Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 17:14
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Richard Nikoley said in several places that adding potato starch gave him gas, so I was expecting gas in the form of flatulence.

I've been burping a lot since starting this. I don't understand why. It seems like the little buggers are producing gas too high in my digestive tract. I wonder what it means that I'm burping. Is it normal to have bacteria living in your stomach? I thought they were supposed to reside in the colon primarily. I'm not taking the probiotic and potato starch at the same time, so it's not that.

Maybe SIBO? I'm doing research at the moment as to why fibre and resistant starch give be severe explosive diarrhoea and that's what I'm thinking. I also get burping too. Not sure how to treat it though.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 17:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My cat gets IBD too, and allergies, but only if I feed her chicken. I want to try Florentero. My kitties need something too.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Apr-28-14 at 17:45.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 17:44
Experimenter

BF:

Dr. Liu has a protocol for tackling SIBO. I think her blog is Animal Pharma.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 18:11
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Dr. Liu has a protocol for tackling SIBO. I think her blog is Animal Pharma.

Thanks Nancy, I'll take a look.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 23:09

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I was just talking to the vet about this since my cat won't touch food with Fortiflora (daily dose forever w/IBD) on it, but likes Florentero (7-10 day dose, which comes from Italy but is cheaper in the long run and Dweezil needs to eat!). Both are human-grade probiotics.

Evidently there are different strains of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium and some set up robust colonies that sustain themselves whereas other strains aren't as robust and die off faster than they can reproduce, so the colony will die off if you don't constantly add more. These are cheaper per pill and of course the pharmaceutical companies want you as a customer for life, not for a week or 10 days. Both have similar numbers of bacteria per pill/tablet, but the strains (sub species level, not indicated on the labels) are different.

That's interesting, I didn't know there were probiotics specifically for dogs. I always I give Madeleine the ones made for humans. It also never occurred to me that Italy was making probiotics. If you travel a lot you might be able to collect hundreds of strains. Just when I thought there wasn't another single thing I want to buy ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
If you eat sugar and other SAD crap, you feed the bad bacteria which overtakes the good bacteria. In this case the colonizing dose wouldn't work if you're constantly killing off the good bacteria, like most people on the SADiet. So this is why most North American pills, yogurt etc. use the cheaper dose strains instead of the robust colonizers. Also, most EU countries have public health systems, so they promote short-term remedies.

I rarely eat real sugar anymore but I wonder if they feed on erythritol or xylitol.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 23:10

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Maybe SIBO? I'm doing research at the moment as to why fibre and resistant starch give be severe explosive diarrhoea and that's what I'm thinking. I also get burping too. Not sure how to treat it though.

I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-14, 16:42

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 260/240/200 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

Is it ok to be on probiotics all the time?
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-14, 19:04
Experimenter

BF:

I think so, CArol.