• Also check the ingredient list. Avoid foods that have any form of sugar or starch listed in the first 5 ingredients."

The IRL group moderator has a great YouTube channel that explains the keto diet. She has a new playlist on YouTube of 15 videos of super simple meals she and her husband eat. Nothing "processed" but she buys the packets of aspargus at Costco that take 3 minutes to microwave. Add piece of meat (cook everything in one cast iron skillet), 1T olive oil and salt on salad, and you have a filling nutrient dense meal in a few minutes. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr...YlZ9oOs5EoI7CFA

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Oct-28-19 at 02:30.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-19, 07:19

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Thanks ladies for the links. I do belong to Dr. Westmans Facebook page. I'm looking for a group that's a little less, um, military about page 4. I mean our bodies are all different.

I found that military is what suits me. It is how I turned my life and health around. I was going in a very bad direction and did not want to end up like my paternal grandmother in a wheel chair with 2 legs amputated. I was not yet diagnosed as diabetic but that might have been because I didn't consult a doctor I just decided to change my diet. I didn't follow Dr. Westman but Dr Richard Bernstein's 6-12-12 eating plan. This was about 15 years ago and I stuck with it religiously for probably 10 years. I still keep my carb count very low. I have a kind of mantra "if you want the results you have to create the causes". This can take some brutal self-honesty.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-19, 11:13

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Or the New Atkins for a New You.
The one that allows caffeinated coffee!