Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 06:33

Plan: protein power
Stats: 135/186/175 Male 6.2
BF:
Progress:
Default organic or GMOs?

what the different if i take organic supplment or supplement that signed as GMO on the box?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 07:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

GMO means that it contains products from Genetically Modified Crops and many people feel that those are unsafe.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 09:24

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

All organic foods are GMO free, as GMO foods aren't classified as organic (yet - Monsanto is trying to weasel that into the FDA).

All GMO free foods are not organic.

Over 65 countries have banned GMO foods because of strong evidence that they are extremely unhealthy and may cause a variety of lethal diseases over time.

I avoid them. Why?
  • If I don't eat GMO foods and it turns out that the fears were unfounded, I've lost noghing.
  • If I do eat GMO foods and turns out they do cause cancer or something else fatal, and I get that condition, it might be irreversable
  • I don't want Monsanto and Dow to have a cartel on our food

Here in the USA Monsanto and Dow have paid mega-millions of dollars to keep those 3 little letters out of the ingredients list.

If you mix a tangerine with a pomelo, you don't still call it a tangerine, instead it gets a new name, tangelo. So if you mix corn with both an insecticide gene and an anti-herbicide gene why is it still called corn and not a new name? Because the corporate food lobby and the FDA are partners in crime.

Plus
  1. Round-up ready crops have caused the weeds to evovle to be Round-up resistant. The call them super-weeds which means that up to 10 times as much round up is sprayed on the crops. Some of that is not going to get washed off and if it posons the weeds, it's surely going to poison other living things and one of them might be me
  2. Dow has now had the FDA approve agent-orange resistant crops. I knew a guy who died from agent-orange induced cancer. His painful wasting away while the medical profession was unable to stop it was not anything I want to do.
So unless either organic or certified GMO free I avoid them as much as I can. And that means the big four: Corn, Soy, Canola and Cottonseed. Plus their by-products (like Dextrose made from corn). I don't eat sugar but if I did, I wouldn't eat beet sugar for the same reason. I also avoid yellow squash and zucchini for the same reason.

I also avoid dairy unless the cows are rBGH free. European and Canadian cheeses are safe, as it's banned there. I have in writing that Wal-Mart and Pubix brand milk products are rGBH free but no guarantee on the cheese.

Again, I err on the side of caution. If I ate all these things and ended up with cancer in a few years, I'd lie in the hospital and wonder if I did that to myself.

Every time a state has tried to enact a law that requires the labeling of those three little letters (GMO), Monsanto, Dow and their partners in crime have spent millions of dollars scaring the voters into barely voting it down. The propaganda is that it will triple the cost of everybody's food and the food companies will have to spend billions of dollars adding those 3 little letters to the package.

Well, you will still be able to buy GMO foods, as giving us a choice will not ban them, so it won't increase the cost of your foods, and it doesn't seem to cost billions of dollars to add those letters as food companies are always changing their packaging. They don't seem to mind "New And Improved" and that's a lot more than 3 letters.

Now Monsanto is bribing our representatives to pass a federal law prohibiting individual US states from passing a labeling law. They figure it would be harder to get the entire USA to pass a labeling law than individual states.

Isn't capitalism about freedom of choice?

Yes, but corporationalism is not, and we no longer have a democracy, but an oligarchy run by the international bankers and a dozen or so huge multi-national corporations.

My advice, is to boycott GMO foods. Start with the Big 4 and then google the rest. If the consumers demand those six little letters (Non-GMO) as a condition of buying their goods, the companies will respond. Sure it's the opposite of what should happen, but it will work if enough people do it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 08:36

Plan: protein power
Stats: 135/186/175 Male 6.2
BF:
Progress:

WOW
thank you for clear that up
personally im thinking to put some more notice about what im eating what exactly is there in my shopping bag
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 13:50

BF:

It would be sad to be in a hospital bed with the doc telling you to get your affairs in order and suspect you put yourself there by ignoring the warnings about unhealthy food.

Of course you can't take those warnings to an extreme either, or else you would eat just about nothing.

But when over 65 countries ban something, it's probably a good idea to avoid it.

Good food may cost a little more, but I'm worth it. I'd rather have healthy food inside me than a new pair of gym shoes or a gold chain around my neck or a million other things that won't extend my healthy life span.

But that's me and my personal priorities.

I recently read that:
  1. The insecticide gene spliced into corn causes the insect's intestines to perforate (I don't eat corn or anything made from corn unless certified non-GMO)
  2. The same gene is passed on to you through the corn fed beef (I eat only grass fed organic beef - I eat a slightly smaller portion to balance the slightly extra cost)
  3. The flora in your intestine that help you digest the food internalize that gene and continue to make insecticide in your gut
  4. Since that gene was spliced into corn, the cases of leaky gut syndrome have syrocketed
That's not proof, but it's enough for me to avoid it. Especially since there are other alternatives.

