Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 21:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/288.2/199 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:38%/??/25%
Progress: 5%

Hey All my low carb friends

I am glad that we got the fun part of this challenge back in order!! Thank you Sally~~~ EVERYONE PLEASE REMEMBER WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER FOR SUPPORT NOT TO BADGER OR COMPETE WITH EACH OTHER~~BUT RATHER LOVE CARE AND NUTURE EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am personally very pleased to hear from each and everyone of you and I love reading about how your day is going~~good or bad. Cuz when someone comes forth and shares a bad carb day that is the first step to getting back on track and I am honored they choice to share with us. And it keeps it real. We can't always be good. We are all only human.

So please share with us and you just don't know how you can inspire someone just by sharing and caring~~~mayeb someone else is having a bad day and they can relate and in turn don't feel so alone. That could be enough to get them (and you) back on track to a healthy life!!

So share and hug!!

I love you guys!!
Have a great low carb day!!
Sonja
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 05:53

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Unhappy Not off to a good start

Well, I said my challenge would be exercise. I bought a set of five pound weights, began using them a few days ago and aggravated an already sore muscle in my neck. It hurts like crazy. So, two days in October pass and I have not done anything.

I moved my Health Rider in the living room hoping THAT will motivate me to start moving my body. I've been in a major stall since early May (Sally, I know how you feel!!).

Has anyone ever used L-Glutamine? I've read so many books now and all of the supplements and vitamins are becoming vegetable soup in my brain. I'd rather hear personal experiences anyway. Much of that 'science talk' is over my head. Anyone had any luck using it?

All of you are off to a fantastic beginning!! Way to go

Everyone have a wonderful day

Kathy
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 05:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Morning

Yesterday was a little high on carbs, but not so high that I have the "carb hangover", but my hands are definitly swollen. I find that PMS has little gremlins attached to it, so will TOM please arrive. I've finished whining now, but then I'm sure you all can understand where I'm coming from. LOL
So the temperature was 72 in the shade yesterday and today it's supposed to only get to 50 in the sun. Wow, 30 degrees difference from one day to the next, NNNNNOOOOOO, we haven't damaged our ozone layer have we.
Well the dishes are waiting for me in the sink, the laundry needs to be put away, and the master bedroom is a mess, atleast it's raining so I feel like staying in today.
I hope that everyone is still with us, that we are all successful today and that if anyone needs support that they come for a good .
Love ya all Jo-Ann
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 07:23

Stats: 293/288.2/199 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:38%/??/25%
Progress: 5%

Good MOrning All

Well over night the magic of the crock had produced a yummy pork loin roast with a bone in it. I seasoned with a 1/2 can of dt sierra mist and some good seasoning zesty italian (about 1/4 of the packet) I love it this way. And can't wait to have some in a bit.

Yesturday I went to the club and took a class that was concentrated on core strength (abs) it was very slow and concentrated movements and really got a good workout without over doing it. I can feel I used my abs but didn't over do it.So back to the club today for just cardio. I'm excited and can't wait to go!!! Only 4 days till another date!!!

Keep up the good work

Sonja
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 07:28

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%
Default L-glutamine

I have been taking L-glutamine every morning before I work out for about 6 weeks. I find that it does help me with my workouts. I'm redoing induction right now, and although the workouts are harder than they were, they're not nearly as exhausting as they were the first time I was on induction back in July.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 09:09

Plan: General Lowcarbing
Stats: 188/185/150
BF:
Progress: 8%

Doing good so far....makes me wish I had joined a No Cheat Challenge earlier, but in actuality it probably wouldn't have helped. I think I needed Sept. as a learning lesson (I cheated too much and didn't lose) so that I realized that cheating a little here and there IS going to prevent me from losing. I just started taking the L-Glutamine this week. Haven't "noticed" anything different with sugar cravings or workouts. Does it take a few days to "kick in?" The real test for me on this No Cheat Challenge will be this weekend. Weekends are when I am weak and when I highcarb.

