Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 05:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/138/120
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Not worse ... but not better

Yesterday I tried to make changes ...

Added 3 more glasses of water from my 4, and still had 2 diet pops (sodium and caffeine free).

For dinner ...

4 ozs of well marbelized steak
2 leaves of lettuce .... 1 carb
1/2 an avocado ... 10 carbs
4 pieces of bacon
blue cheese dressing (.5 carbs in 2 tbsp)
1 cup of beans with broccoli ... 7 carbs

before bed
light jello and nutriwhip ... 2 carbs

TOTAL carbs for yesterday ... almost 20 which is up from the 3-4 I was having before.

I plan to have the same salad at lunch.

At least I didn't gain.

BTW ... blue cheese dressing, avocado, bacon and lettuce is AMAZING ... throw in a couple of chunks of real blue cheese if you have. My kids were begging me to feed it to them ... I wouldn't tell them what was in it, and they just loved it ... that's almost worth gaining weight for ... maybe McDonald's is on its way out of my life forever!!!!

Thanks for all the support yesterday.

Critiques of my dinner most gratefully accepted.

Cheers,
TG
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 07:14

Plan: CALP
Stats: 286.65/254.3/165
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default BTW-yum

Thanks for the BTW recipe- sounds yummy.
It's great to find new ideas especially ones kids love.
kezza
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 08:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%

Your recipie does sound great! I think your menu sounds much more reasonable with the addition of some vegetables. Good for you increasing your water too. I would make it a short term goal of yours to work toward increasing the amount of water that you drink. I really think it will help a lot. Also, do a search on this website for Artificial Sweeteners or Aspartame. You will see that there are quite a few people who find that they can really be the root of many stalls. It doen't happen to everyone, but you never know unless you perform a controlled elimination from your diet to test the results. Try upping your water and carbs for now, if it isn't working after a week or so, you might want to start working on aspartame or AS'd products like diet pop or jello.

I just read this statement on the importance of water on someone's website yesterday. It made a lot of sense to me, I will include it here in ca se it adds to your H2O guzzling inspiration.

Benefits of Water

WATER: How 8 glasses a day keep Fat Away

Taken from the "Snowbird Diet" by Donald S. Robertson, M.D., M.Sc.

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits.

Here's why: The kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When they don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver.One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But, if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it can't operate at full throttle. As a result, it metabolizes less fat, more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops.

Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water it perceives this as a threat to survival,and begins to hold onto every drop.

Water is stored in the extracellular spaces (outside the cell walls) This shows up as swollen feet, legs, and hands.Diuretics offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus the condition quickly returns.

The best way to overcome the problem of water retention , is to give your body what it needs ? plenty of water. Only then will stored water be released. The overweight person needs more water than the thin one. Larger people have larger metabolic loads.

Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism, it follows that the overweight person needs more water. Water helps maintain proper muscle tone. It does this by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration. It also helps prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss? shrinking cells are buoyed by water, which plumps the skin and leaves it clear, healthy and resilient.Water helps rid the body of wastes.

During weight loss, the body has a lot more waste to get rid of, all that metabolized fat must be shed. Again, adequate water helps flush out waste. Water can help relieve constipation.

When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. The colon is one primary source. Result? Constipation, but when a person drinks enough water, normal bowel function usually returns.

So, how much water is enough?

On the average, a person should drink eight 8-oz glasses every day. That's about two quarts. However, the overweight person needs one additional glass for every 25 pounds overweight. The amount you drink should also be increased if you exercise briskly, or if the weather is hot and dry.

Water should preferably be cold. It's absorbed into the system more quickly than warm water, and some evidence suggests that drinking cold water can actually help you burn calories.

To utilize water most efficiently during weight loss, follow this schedule:

Morning: 1 quart consumed over a 30 minute period.

Noon: 1 quart consumed over a 30 minute period.

Evening: 1 quart consumed between 5-6:00 p.m.

When the body gets the water it needs to function optimally, its fluids are perfectly balanced. When this happens you have reached the "breakthrough point"

What does this mean?

Endocrine-gland function improves Fluid retention is alleviated as stored water is lost. More fat is used as fuel, because the liver is free to metabolize stored fat. Natural thirst returns. There is a loss of hunger, almost overnight.

If you stop drinking enough water, your body fluids will be thrown out off balance again, and you may experience unexplained weight gain, and loss of thirst.

To remedy this situation, you'll have to go back and force another breakthrough.

Good luck!

Mari
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 08:12
Registered Member

Stats: 140/138/120
BF:
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up H2O

I bought two 32oz refillable water bottles. Filled them up with water and added a teaspoon of real lemon juice. Shook them and then froze them.

I hope that I'll be able to drink the 64oz of cold water throughout the day.

The thought of drinking a quart within 30 minutes is enough to make me gag. I have a hard time drinking water to being with.

Thanks for the article.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 08:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Water

Mari...

Great info on water!!!!

I got really sick last year... immune system went haywire.

I read about water and one of the first things I did was start drinking a BIG 32oz glass of water every morning as part of my early rising quiet time... mainly for the flushing effect to get toxins out of my system. Then I drank water throughout the day and another at bed time. Huge difference!!!!

Thanks for the info....

Ramona
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 09:55

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Thanks for the info Mari!!! And glad to hear U are feeling better Gal.