I read the labels -- all the ingredients. And if there is an ingredient that I don't know, I'll look it up. If it's made from a GMO crop, I won't buy that product again.

I'm in my late 60s, I'm on no prescription drugs, and all my blood work is in the normal zone. It's obviously working for me.

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 19:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 176/125/125 Female 5'3.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Excellent posts, Bob. Thank you. I couldn't have said it better. I have been dealing with what I now know is leaky gut for about 20 years. For the last 10 years, I mostly avoided GMO products. However, about two months ago I decided that I was going to go all the way with organic foods, 100% grass-fed beef, pastured chicken and good pork. It costs more so I eat a little bit less. It has been an interesting ride. I discovered that it can be rather difficult to find grass-fed beef that isn't grain-finished. I've started making beef bone broth, and it took me 2 weeks to find some somewhat local 100% grass fed beef bones. It never occurred to me that it would be so hard to find! I thought Whole Foods would have it until the head butcher told me that NONE of their beef is 100% grass fed. It's all grain-finished and the grains probably contain GMO's. I've started trying to source more because I took the last 10 lbs of beef bones the farmer had and another 10 lbs of organic pork neck bones, but having to drink the broth every day (which is definitely helping my gut) means I go through a lot of broth.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 07:39

BF:

Fortunately my local "Health Food Store" can get 100% organic, grass fed beef, although they don't have it every week. When they do I buy more than I need and freeze it.

And for now, as long as you are getting 100% organic beef, even if it is corn fed the corn will be non-GMO and organic (that is until Monsanto and Dow BRIBE "our" representatives to consider a Genetically Modified Organism an organic product).

But test after test shows that 100% grass fed beef is much better for humans. It has a better Omega 3 to Omega 6 fat ratio, has Conjugated Linoleic Acid in it which helps us lose weight, and many other health benefits for us that the feed lot destroys in the steer.

I know a lot of people who won't put good food in their bodies because they say they can't afford it. Meanwhile they have a Cable TV subscription of up to $300/month, frequent new bling, gas guzzling vehicle, air conditioners set so cold you can hang meat in their houses, and so on.

I guess it's human nature, instant gratification trumps long term benefits.

And unfortunately we no longer have a democratic republic, instead we have an oligarchy made up of International Bankers and Multi-National Corporations. The FDA says insecticide in your food is safe, because it helps Monsanto's profits. The FDA now says Agent Orange on your food is safe, because it helps Dow's profits. And our press has become nothing more than a corporate propaganda outlet.

Surveys show that close to 90% of the population would like to see those 3 little letters (GMO) on genetically modified foods. But whenever it comes to a vote, corporate media blasts out lies and uses false fears to get people to vote "no".

The lies are very thin. After all, adding three letters to the ingredients list is not going to double the price of everybody's food and put small grocers out of business. The entire Nutrition Facts panel gets changed from time to time and it hasn't done anything like that. And how many other package changes have you noticed through the years? Does that blazing 4 color burst with "New And Improved" on it double the price of the food? Then why would one color GMO in front of the word Corn in the ingredients do that? The answer is, "It won't" but the viewers of corporate propaganda media get the lie repeated and repeated so much that they believe it.

You can google and find a lot to help you avoid GMO foods. A couple of hits right at the top are:
http://www.nongmoproject.org/

http://www.truefood.org.au/

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/

and hundreds more.

I got into Low Carb in 2000 for health reasons, but my parents died too soon due to obesity related diseases and I saw that as a possible future. And the more I research, the more I find that low carb seems to be a formula for a longer, healthier life span.

I also found a lot of other things affect your health, and along with a lot of good practices (like a ketogenic diet) there are a lot of potentially dangerous foods out there. Oh. they won't get you sick in a hurry, but long term effects can be devastating, and possibly not only deadly, but torturous on the way. Now that scares me a lot more than paying a bit more for food.

We all have our priorities. At this point in my life, my main priority is health, and I'm in excellent health. Without health, you have nothing. You could be the richest person in the world, but if you get agent-orange induced cancer, you will die with a long torturous period of pain, morphine, and decline before you go. And DOW and the FDA have approved agent-orange resistant GMO crops. That means that the plant will absorb the Agent Orange, and when you eat it, you will absorb the Agent Orange.

I know a guy who died from A-O cancer. If I was forced to choose between that and being crucified, I'd take the crucifixion.

To lighten the subject up a little:

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ----- and not screaming like the passengers in his car

Eat healthy and be healthy.

Bob