Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Interested to meet other Ontario lowcarbers this summer?
Yes, and Toronto would be great. 16 76.19%
Yes, but I prefer another location. 3 14.29%
Can't make it in the summer, maybe later in the year. 2 9.52%
Not interested, but thanks anyway. 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 14:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Cool Ontario Get-Together .... let's DO it!!

OK folks, southern Ontario is a mighty big place, but surely we could find a day SOON to all get together. Toronto seems like the natural central location.

I've posted this poll first just to see if there's interest and folks willing to commit. I'm serious, I'd love to meet everybody, but I'm coming from Kingston, and I'd sure be disappointed to drive for 2.5 hrs and have nobody show up.

My thought is to meet someplace close to the 401 or other main artery -- would be a lot more convenient for the majority than trying to drive downtown .. ... Someplace like a chain ... Red Lobster, the Keg, Mother Tucker's ... where the menu is pretty reliable ... and lowcarb .. and there would also be lots of parking available.

Any other ideas????

Let me know .... vote now!!

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 16:43

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

I like the idea.
But I certainly don't think that the restaurants that you mentioned would be low carb. to me.
Since I started my LC WOE in mid March I have particularly stayed away from these restaurants, because of my lack of will power to not stuff myself with carbs.
I have turned to cooking my own food to be safe.
Is there such a thing as a low carb restaurant in the greater Toronto area?
Wa'il certainly has not been apprised of any in his new list of LC Restaurants in Ontario.
I would be thrilled to hear of a restaurant in this area that specializes in LC food, or has a LC Menu.
I wonder how Karen and the Vancouverites approach this subject out West.
Maybe we should ask them to 'bus' here to the east and start our first get together.
Regards
Joe
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 20:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Believe me Joe, when you're sitting at a restaurant with a bunch of other committed low-carbers, the last thing you'll hear anyone say is:

Pass the bread please or what's the pasta today or do you want to split a dessert?

There is strength in numbers!

We would love to drive the Magic Bus to TO, but we're too busy writing haiku, sonnets and drinking lattes made with whipping cream.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 20:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:

doreen, there's a keg right on the markham rd. exit in scarborough. oh! i forget, we don't call it scarborough anymore! it's all the mega-city of toronto there's also a red lobster about 4 stop lights south. i'm familiar with this area because it's where i grew up and returned to as a boomerang child.

ooooh!! i'm getting so excited!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 21:00

BF:

oh karen! you're part of the high-brow crowd! i'm envious!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 22:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm blaming Rachel for all that high falutin' stuff!

Well, she had nothing to do with the lattes.

K
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 23:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Believe me Joe, when you're sitting at a restaurant with a bunch of other committed low-carbers, the last thing you'll hear anyone say is:

Pass the bread please or what's the pasta today or do you want to split a dessert?

This is SO TRUE. Stepho's, the greek restaurant we usually go to, has these freshly made garlic/butter drenched toasted pita bread, with hypnotic smell that drwas bread addicts nuts! First meeting, my buddeis just pulled them away from me (they saw that look in my face, and me salivating over them while we were waiting for a table), and since then I knew better than to grab one of those sinful slices

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 07:28
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by jomil

[Is there such a thing as a low carb restaurant in the greater Toronto area?
Alas, Joe, if there's a restaurant anywhere that specializes in lowcarb, outside of the Atkins center in New York ... *sigh* ....

But, I have never encountered a problem asking the server to hold the croutons, substitute more vegetables for the potatoes or rice, or a salad instead of fries, etc.... In fact, any "resistance" I've encountered has come from my non-lowcarbing dining companions!

As our friends on the Wet West Coast have found, Greek restaurants are pretty reliable for offering menu selections amenable to lowcarbing -- grilled lamb, meats, fish ... big salads, fresh vegetables. Good coffee too. Steak houses are also another good choice. French, German and Italian are out ... everything's been dredged in flour ... and Chinese has cornstarch and/or sugar in everything.

For me personally, my desire is to meet and socialize ... Of course I would like the meal to be delicious, but I predict that I won't be eating very much ..

So, let's see who else is interested to join us, then we can firm up the details of when and where.

Oh, and I will be bringing a camera!! ..

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 07:53

BF:

when dave and i go out to dinner, we usually go to the same barbeque place. the main course is no problem and then you pick your sides. we tell them not to bring the bread as well. it's no big deal staying lowcarb there, as long as i limit myself to 1 glass of wine! hehehe!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 11:32

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Toronto area

Hi Doreen, I voted yes to Toronto....but I would hope that wouldn't mean downtown Toronto!!! Toronto area would be great for me, but hopefully somewhere on the outskirts....east, west or north!!! Remember, I'm the country gal who avoids driving downtown Toronto unless it's an emergency!! I might even see if I could get my low carb guy to join us. (He's getting to be quite a fan of the Bootcamp section on the forum, and is probably one of our best lurkers). Perhaps I could get him out of the closet to join us!!!

