Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 17:21
Organic Lifestyle

Plan: SBP (Organic & Balanced)
Stats: 165/135/130 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 86%

Krst,
I think you are going great. I went back and read your previous message and realized that with the amounts you are eating around 36 grams of carbs and that's perfect. You are just a lot better of getting variety in each meal than me. I tend to get all my carbs from one source at each meal, but you follow something I did a while back with getting grains and fruits. Nice job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksrt
Hi,

I know it sounds like a lot of food but i measure it in fitday and it is around 1800 calories. My carbs are about 36 grams per meal. She did start me out on a lot of carbs because my adrenals were burned out and you need to keep your insulin higher to take the stress off the adrenals. I probably could have eaten less food, but then my body would have rebuilt slower and it would have taken more time to heal. I'm actually still insulin resistant but my adrenals have healed. I was eating only small portions of meat, nonstarchy vegetables, and nuts before I started this and I couldn't lose a pound on 900 calories a day. Now I eat between 1800 and 2100 calories a day and i still lose weight. It's because my adrenals and thyroid work better now. Remember I was her patient and believe me, Dr. S wants you to eat. Also, she has raised her idea of carb allowance since the first book. She would only start you out at 15 grams per meal if your adrenals were perfectly healthy and probably wouldn't keep you there for very long. She started me at 25 grams per meal and I had the worst metabolism type.
I do try to choose things low on the glycemic scale.

I don't presume to tell anyone what's right for them, but you asked, so I shared. Nobody wants to gain weight, but for people with burned out adrenals, you have no choice if you want to actually heal your metabolism.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 18:07

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

That was only 36 carbs? Geez, must the variety, as ArticCat said. I'm still afraid of adding so many carbs, but I'm doing it anyway. I'm averaging around 25 carbs three times a day, with a couple more thrown in as snacks.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: zone
Stats: 205/165/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:

ArticCat,

Thanks for the kind words. I do that to get all my nutrients in and the nutritionist thought I was doing it perfectly. It ismore work to get that much variety but I find that if I just eat one thing, I get bored and this allows me to make dishes that have various components like stew so I don't have to eat everything separately all the time.

It takes a long time to heal and I understand why people get impatient. I have actually healed my adrenals and am still working to get insulin sensitive again. I always feel like I want to go back on a starvation diet to lose weight faster. But I know I never will because I'm deathly afraid not to have working adrenal glands. I also like the freedom of eating whatever I want as long as I watch the amounts. I am never hungry eating this way; in fact, i'm usually so full I don't want the next meal. But I eat it anyway because one time I asked Dr. S. what hunger had to do with it and she said "nothing". If your metabolism is down-shifted you will not be hungry but you still need to eat.

KSRT
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 05:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

KSRT, keep on doing what you're doing. I admire that you're sticking to your guns. It's not easy, especially with the pervasive diet culture in our country.

Kudos to you!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 02:47
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein!!
Stats: -/-/- Female 162 cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 1600%

Wow I just recieved the cookbooks in the mail, and they look FANTASTIC!! I would say that it is worth the $ for all the variety and new ideas.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 12:59

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings to Bawdy Wench and Artic Cat--
I'm just starting Schwarzbein and am so far very pleased. I like to Mexicanize the meals.
Today's Breakfast:
Flourless bread slice, toasted, with Irish Kerrygold butter--divine...Then tomotoes with onion flakes and cumin braised in the pan to reduce the liquid (if canned tomatoes), scramble the eggs with Mexican or Monterey Jack cheese. (Fresh tomatoes cooked in olive oil are the best, but they're expensive now (March 1)). Then add avocado--it's cheap and in season now.
It leaves me a very happy camper!
I'm very pleased with this Schwarzbein approach so far and I'm combining it with the Women to Women vitamins and progesterone cream.
I wear a pedometer at all times--it's midmorning and I already have 2.75 miles logged on. Probably 4.5 miles by bedtime.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-06, 15:59
Organic Lifestyle

BF:

That sounds like a delicious breakfast. My breakfasts are never as exciting because I always have to rush to work, so I can leave in time to go to a yoga class or the gym, but I tried one of the schwarzbein recipes for a frittata last weekend with cream cheese and avocados. Really good. I cooked 3 meals out of her cookbook this week. All of them very really good. I recommend them.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 09:58

BF:

Artic Cat,
Thank you for your very helpful post on February 20, 2006 regarding your typical day of meals guidelines. It was so good I printed it and have it in my Scwarzbein folder for study and referral. Also, your progress of 86% is remarkable and inspiring. Maybe you have already reached your goal by now. In any case, congratulations and thanks for posting.

Last edited by santabarb : Mon, Mar-06-06 at 10:03.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 10:10

BF:

Krst,
You mention that Schwarzbein recommends not 15 grams of carb at a meal as a guideline any more, but has increased it to 25 carbs. I don't know anything about my adrenal gland health, but it sounds like sticking to only15 grams could be detrimental. It seems to me that if I increase the protein amount then I can increase the carbs so the ratio remains constant. Anyone have any input to offer here?
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 17:52
Organic Lifestyle

BF:

The guidlines I use for myself are about 2:1 carbs to proteins. And I try to get 30 carbs:15 proteins. Santabarb, I'm glad that I have helped you That makes me glad I stick around on the forums. To answer your question about my "Goal". An interesting thing happened this morning. I got on the scale and I weighed 135, which I have been hovering around for awhile, but then I realized that the BMI that my scale calculates (like the hand held ones) came in at the lowest I have ever seen it, which made me realize that I am really started to lose the fat, but replace it with muscles (I started yoga 6 weeks ago). So I just want to remind all you ladies, that a weight goal is very subjective. I may never reach 130, but it may be because I have some great muscle tone.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 05:47
Registered Member

Plan: Nondieting/Moderation
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Wink Keep up the good work!

ArticCat -

I would love to weigh 130....sigh!

Thanks for all of your posts.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 10:49
Organic Lifestyle

BF:

I'm not expected to ever weigh 130 now. I don't think that is a healthy weight if I have the right balance of muscle. It was a very interesting realization. But very welcome.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%

Ksrt-
I noticed that you had milk with a few of your meals (or non-fat yogurt). Isn't milk a no-no (along with non-fat yogurt)? Did you just decide you were going to eat these things anyway? What % of milk do you drink (skim, 2%, whole)? Thanks for answering all of my questions!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 22:10
Organic Lifestyle

BF:

Yogurt is not a no no, but it should be whole milk yogurt and preferably plain and then add your own stuff to it. Almost all low fat or non fat yogurt contain sugar additives, especially flavored ones. I often eat whole milk yogurt as a snack. Same goes for milk. it is not a no-no if your are insulin resistent and if you do drink it should be whole milk because the fats will help slow down the absorbtion of the sugar. And it should be organic. I had trouble with the whole milk/yogurt concept at first, but now it is what I do and I have had no trouble with it in the past few years.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 10:46
Registered Member

Plan: zone
Stats: 205/165/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Nicole,

Hey I'm mom to 3 boys as well. Anyway, Articat is right about having to drink milk or yogurt with fat. I, however, about gagged on whole fat everything and I was told that as long as my meal had other fat in it, i was fine with non-fat. So i drink skim milk and non-fat yogurt and make sure my meal has other good fat, like usually almonds or macadamia nuts. I do get my stuff organic so it doesn't have any additives and I add flavored extracts if I want flavor but i just stick with plain.

Good Luck.

KSRT