Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-23, 17:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Obesity treatment could offer dramatic weight loss without surgery or nausea

link to Science Daily article

Date: March 29, 2023
Source: American Chemical Society

Quote:
Imagine getting the benefits of gastric bypass surgery without going under the knife -- a new class of compounds could do just that. In lab animals, these potential treatments reduce weight dramatically and lower blood glucose. The injectable compounds also avoid the side effects of nausea and vomiting that are common with current weight-loss and diabetes drugs. Now, scientists report that the new treatment not only reduces eating but also boosts calorie burn.

The researchers will present their results today at the spring meeting of the American Chemical Society (ACS).

"Obesity and diabetes were the pandemic before the COVID-19 pandemic," says Robert Doyle, Ph.D., one of the two principal investigators on the project, along with Christian Roth, M.D. "They are a massive problem, and they are projected to only get worse."

Gastric bypass and related procedures, known collectively as bariatric surgery, offer one solution, often resulting in lasting weight loss and even remission of diabetes. But these operations carry risk, aren't suitable for everyone and aren't accessible for many of the hundreds of millions of people worldwide who are obese or diabetic. As an alternative, Doyle says, they could tackle their metabolic problems with a drug that replicates the long-term benefits of surgery.

Those benefits are linked to a post-bypass-surgery change in the gut's secretion levels of certain hormones -- including glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) and peptide YY (PYY) -- that signal fullness, curb appetite and normalize blood sugar. Current drugs that aim to replicate this effect primarily activate cellular receptors for GLP-1 in the pancreas and brain. That approach has shown great success in reducing weight and treating type 2 diabetes, drawing a lot of social media postings from celebrities in recent months. But many people can't tolerate the drugs' side effects, says Doyle. "Within a year, 80 to 90% of people who start on these drugs are no longer taking them." Doyle is at Syracuse University and SUNY Upstate Medical University, and Roth is at Seattle Children's Research Institute.

To address that drawback, various researchers have designed other treatments that interact with more than one type of gut hormone receptor. For example, Doyle's group created a peptide that activates two receptors for PYY, as well as the receptor for GLP-1. Dubbed GEP44, this compound caused obese rats to eat up to 80% less than they would typically eat. By the end of one 16-day study, they lost an average of 12% of their weight. That was more than three times the amount lost by rats treated with liraglutide, an injected drug that activates only the GLP-1 receptor and that is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for treating obesity. In contrast to liraglutide, tests with GEP44 in rats and shrews (a mammal that, unlike rats, is capable of vomiting) revealed no sign of nausea or vomiting, possibly because activating multiple receptors may cancel out the intracellular signaling pathway that drives those symptoms, Doyle says.

In its latest results, his team is now reporting that the weight loss caused by GEP44 can be traced not only to decreased eating, but also to higher energy expenditure, which can take the form of increased movement, heart rate or body temperature.

GEP44 has a half-life in the body of only about an hour, but Doyle's group has just designed a peptide with a much longer half-life. That means it could be injected only once or twice a week instead of multiple times a day. The researchers are now reporting that rats treated with this next-generation compound keep their new, slimmer physique even after treatment ends, which often isn't the case with currently approved drugs, Doyle says.

But weight loss isn't the only benefit of the peptide treatments. They also reduce blood sugar by pulling glucose into muscle tissue, where it can be used as fuel, and by converting certain cells in the pancreas into insulin-producing cells, helping replace those that are damaged by diabetes. And there's yet another benefit: Doyle and Heath Schmidt, Ph.D., of the University of Pennsylvania, recently reported that GEP44 reduces the craving for opioids such as fentanyl in rats. If that also works in humans, Doyle says, it could help addicts quit the illicit drugs or fend off a relapse.

The researchers have filed for patents on their compounds, and they plan to test their peptides in primates. They will also study how the treatments change gene expression and rewire the brain, and what that could mean for these compounds, as well as other types of medication.

"For a long time, we didn't think you could separate weight reduction from nausea and vomiting, because they're linked to the exact same part of the brain," Doyle says. But the researchers have now uncoupled those two pathways -- and that has implications for chemotherapy, which causes similar side effects. "What if we could maintain the benefit of chemotherapy drugs but tell the part of the brain that causes vomiting and nausea to knock it off? Then we could dose patients at a higher level, so they would have a better prognosis, and they would also have a better quality of life while undergoing chemotherapy," he says.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-23, 19:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

This is wonderful, thanks for sharing. I've been on Saxenda,
a glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) since January 9th and I've lost 30 pounds. Saxenda has made low carb and intermittent fasting possible because I had developed a binge eating disorder after the death of my mother and sister. My doctor said I was on the verge of receiving a pre-diabetes diagnosis. I feel like it's given me a new lease on life!

I know some people judge this. But I don't care. Hollywood actresses and the Kardashians are always going to abuse drugs to achieve their ideals. Not my problem. It's also relatively new research so even doctors and insurance companies are going through a learning curve.

Obesity and diabetes were the pandemic before the pandemic. Truer words were never spoken. And until governments do the same public health campaigns they did for smoking and booze, until they regulate the oceanic flow of sugar onto supermarket shelves, we need all the help we can get!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-23, 07:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
"For a long time, we didn't think you could separate weight reduction from nausea and vomiting, because they're linked to the exact same part of the brain," Doyle says. But the researchers have now uncoupled those two pathways -- and that has implications for chemotherapy, which causes similar side effects. "What if we could maintain the benefit of chemotherapy drugs but tell the part of the brain that causes vomiting and nausea to knock it off? Then we could dose patients at a higher level, so they would have a better prognosis, and they would also have a better quality of life while undergoing chemotherapy," he says.

What the HAIL are they talking about? THEY can't separate weight reduction from nausea and vomiting because they are making drugs for profit, right? Aren't they scientists or something?

It is from the Chemical Society, or I'd get mad. Outrageous claims are no longer surprising.

It's more "suppress the symptoms instead of the cause" that they call treatment, that's all. And no good can come of this, and I think more people should know about this important paper about treatment strategies.

Press-pulse: a novel therapeutic strategy for the metabolic management of cancer which everyone needs to know about, a clinical approach he's been developing.

Also, I just watched this video on Youtube:

You've Been Lied to about CANCER!!! [with Dr Thomas Seyfried, PhD]

So my reaction was of dismay. Dr Seyfried is coming out with a new paper soon. This can be a lever that gets patients better care, and after-care. It's an excellent talk, not that techy. Both are strong advocates for good doctoring. And admit to each other than not caring about their career makes this quality an essential to do so.

Which I wish was not so terribly ironic.