Joann, I noticed the same thing as you did --when I high carb my hands get swollen. I notice it because I can't get my wedding ring off my finger- but when I lowcarb (and don't cheat) I can take the ring off.

Roche
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 09:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 252/247/135
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi everyone-

After reading Sonja's loving post I think I need to come here for help. I have been posting in my journal but this is probably a better place to reach more people. HELP! Sorry - had to get it out!

I started induction on Friday 9/27 but never really started. I have struggled since then - day in and day out - I'll do about 50% good and then fall off the wagon and it happens every day this way. I know it partly my "training" - former WWer/low-fat eater - and I think it is just my mindset. (Sometimes too much info is not a good thing ) Plus I question my "laziness" and "committment" cuz I have been lazy and I don't feel I am committed. I know these are all things I ultimately need to face myself. I have already received such kind and thoughtful words and helpful suggestions. The support on these boards are unbelieveable. This program couldn't be any easier - it fits in anywhere you go. I guess the application part is what I am having trouble with. Thanks for listening - I am not giving up!

Patty
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 10:03

Stats: 195/182/135
BF:
Progress: 22%
Smile Count Me In!

I would like to join this challenge please!!! I have survived the two week induction (cheated once when I had a beer with hubby). I only lost one more pound this week, and was disappointed til I dug out my Atkins book and read that 8 lbs was an average loss on induction for people who want to lose more than 50 lbs so now I feel better. And the best news is that this morning my hubby asked if he could diet with me because his pants don't fit. So - here I go!! No cheats til Hallowe'en, and then we'll do the November challenge, right!!! Thanks guys - you keep me on track.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 11:15

BF:

Hi Patty, glad to see you here. Maybe we can help each other out. I'm typing down some things I ate while on induction and maybe that will give you some ideas. Lots of eggs in a variety of ways (omelettes with ham & cheese or mushrooms and cheese etc, deviled eggs w/ mayo, dijon mustard & paprika, egg burritos from MCDs - no tortilla, pepperoni & string cheese, eggs over easy with zuccini pancakes - sort of a hash brown substitute,
7 layer salad - made w/ mayo & splenda, grilled chicken with veggies, fake french toast, cesar salads) and I don't know if technically legal but I got a crustless deep dish pizza recipe off one of the boards - if you want, i'll send it to you. Plan your menus to have lots of variety and you won't feel so deprived.

(I should talk, after induction I became queen of cheating. ) Otherwise, I wouldn't be here.....!

Good luck, and try to get through just one day at a time. It's a great feeling to wake up in the morning and to know that the day before you stayed on plan. Just think about that feeling you want to have every morning when you wake up. Don't worry about one week or two weeks right now.

Take care, Roche
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 11:43

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 220/160.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Talking Good morning all .....

Just stopping in and seeing that the fun is back into the thread .. that's great ....

SEWCRAZY ... Welcome -- and that's excellent that your hubby wants to work on his weight too .. .that would make things so much easier ...
&nbsp&nbsp&nbspA Thanksgiving challenge is already set up, so I think I'm gonna let them take over the November month (besides .. that's MY birthday month, and I'm gonna enjoy it ), but some of us need shorter goals (us=me) .. that's why we've set up these monthly threads ..

PATTY ... You started induction 9/27.. you a newby to this way of life?? This will take awhile to get into a habit, and old comfortable habits are very easy to fall back into .. it takes 21 days to create a habit. I'm not really TOTALLY familiar with Atkins, what is the length of induction the first time around?? You're right, we've been brought up low fat, low calorie and now we're trying to reprogram ourselves for higher fat, higher calorie ... Use the support of this board whenever you need it .. the stuff I've learned here since I joined in April is WORTH IT !!!! You Can Do IT .. and we'll be behind you all the way ...

ROCHE ... I fully understand, September I kicked back, and ended up with too many carb fests; so the scale really didn't do much. My hands and feet swell too when I eat too many carbs... WTG however on getting back on track .. !!!

