Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 12:24

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen B
Arachodonic acid can actually aggravate or cause any inflammation or constriction problem, like asthma, which is inflammation of the airways.

I have been off grains, sugar, legumes, soy for quite some time and yet my asthma/inflammation is still bothering me (everything else seems to have cleared up) The meat/eggs program with high fat will only work if I buy only free range products as I am also sensitive to arachodonic acid. I am now in the process of eliminating dairy to see if that helps but then what is left to eat?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 18:42
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

The list of foods I eat is very small indeed. I've just gotten used to not having much variety. My hunger is so low that I don't really care anymore about variety, recipes, etc. If I could, I'd just quit eating altogether. It seems the only time I felt pretty good was when I was fasting.

I basically eat grass-fed meats and fats, wild fish, free-range Omega 3 eggs, ghee (the only dairy I eat - it has no casein or lactose), coconut & CO, cultured veggies (small serving every day), occasional nuts (almond, pecan), flaxseeds, walnut oil mayonnaise.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 18:46
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen B
The list of foods I eat is very small indeed. I've just gotten used to not having much variety. My hunger is so low that I don't really care anymore about variety, recipes, etc. If I could, I'd just quit eating altogether. It seems the only time I felt pretty good was when I was fasting.

I basically eat grass-fed meats and fats, wild fish, free-range Omega 3 eggs, ghee (the only dairy I eat - it has no casein or lactose), coconut & CO, cultured veggies (small serving every day), occasional nuts (almond, pecan), flaxseeds, walnut oil mayonnaise.

Jen I am with ya. My meals are pretty simple and it works for me...
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 13:30
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

There is something about eating high fat (75%), moderate protein (20%), and very low carbs (5%) that, for me, creates a whole new perspective about food, unlike I've ever felt before. It's as if food gets relegated to a little corner of my awareness that is reserved only for "physical sustenance." Food no longer feels like it's tied in with emotion, celebration, cravings, etc. I'm not pulled toward indulgence by the clock, by the calendar, or by emotional discomforts and longings. I simply eat when I am hungry until I am satisfied; then it's out of my mind for most of the day.

For me, there's definitely a feeling of eating to live rather than living to eat. My priorities are all shifted around now. I used to be enamored with gourmet food and the subtle, savory nuances of gastronomical delights. Now, I simply don't care. It's not that I don't like sumptuous food. These days, a fatty ribeye grilled rare with a touch of salt is a culinary masterpiece.

The freedom I'm enjoying with this shift in priorities is exquisite, and I have no intention of reintroducing foods that I know would be distracting for me. To paraphrase a friend of mine: "My health and my peace of mind is much more important to me than the party in my mouth."
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 17:46

Plan: the one that works for me
Stats: 220/214/180 Female tall
BF:
Progress: 15%

Well said Jen.
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 08:04
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 140/138/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise02
I do remember that, when I did a low fat diet years ago after my children were born, my hair fell out, what was left was thin and my nails were in terrible condition. My skin was horribly dry and lackluster.

Ditto me. I, who used to have such shiny, thick lustrous hair, and a skin that glowed without any facial or night cream, suddenly landed with dry lustreless hair and skin on the D Ornish diet. The shine in my hair and skin came right back -- I think in a matter of weeks -- when I began Atkins --
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 08:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

So true, Jen -- I couldn't have put it better --
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 08:41

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Jen, I feel the same way on my 65% fat, 25% protein & 10% carbs WOE: finally at peace after 35 years of yo-yoing and feeling miserable. Now I feel and live like a "normal" person.
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 16:44
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I have to second (or third) that...I feel better than I have ever felt on 65-70% fat and between 20-60g carbs. Not only are my starch cravings gone (and chip cravings, which I think were really my body screaming for fat!) but my skin has cleared up and looks fantastic. And I may be crazy, but my hair colour has suddenly gotten a boost - all the red is coming out, and it's not from the sun.

