Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 01:15

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Hey, Nordic and welcome. Many are following Atkins 72 on this forum, but they may refer to it as something else. I made a personal decision years ago that I would remain in induction permanently, as it helped quite a bit with improved health, lower weight, and more energy. "Why increase the carbs?" I reasoned. So, I've been maintaining as what I once referred to as a VLCHFKD (Very Low Carb, Higher Fat, Ketogenic Diet) state. I now refer to it as keto or VLC. I've increased my protein, tempered my fat consumption, and still maintain my health and weight using this approach.

So, when I say very low carb, I'm staying around or less than 20-25 carbs per day depending on the day. I think Atkins induction makes sense for those of us who have experienced carb addition in the past, yes, it's a real thing. I just made it my permanent WOE (way of eating). You'll find many on this forum who have a very similar WOE with interesting variations. We tend to find what works best, and it's an individual thing in many cases. Enjoy the group, as there is lots of good information shared here.
This is the kind of post that I can sink my teeth into. I do the same with some exceptions that crop up every week or two.

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 05:19

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzgirl
DANDR and discovered a lot of triggers, many of which were "safe" foods.

Hi what does DANDR stand for please?

I just watched a recent video by Dr. Westman and he said if you are experiencing weakness and tiredness that you need salt and to add 1-2 cups daily bullion again. When I did that I felt a lot better. I thought the bullion was only for the beginning of keto.. I guess not.

Also got totally off dairy again.. and I feel much better, more energy, no bloating.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 05:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Dr Eric Westman did his clinical research with the diet Dr Atkins used in his clinic...not what ended up in the books, even the ones Dr Atkins wrote. Still used at Dr Westman's clinic at Duke.

Dr. Westman is one of the few doctors that trained under Dr. Atkins. I really
like his way of following low carb and suggestions. I've considered going to see him at Duke in his clinic.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Mayflowers, DANDR stands for Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, published in 2002.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 09:49

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Eric Westman did his clinical research with the diet Dr Atkins used in his clinic...not what ended up in the books, even the ones Dr Atkins wrote. Still used at Dr Westman's clinic at Duke.
]

That's fascinating, Jey!
I wonder now, why the diet Atkins used in his clinic is not the same diet he recommends in his books. Did Dr Westman ever explain this to you? Did he share the differences and the rationale behind the diet in the books?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 10:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There is a difference between clients/readers. The people who choose to become patients at a clinic are usually morbidly obese, diabetic, have serious diseases. It is often their last resort, the diet Has to work and so is strict. A book that sells millions of copies should also appeal to the 30 yo mom who needs to lose 20 pounds postpartum, and it includes a range of carb levels starting after 2 weeks. Jackie Eberstein showed Dr Westman the strictest food list and rules for the obese patient, basically stay at induction level..no "climbing the ladder" or adding carbs as in the 1972 book. That became the diet handout for his first clinical trial.

As I was scrolling through Jo's quotes, with all the protein fat % arguments in the keto community...this one popped out.

Quote:
60:40 ratio of Protein to Fat pg 132 One of the big reasons this diet works so successfully is because you eat protein and fat. And you eat them in just about the sixty to forty proportions in which they usually occur together in nature; in a reasonably lean cut of beef for example.

Low-Fat Diet pg 132 Some people don’t actual like fat. They do better on a low-fat diet, but I don’t encourage a no-fat diet, ever.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-06-20 at 10:35.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 11:47

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Thanks for your prompt reply Janet. It makes sense. I appreciate your looking up the data.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 12:50

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Is the 60:40 ratio calories from protein/fat or weight of the protein/fat?
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 13:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That's calories. Quote is from the first page of the chapter "Steak and Salad" diet. A 4oz. beef ribeye when you do not eat visible fat is 60:40, about 140 cal from protein, 90 cal from fat, 0 carb. The new keto trend of pounding the fattest cuts of meat, adding more butter, was/is not the way Dr Atkins/Westman designed the diet. Only 230 cal, plus a "biologically zero" carb salad, makes a filling dinner

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-06-20 at 15:26.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-20, 05:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
Mayflowers, DANDR stands for Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, published in 2002.

Oh! ok thanks!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-20, 06:40

Plan: Low Carb + JUDD
Stats: 205/204/150 Female 5 foot 7
BF:
Progress:

Just a quick note from me again - I do best when I stay at '72 induction levels. For me, it's the nuts & berries that stop weight loss. Seems so reasonable to be able to have a handful of nuts or a few berries, but - nope. LOL! As soon as I start adding in anything other than meat and eggs, I start getting hungry & I stop losing weight. I'm hoping to be able to keep the cream in there, and have lost 2 lbs this week already. Historically, I've lost 1.5 lbs per week on meat/eggs, with a greater loss in the beginning, so hopefully this will continue. If it does, I could be back to normal by Christmas, hurrah!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-20, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bigtxgal
JFor me, it's the nuts & berries that stop weight loss. Seems so reasonable to be able to have a handful of nuts or a few berries, but - nope. LOL! As soon as I start adding in anything other than meat and eggs, I start getting hungry & I stop losing weight. I'm hoping to be able to keep the cream in there, a!

I agree. I can't lose eating nuts and berries either. Also, I cannot tolerate dairy anymore.. as much as I love cheese, I cannot lose weight eating it and I don't feel well. Very tired and bloated all the time. depressed. I went off dairy again and I feel alot better...though I miss my cheese omelets..

I will stay off fruit as much as possible and nuts until maintenance.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-20, 05:03

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
I agree. I can't lose eating nuts and berries either. Also, I cannot tolerate dairy anymore.. as much as I love cheese, I cannot lose weight eating it and I don't feel well. Very tired and bloated all the time. depressed. I went off dairy again and I feel alot better...though I miss my cheese omelets..

I will stay off fruit as much as possible and nuts until maintenance.

Doesn't it seem like a shame that as time goes on, there are more and more things you just 'can't eat' - I remember being 20 and eating anything/everything and never feeling sick or bloated or tired. Now - I eat a cheeseburger with a bun and OMG I feel I was hit by a truck for days.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-20, 07:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bigtxgal
Doesn't it seem like a shame that as time goes on, there are more and more things you just 'can't eat' - I remember being 20 and eating anything/everything and never feeling sick or bloated or tired. Now - I eat a cheeseburger with a bun and OMG I feel I was hit by a truck for days.

I was just thinking that too, when I see tv shows and they're eating muffins and cookies.. I used to eat like that and was 140 lbs at 5'7. Now forget it. I can't tolerate any of that anymore. sucks.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-20, 06:14

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
I was just thinking that too, when I see tv shows and they're eating muffins and cookies.. I used to eat like that and was 140 lbs at 5'7. Now forget it. I can't tolerate any of that anymore. sucks.

I know!! Exactly!!!! (literally, exactly, I'm also 5'7) I was 130-140 for my whole adult life until all of a sudden I wasn't in my late 30s!! Now in my late 40s andso frustrated. I feel like the # of foods I can eat while losing weight is dwindling. 1st week I lost 2lbs w/ cream in my coffee, 2nd week, I gained it back. I'm afraid I'll have to give it up, and it's so frustrating, bc it takes SO much effort to lose the weight, and there's no end in sight. *crying emoji* (There's no crying emoji available so I pretended there was one, haha)