SLIMMIN ... I question L-Glutamine too .. is this in energy booster ??? As in make a person hyper ??? I picked up L-Carnitine yesterday and giving it a try ... but am afraid of "Energy boosters? as I get hyper really quick and dizzy spells -- that always happened in my days of over the counter appetite suppressants .. and I was curious if this L-Glutamine does the same thing???

SONJA ... thank you for your post regarding the fun being brought back into this thread .. Yummy your pork roast sounds really good, and gotcha addicted to using the soda for tenderizing .. sounds wierd, but results are to die for

JOANN ... Right before TOM is my worst temptations for carbs, and find that if I resist, however, TOM is alot more livable -- This way of eating has DEFINATELY made a difference in that way .. Thats one of the reasons that I've endured this stall so long ..

KATHY ... I'm sorry to hear that you hurt yourself with your exercising... having artheritis in my neck and shoulders, I can truly relate .. and I'm sorry that your stuck like me too .. but keep the fait IT WILL BREAK!!! There are other people that have been forever in a stall and broke a couple of months ago .. It's yours and my turn now

CARIANNE ... I'm glad you're getting that little extra inspiration when you open the pantry or refridge .. Night eating is a horrid culprit .. mine is weekends ..

SUZE ... I like your change word for Defeat ... "ROAD BUMPS" because that's all goofs are .. either roadbumps, or learning experiences ... Keep that mindset

VICKI ... I can't say often enough --- WELCOME WELCOME and we'll help chase away that ChocoCake monster !!!

Okay everyone .. have a super duper LC day .. and I'll talk later ..
I've been good, but scale is nothing to write home about

I guess I gotta get back to work .. I'll talk to everyone later ..
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 11:50
Registered Member

Stats: 277/277/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb COUNT DOWN!!!!

15 Hi, I am so excited to join this count down.....
Everyone is doing so well!!!
Keep it up, as for me I have fallen off the wagon (so to speak) earlier this month (Oct 1st to be exact), and I was told by my friend that there was this count down.....This I know will motivate me to stay on my low-carb path.
Wish me well!
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 12:21

Plan: VLC
Stats: 248/188.8/148 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Thumbs up Count me in!

This is such a good idea! I'm in. Started back LCing after 1 1/2 weeks off from the flu on Monday. Going well so far! I had only Started my LC plan a few weeks before then, so it's still real new to me. I'm loving it so far though!!!!!!!

Let's see... current stats: 199 as of this morning! Can't wait to see what I am on Halloween!!!!!

Have a great month everyone!!!!!!!!

~Kate
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 13:43

BF:

How's this for not feeling deprived but also not cheating? I tried out the Vanilla Cream Coke submitted by Chelle over at www.lowcarbfriends.com. MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm........

1 can diet coke (I used caffeine free)
1-2 tsp. sugar free vanilla syrup
1-2 tsp. whipping cream

Pour in glass over ice. Mix well.

It's so good! Roche
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 14:48

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 157/147.5/138 Female 5 ft 6 1/2 in
BF:?/26%/24%
Progress: 50%
Default more on L-glutamine

I don't find that L-glutamine is an energy booster. I take it to help for endurance and to rebuild muscles. I work out a lot at a fairly high intensity level, and I want to ensure that I'm not using my muscles for energy.

There are some threads in the exercise forums that discuss L-glutamine which will provide much more information than I can. I just know that since I started taking it, I have stopped getting that "dead" feeling in my legs when I run.

Here's a link to one of the best threads, with lots of good information:
thread on L-glutamine

Last edited by slimmin : Thu, Oct-03-02 at 15:04.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 16:11

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Smile Thank you!

Wow! Thank you so much Slimmin for the information on glutamine. The link to what Dan had to say really helped. I must have been looking in the wrong place yesterday. What a wealth of information this forum is!

Sally, you're right! It's time whooshie showed up! Ooooooo, whoooooooshie, where arrrrrre yoooooou?!?!?!?

I actually RODE my Health Rider this morning (be still my heart). I will need to hop back on tonight for a little while.

Hope everyone's had a good day today and will have a nice relaxing evening.

Kathy