Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 12:39

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default unstable weight this week

Wonder why, when getting on the scale since last week, it goes 2 pounds down, 1.5 up, 1 pound down, back up. Haven't done anything different at all except add the fruit, every other day as suggested. Not liking this. Today, I am a full TWO pounds up from my lowest weight last week - from 144 to 146. I know it's hard to get a straight trendline down, but it really is frustrating. Should I go back to phase one??? I do exercise a lot and have added some extra strength training. My husband said last night my "little muscles are popping out all over the place." I was like, "Huh? Where?" so he pointed out all the places that had changed. Maybe I could be gaining muscle this quickly. I'd like to think that is what is is, but I still must lose 14 pounds. May go over to the gym for a caliper test. I do look leaner in the mirror, but I still don't like the scale right now. Oh well. I'll quit whining. Judy told me it was going to be slow! ARGGGGhhhh!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 13:26
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

As you've also added strength training to your list of stuff you do ...it is a source of water retention...you need to learn how to live with daily weight fluctuations or don't weigh daily.

I had to learn to see the scale as a tool.....not react to daily ups....

But, in the same token, take your measurements to see changes.

Also, how much alcohol did you drink over the last weekend?

ps- start a journal and log your food daily so that I can help you see where you are having any issues, if at all.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 13:53

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I won't be much help, because these questions always mystify me. My weight is always like that. I had no idea anybody's weight was so consistent that 1-2 pounds would be strange.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 15:08

BF:

Judy....a record low for me.....two glasses of white wine! I just read this over on Lisa's Leptin Resistance experiment (her experience!)
-------------------------------------------------------
"Even more interesting this week was to observe what the body does when there is rapid fat loss -- it doesn't like it much. As you know, when a lot of stored body fat (as opposed to water) is burned quickly, the body fears starvation and fills the emptied adipose cells with water. Sometimes by weight, sometimes by volume. It's leaving 'space' for new fat to come in after the 'lean times' are over. Eventually, when the fat isn't replaced but sufficient nutrition/energy comes in to relieve fears of starvation, the water is released. That can take weeks or even months. When it happens, a new 'set point' of weight and fat storage is achieved.

That happened to me this week -- on speed. Every other day or so I would get extremely bloated. Then out it would go the next day, only to return the day after that. I did get on the scale from time to time this week to record the phenomena -- at times I gained five pounds overnight. Then the next day it would be gone, plus a bit more. Absolutely weird to see on the scale, but weirder to live through. Clothes fit, were tight, were loose and all over again."

Yep....I believe this!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 18:30

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Don't know if you are aware or not but your body can fluctualte 1-2 lbs per day or even by the hour depending on lots of things like exercise, salt, water retention etc. If you must weigh every day you might want to be sure that you weigh first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and with no clothes on. Try to do it at the same time every day and remember that your monthly cycle will also affect you weight. For me, I find that it is best not to weigh every day. I weigh once a week at the most otherwise I drive myself crazy with that scale.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 21:17

BF:

Hey Joesfolks! Yes, I do know this about the scale, and weighing only in the morning empty. It just so happened that I weighed 144 and then it went back up two days later to 147. I was very shocked. Now, it is 146 in the a.m. so I am guessing that it has to do with what I quoted above, that the body doesn't like to give up fat and replaces it with water. Or, it could have to do with the increased strength training. I probably build a little quicker than some because of "muscle memory" as I am a retired athlete plus I am a mesomorph anyway (kinda heavy at the moment, but hoping I can resolve this.) Also, I am not going to be as patient because I have a thyroid issue that I know isn't fully resolved with my current medications. The weight is something I watch meticulously so when I go back to my endocrinologist, I will have the documented proof to show her. It's so hard to get them to prescribe the right meds or dosages as they don't always believe you when you say "I am doing this, this, and this." I post so I will have a record of dates and I can also see if a plan is working well for me or not. Your plan of choice has worked great for you though! Congratulations!!!