Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-21, 11:51

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 246/237.6/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Not new, but back more determined than ever

My name is Stephie and I have been a member here for a long time. I have been gone for quite a few years however. I need to lose well over 100 pounds. My goal is to lose right around 115 pounds. I fell off my low carb diet about six years ago and have struggled to find a way to eat that helps me to lose weight and obviously nothing worked and I am back here .I am grateful I never went back up to my highest weight . I am 60 years old, will be 61 in June. I have been very obese since my early thirties. I was diagnosed by an endocrinologist ten years ago with metabolic syndrome. He actually told me to do Atkins. I never really stuck to it, and I believe it was because I did the whole net carb thing, low carb ice cream and treats, baked low carb and tried to live a normal life making low carb versions of my favorite foods.
Now I am back, tired of being tired. Tired of hurting from the grains that I do not do well on. I want to end this cycle of craziness and just be healthy.
This time around I am eating only pure food. Eggs, bacon, pork chops, ground beef, chicken thighs with the skins, minimal veggies and salad is basically wraps on our burgers, not even mayo on them, Meat, one slice of cheese and lettuce .We usually have two of them for a meal.
I am going through the worst keto flu I have ever been through. Could be I am older, could be since we tried plant based the last few years my carb intake was so high, my body is having a harder time transitioning, but whatever the reason, I am hurting like I have a really bad flu and it is day 8 for me today. I started on March 4. My keto flu started about day three , and has not eased up much. In fact it seemed a tiny bit better the last couple of days and today seems to have amped back up again.
I will stick to it and I know in time this will pass, but it makes it hard to do anything right now. The fatigue is pretty bad as well. No weight loss at all, not even water weight yet. Not a single ounce off. My husband lost around five or six pounds in the same time, he has had NO keto flu except a bit of fatique the first few days. Having metabolic syndrome I am not surprised and know it might take my body longer to start losing.
So, that is where I am at. I am doing this with my husband who has had two spinal surgeries the past two years. His doctor told him, either lose the weight or I will be doing another surgery in about three years .His GP recommended low carb. We are approaching this as a lifestyle change, not a diet, we know grains bother both of us, so it is something we really want to do to be healthy. Good to be back here and looking forward to getting past this rough stage in my journey .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-21, 00:51

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%

Welcome back! Im back here after being gone for a while too. Hope things are going better for you now. Sometimes it takes a little while to see the scale move. I've also been very fatigued but being consistent with electrolytes has helped me. So make sure you are getting adequate amounts of sodium, potassium and magnesium. Best of luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-21, 17:40

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Welcome back! It sounds like you have a good attitude and are determined! When weight loss is slow (or not happening at all) try to remember that you are eating more healthfully. It is hard at first, but stick with it and you will see results. There's a lot of great advice to be found on these forums. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-21, 18:25

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

We now know that a lot of the keto flu is caused by loss of electrolytes during the first stages of transitioning to ketone-based metabolism. You tend to purge quite a bit of water in the first days and couple of weeks that it takes a lot of sodium, potassium, and magnesium (plus some others) with it. So a lot of people find that significantly upping the salt intake (unless you have specific conditions that argue against doing that) really helps alleviate those problems.

Good luck this time around. If you look at the boards you will see that you are the rule, not the exception. Many of us here have been up and down and are struggling to get it right (i.e., make it last).

I started here more than nineteen years ago and I restarted, yet again, on New Year's Day. So clearly I haven't figured it out. But I think I'm getting closer.

It requires a fundamental attitude shift at a deep, emotional level. While knowing things intellectually is critical, it is merely the necessary precursor to changing your attitude. I don't think anyone has figured out a magic bullet for accomplishing that -- but it can happen.

Part of that is recognizing, again, at a deep emotional level, not just in your head, that this is a long process and losing the weight is just a very small part of it. This is for the rest of your life, so you need to stop focusing on how fast the weight is coming off (I know -- not easy at all, and I am NOT there yet, either, just inching towards it).

I think back to nineteen years ago when I started. I needed to loose 200 lb. If I had lost just one pound a month, but stuck with it, I would have been at goal three years ago!

I still want to see ten or fifteen pounds a month go away. I still get frustrated when I don't see any forward progress after one or even two weeks (or more!). But I am getting a bit better at convincing myself that, when all is said and done, it doesn't matter. If I stick to it, then ten years from now I am not going to still be hung up on the fact that it took three years instead of one; that will all be forgotten and I'm going to just be ecstatic that I stuck with it and am still at my goal weight and enjoying the health benefits of being slim and eating LC.

As long as I make at least one pound a month, that is demonstrable forward progress -- and not every month is going to be just one pound.

I'm also working real hard to find ways to make it sustainable -- not necessarily right this moment, but to have a path from where I am now to where I believe a sustainable road lies.