Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up thank you NancyLC! Lemon Butter "Bowl-Muffin" Cake

I have been truly inspired by this whole Bowl-Muffin thing, it's TOO much fun and also nicely quick and easy (I'm back in school fulltime and classes START at 7:30 a.m., yuck!).

So I've read every single post and experiment, and I've been playing with this, trying out different stuff inspired by you all, and especially YOU, NancyLC

The Chicken & Sage was kinda cool, I liked the whole Bacon Egg McBowlMuffin thing, too. One thing I HAVE learned is that most of these (if without egg especially, they get a little dry) taste best while still warm. Preferably BUTTERED.

I haven't tried the Chocolate, that's next, but I did kind of fancy something with tang and zip today and was awfully hungry after classes, so instead of diving into the fridge, I decided to do the Lemon Thing I've been thinking about.

Here's the results, and let me tell you, it's YUMMY! This would make a pretty fine base for some whipping cream and raspberries or blueberries (some kind of affinity for lemon?)...

Code:
* Exported from MasterCook * CQ Bowl Muffin - Lemon Butter Recipe By : Judi IslandGirl, 'Carbers' Kitchen Counter™ Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:10 Categories : 00-05G, DaVinci Gourmet SF Syrup, Muffins Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice -- 1 small lemon 1 tablespoon lemon zest -- same lemon 2 tablespoons syrup, sf DaVinci Lemon 1 whole large egg, veggie-fed free-range 75 grams CarbQuick Bake Mix -- 3/4 Cup 1/4 teaspoon baking powder 15 grams butter -- 1 Tbsp 1 tablespoon syrup, sf DaVinci Lemon Using a small to medium size microwave proof bowl ('tupperware' style works well and is very "nonstick", just pops out when warm), beat together the lemon, syrup and egg til well-blended. Spoon in the CQ and the baking powder, then stir together til smooth and evenly blended. Microwave for 2 minutes (1000 watts, turntable) or til firm to the touch on top. Poke or score the top (still in the bowl and still warm) and lightly spread the butter so it melts in; tip out onto a small plate and then score the 'new' top into quarters or eighths (finger food size) and drizzle the final tablespoon of DaVinci Lemon flavour syrup. Scarf while still warm! Serving Ideas : breakfast, snack, dessert....would be great with BERRIES on top! Source: "INSPIRED absolutely INSPIRED by NancyLC at lowcarb.ca Forums" Copyright: "© LowCarb FoodExperts Canada ®" Start to Finish Time: "0:15" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 103 Calories; 8g Fat (53.5% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 50mg Cholesterol; 78mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. NOTES : 2005-07-06 Whole Recipe (net 13g carb): 413 Calories; 33g Fat (53.5% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 32g Dietary Fiber; 199mg Cholesterol; 311mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 5 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Wed, Jul-06-05 at 19:18.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 08:57

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 144/137/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
Just made one of those "breakfast bowl omelets"!

1/3 cup almond meal
1 egg
a little over 1/8 tsp. baking powder
a little bit of shredded cheese
a small handful of cooked bacon pieces

Put a little bit of butter on top after it was done. That really hit the spot!

Could I add flaxmeal to this and also make it with no bacon?

Kelly
  #138   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 09:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by superaunt
OMG. I tried a pancake version this morning and I swear it is THE BEST thing I've had in a long, long time!

1/4 cup atkin bake mix
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup mixture of sf vanilla syrup, heavy cream, water, sf maple syrup

Nuked for 2 minutes and as promised by Nancy, I had one happy tummy!!!

Heavenly!

Okay, I used

1/4 cup CarbQuik
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup mixture of sf vanilla syrup, heavy cream and water
Nuked for 2 minutes and I will eat this every day!

I was trying to find a way to use flax everyday and this is good. thanks for telling me about this site. (a friendly poster from another LC board helped me find this board)

Kelly
  #139   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 11:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Aw shucks, IslandGirl! I am so glad you're having fun with them! I wish I was. My new diet doesn't allow such luxuries. However, I'll probabyl take a maintenance break for a couple of weeks at the end of the month and then... I'm going to enjoy Bowl Muffins again.

I see you're a fanatic for lemon like I am!

Quote:
So sad. They won't make the tabletop liquid sweetener in North America themselves, but they won't let anyone else make it either... piggees.