Jen, I love your coconut oil 'cookie' idea! I take 1-2T a day just off the spoon or in some coconut milk, but the cookie would be more fun. And a perfect lunch, since I am so rarely hungry then.
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 23:18
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnp
I am attaching a link for a great article here. It is a medical research article on kidney health and protein intake. I thought some may still be afraid of m/e because of the myth about kidney damage. It is a pdf so you need Adobe Acrobat to read it. I hope you find it helpful. Have a great day. I'll CBL.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.c...3-7075-2-25.pdf

lynnp, the weblink doesn't seem to be working -- I was interested in reading it -- could you give it again, please
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 23:32
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Home-made Ghee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
Jen..
thanks sooo much for that tip on the ghee! my son is casein intolerant!! he cant eat butter and so i was told for recipes with butter...the only thing i could use for him was fleishmanns unsalted margarine because it is the only butter or marg out there that is casein free! i really DESPISE the idea of giving him margarine!! So i am THRILLED to find out about Ghee being casein free!! i dont care how much it costs..its worth it!! THanks sooo much for this most awesome discovery!! it is freeing!
karen

We in India make home-made ghee. It's quite easy to make. Here's how :-
Boil whole fat milk.
Refrigerate overnight.
Skim off the thick cream, and place in a collection bowl, and refrigerate.
Repeat this cream collection for several days, until you have a bowl full of cream.
Now, churn this (or whip it) cream until it turns into butter. Takes about 10-15 minutes by hand.
Now melt this butter over a stove (moderate heat), constantly stirring it with a spoon or spatula.
The butter will begin melting into transparent liquid -- which is ghee.
A white residue will begin forming. I like to keep stirring it on heat until the residue turns a rosy brown (the ghee gives off a heavenly aroma), add a smidegen of salt -- just a few grains -- makes the ghee grainy.
Now, remove from heat, and strain the ghee out and bottle it.
The brown residue is delicious too.
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 21:16

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Reading thru this amazing thread to get more inspiration. Thank you.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 07:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterly
Boil whole fat milk.
Refrigerate overnight.
Repeat this cream collection for several days, until you have a bowl full of cream.
Now, churn this (or whip it) cream until it turns into butter. Takes about 10-15 minutes by hand.
Now melt this butter over a stove (moderate heat), constantly stirring it with a spoon or spatula.
The butter will begin melting into transparent liquid -- which is ghee.
A white residue will begin forming. I like to keep stirring it on heat until the residue turns a rosy brown (the ghee gives off a heavenly aroma), add a smidegen of salt -- just a few grains -- makes the ghee grainy.
Now, remove from heat, and strain the ghee out and bottle it.
The brown residue is delicious too.

What does one do with Brown residue? (I did not mean to sound like Dr Suess... )
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 14:33

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 451/434/287 Female 5'9"
BF:62%
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterly
Boil whole fat milk.
Refrigerate overnight.

Do you keep re-boiling the same milk?
Thanks!
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%

I believe http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.c...2/1/25/abstract is the article (abstract) that Lynn cites, for those who want to see text without pdf characteristics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnp
I am attaching a link for a great article here. It is a medical research article on kidney health and protein intake. I thought some may still be afraid of m/e because of the myth about kidney damage.... http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.c...3-7075-2-25.pdf
Looks interesting.
Quote:
Dietary protein intake and renal function
William F Martin, Lawrence E Armstrong and Nancy R Rodriguez
Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:25 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-25
Published 20 September 2005
Abstract: Recent trends in weight loss diets have led to a substantial increase in protein intake by individuals. As a result, the safety of habitually consuming dietary protein in excess of recommended intakes has been questioned. In particular, there is concern that high protein intake may promote renal damage by chronically increasing glomerular pressure and hyperfiltration. There is, however, a serious question as to whether there is significant evidence to support this relationship in healthy individuals. In fact, some studies suggest that hyperfiltration, the purported mechanism for renal damage, is a normal adaptative mechanism that occurs in response to several physiological conditions. This paper reviews the available evidence that increased dietary protein intake is a health concern in terms of the potential to initiate or promote renal disease. While protein restriction may be appropriate for treatment of existing kidney disease, we find no significant evidence for a detrimental effect of high protein intakes on kidney function in healthy persons after centuries of a high protein Western diet.