I have no problem with the Keg, Red Lobster or any of the chains...there's always a way to make a meal low carb. Red Lobster is one of my choices for low carb....just avoid those darn biscuitsand croutons!!!...There's that great Health Food Store in Thornhill just off Highway #7 beside the Promenade Mall... It's a really good store that carries many low carb products and if there were any restaurants in that area that would be a fun place to go as well. I believe the name of the store is the Nutrition House or something close to this. I don't know this area, but did visit the Health Food Store once.

This area would be about 2.5 hour drive for me.

I think it's smart to pick a location/restaurant that's easy for people to recognize. Although I'm sure with your scanning skills etc...etc.. we'll be kept posted on the location. (I'm the map scanner at the office for directions for visitors!!)

For most of us I'm sure setting a date and getting it on our calendars is the best way to make a commitment.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-01, 17:56

BF:
Cool

Can anybody recommend a good Greek restaurant that specializes in BBQ lamb, and would be willing to substitute all the high carbs with salads and veggies, and is located near a major intersection in the GTA area?

All the good Greek restaurants that I am familiar with are located on the 'Danforth', which is pretty well downtown Toronto.

What about a Coffee house like Starbucks to begin with, I love their Iced Capacinos, or even Tim Hortons that is on every corner in Ontario, including the highway rest stops?

Regards
Joe
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-01, 19:50

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Oh my I didn't know about this until I read a post where Doreen was telling a fellow about it.

Way too neat. I had to vote, "can't make it in the summer but maybe later in the year". My work is much busier in the summer months and calms down when florida time rolls around. This is usually around October.

Sure hope you folks can pull this off and then make it a regular. I certainly would be interested
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-01, 21:19
Forum Founder

BF:

LOL - Wendy ... regular may just end up being an annual event! with some of us driving 2.5 hrs each way, and the $$$ for a tank of gas. But I'm sorry you can't make it this time .. ... (I was wondering if maybe you hadn't seen us down here)

Joe, I'm sure most restaurants who pride themselves in excellent service will not mind at all if we request substitutes and no bread. Many restaurants have their menus posted online, so once we firm up a locale, such as Markham/Scarborough areas which have been suggested ... then we can narrow down the search to type of food.

Meeting for coffee would be wonderful, and if I lived closer I'd say let's meet tomorrow!! But, as it is, I'm driving from Kingston ... and I know Sharon is coming down from Owen Sound, so a meal setting --- preferably in a sealed off room where we won't disturb other patrons, not that I'm planning on being rowdy or anything .. ... Ooops, is anybody expecting me to behave???

As for date, the sooner the better, before the end of July ... as in the next 2 or 3 weeks. SO FOLKS ... do we want a weekday or weekend?? Lunch/afternoon, or Dinner/evening??

Afternoon would be good for me, since it wouldn't be late at night driving home afterward. An evening dinner, I might contemplate staying overnight in Scarborough ... but don't want to leave my kitties too long!!

Let us know. I'll try to find a map that I can post here as well.

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-01, 07:40

Stats: 245/245/145
BF:
Default Love to meet everyone

Hi all,

I just read a post about an Ontario get together and think it's a great idea. I'm pretty flexible with any location in the GTA and surrounding areas. I've done a little research on some restaurants and here's what I've found:

Mr. Greek:

1) 14760 Yonge Street (Aurora - South of Wellington St.) 905-727-5488

2) 9218 Yonge Street (Richmond Hill - Corner of Carville to the west and 16th to the east) 905-709-9800

3) 1957 Kennedy Road (South of 401) 416-292- 7788

Red Lobster:

a) 3252 Sheppard Ave. E (between Warden Ave & Pharmacy) 416-491-2507

b) 7291 Yonge Street (Thornhill - North of Centre Street) 905-731-3550

There was also mention of the Natural Health Market at #7 and Bathurst Street beside the Promenade Mall. There is a Swiss Chalet a couple of stores over in case anyone is interested.

I hope this info helps and I'm presuming that a post will appear with the date. Will it be in this international section because I usually don't check it.

Thanks,
Sylvie p
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-01, 08:00

BF:
Cool

To Sylvie and Dr. D. (Doreen)

That's a great list Sylvie. I have never eaten at Mr.Greek and the location at 401 and Kennedy sounds pretty central and closer for Dr. D.

Red Lobster (to me anyways) has a lot of butter and fat in many of their dishes, so I try to stay clear of temptations.

What do the rest of the interested LCarbers think?

Regards
Joe