Clearly they need a little competition in the marketplace to loosen their grip!
Maybe I should order more Sweetzfree before Splenda leans on them. Although, I must say it is a little too concentrated for my preferences.
  #140   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 15:50
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 207/192/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 26%

NancyLC, what a terrific concept you've come up with! I was so sceptical, but printed out your ideas and then went in the kitchen to try it out. I was sooooo impressed- whodathunk? Since then, I have mentioned it a few times on another thread and somehow ended up getting posted twice - but I thank you for a terrific idea I don't use the Carbquik, but tried it with my protein powder, baking powder and a variety of s.f. syrups - tried the omelet one and made one for hubby's breakfast one a.m. hmmm, he didn't rave, but then he isn't given to raving anyway Thank you again - really happy about this new idea - and it seems to have no limits-except in our imagination!
  #141   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/145/114 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 56%

W-O-w...Thank you Nancy, for a great recipe idea! I tried a pumpkin version of this muffin, toasted, buttered... it was so delicious that if I hadn't made it myself, I wouldn't have believed it was microwave food... Loved it.
  #142   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 08:54
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%
Talking Oh YUM!

Hey, Nancy -

Okay, I keep seeing folks bump this recipe, and of course, the link is part of your signature.

So, yesterday, I thought, 'what the heck - let's print it and try it.'

OHMIGAWD...it's so good (not that I'm telling you anything you DON'T know. I made mine with flaxmeal and vanilla whey powder for flourish thingies. First batch was with vanilla syrup and Hood milk and a dash of cinnamon, lightly dotted with butter once cooked. Second batch was flax/whey combo mixed with carmel and chocolate syrup. BOTH WERE FABULOUS!!!!

Thanks for the recipe - I just wish I hadn't waited so long to try it!
  #143   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 12:07

Stats: 169/142/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:37%/24%/22%
Progress: 69%

Same here
I found a pancake mix version from CarbSmart and decided to use that. I bought their regular mix too.

I made a bowl pancake !

2 tablespoons pancake mix (1 net gram)
2 tablespoons cream cheese
cinnamon
1 packet Splenda
2 eggs

It made one nicely sized pancake and was extremely fluffy !
I just topped it with some sugar free syrup and let it soak in before I ate it. I now eat one just about everyday right before I swim.
Thanks for the recipe ideas .. it literally has given me back hope that I will stay with this way of eating.
  #144   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 15:37
Experimenter

BF:

LOL! I'm glad folks are enjoying them. I'm a little jealous because my very strict diet I'm on now, I can't eat them. Have one for me, ok?
  #145   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 15:01

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

omg.. thanks so much for coming up with an idea so that I dont have to throw that $15 can of Atkins vanilla bake mix out ! lmao... my frugal soul was about to have a fit over that, but couldnt find any other earthly use for it ... well.. maybe chunk it in with the mortar that the bricklayer was using on the house ???

Added a tsp of cocoa, an egg, cream and lil bit of vanilla... made a passing fair brownie Ima tell you !

Thanks again, cleverness and inventiveness like yours sure do make this lc world a lot easier to tolerate.

Be well all .
  #146   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 15:09
Registered Member

Stats: 154.5/145/130 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Has anybody seen this site with no carb sauces, etc?
http://www.waldenfarms.com/
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 00:59

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Ok so I wanted to try this, but I couldnt find atkins bake mix or carbquick anywhere...

Instead, I went to my local health food store (since I was out of flax anyway) and found Bob's Red Mill low carb bake mix.

Finally got around to trying it this morning using 1/4c bake mix, 1 tblsp flax meal (also Bob's Red Mill), a little over 1/4c raspberry syrup and an egg. Holy cow! It tasted like pancakes with strawberry syrup (odd since I used raspberry, I know... but hey...) Man the one thing I missed was going to Ihop for pancakes drown in strawberry syrup... this was the best substitute ever!

Made myself a second one after I came back from the gym
  #148   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 09:52
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Ok so I wanted to try this, but I couldnt find atkins bake mix or carbquick anywhere...

www.netrition.com

It isn't stocked in many stores.
  #149   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 13:39
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

The Bob's Red Mill Bake Mix, I've found, gives one a 'firmer' product than, for example, the flax and vanilla whey protein powder combination I was using...BUT...the carb count is several points higher. Yummy no matter which way I make it.

Nancy, I'm currently doing an M&E fast (too many bowl muffins?? heehee), so I'll have one for you next week when I'm done!
  #150   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 06:37

BF:

and found Bob's Red Mill low carb bake mix.>>

I had never heard of this and they have it at netrition. I'll have to try it after I go through my atkins bake mixes and carbquik. lol

Kelly