Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 14:04

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 286/218/200 Male 74"
BF:
Progress:
Default Want to feed my dog low carb

I've been lowcarbing since 2009. I wouldn't ever go back. I have gotten so many benefits from this way of eating.

My whole family has joined me on this low carb journey but the other day I realized I still feed our dog regular dog food.

I've searched for a ketogenic or low carb dog food. and several companies claim to offer them but then I read the ingredients and see they still have carbs in them.

Visionary dog food is the only brand I've seen that truly looks to be low carb. They claim only 1 gram of net carb and low carb seems to be the whole idea behind the company.

I see they are also for sale on Amazon.

Does anyone use their product? I would like to do for my dog what I've been able to do for the rest of my family.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 14:27

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I feed my dog Better in the Raw, a premix, mixed with grass fed pet burger from US Wellness Meats. My dog is only 10 pounds so it doesn't break the bank.

https://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/p...er-raw-dog-food

https://grasslandbeef.com/pet-burger

I made the decision before I got my dog that he deserved to be fed quality food. If it's important for my health to eat quality food I figure it's important for his health too. He is 11.5 years old and doing well.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 22:55

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I just buy beef fat and combine it with real fruit and veggies and meat. And fast one day a week.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 05:47

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

My recipe for dog food:
Gr. Beef (90/10) and liver or Tyson Chicken Breast
Veggies (peas and carrots and one pkg mixed with squash, Cauliflower and broccoli)
Raw Oatmeal
Sardines in olive oil (2 cans)
Chopped Eggs (hard boiled)

All meat is cooked and cut into small pieces. One batch chicken and then the next one is beef and liver.

Chicken and Veggies are frozen pkgs.

Ingredients are chosen for fiber and nutrition. I also buy Probiotics for dogs from Amazon.

Their food is not cheap, takes 2 hours to make each week and takes up a lot of room in the freezer but they're worth it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 07:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ted Naiman recently recommended this (no financial interest, just what he feeds his pets) https://www.vitalessentialsraw.com/dog/food/
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 07:51

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I raised all my dogs on a BARF diet. I was fortunate to live in an area where another pure bred dog owner heard Dr Billinghurst's lecture, began making BARF for their own dogs and began selling to friends what they made for their dogs. They ended by opening a BARF dog food store. Mountain Dog Foods.

Some animal stores - Oleson's in Arizona - sells frozen raw dog and cat food. They do not offer green tripe which is a wonderful source - but there is a company in California (Green Tripe) that makes and sells it and will deliver via UPS - frozen. I always bought bulk.

My dogs and cats were far healthier on Barf - with NO dental issues.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-20, 15:46

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

PLEASE be careful with low carb foods for pets. Most are from small brands that don’t have money to adequately check for food safety issues.

On December 24th I began giving my best friend one blue buffalo treat per day (not a small brand, but it is a corn/soy/gluten free one).

On January 3rd he began vomiting and when my husband took him outside, his hind legs stopped working.
We rushed to emergency vet where he began hemorrhaging from tail end. There was so Much blood, it looked like the footage of Ebola victims.
He was diagnosed with hemorrhaging gastritis and the vet was unsure she could save him. She said she had heard of this with the brand of dog treat we had introduced (across brand’s products, not specific to this treat).

I googled brand and the first link was consumer affairs, which had dozens of similar cases but dated back over several years. I felt thAt was very strange but not conclusive. I decided to leave a review, never buy product Again, but it was over and we would never know for certain.

Over next few days my fb was inundated by friends letting me know a woman they know but I don’t, had same illness in her dog after consuming BB.
At that time I went back and looked at my consumer affairs review. In just 4 days there were ten new cases of this illness across dogs and cats, across different food and treats, but all BB. Several dogs died.

My guy is recovering well (thank god! Had we waited an hour/ not been home, he would have died). I now have learned of other lawsuits against this company involving a class action for lead several years ago, and other complaints.

The vet said the surge in boutique brands has caused tons of these cases to pop up, as there is no fda regulation preventing anyone from starting a pet food company, even from their own garage.
Mom and pops can’t afford testing like the big brands do, and so these things are happening much more frequently as consumers look for healthy pet foods, supporting small business, decreasing carbon foot print, etc....

I am beside myself for not googling the brand ahead of time.
I have filed complaint with fda, alerted my normal vet, the store I bought treats, and the pet smart I picked up Rx from (they carry this brand).

Please, please tell anyone who might be using their products, and share this anywhere you think people might see it.

My dog is everything to me. And we came so so close to losing a completely healthy 3 yr old pup.