Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 00:48

Plan: The Zone Diet My Way
Stats: 212/212/145 Female 64 inches
BF:34%
Progress: 0%
Default Hi New to counting carbs

Hi I have always been learry of low carb diets but I had tried the zone diet before and remembered how much energy I had while on it and I lost 20 lbs in a few months. So after being on Jorge cruise 3 hour Diet I have found its a close comparision to The Zone Diet except it includes 2 100 calorie snacks which were usually the (100 calories snack paks-mostly carb loaded snacks). Also the plan really doesn't count carbs but the 3 meals are 40-30-30% of a carb-protein-fat ratio.
I decided to fine tune it though. I limit myself to 99 carbs a day. Is that too high? I know that Atkins and other low carb plans are not as satisfying to me so I just want to lower my daily carbs. I still do the 40-30-30 plan for my 3 main meals and what I changed was my 2 snacks to more protein type snacks like string cheese or hardboiled eggs. I still have my potato at dinner/half eng muffin for breakfast, and fruits.
I am hoping it will work for me. Anyone who cares to comment , please do.
I did get the Body Gem Analyser test to figure my resting metabolism rate..which is 2160. To lose 2 pounds a week I used this daily RMR to figure my daily calorie limit. Here is how I did it.
I multiplyed my RMR by 7 (7 days a week) 15120 Then because it takes 3500 to lose 1 pound and multipled that by 2 (for 2 pound weight loss per week)
and subtracted that (7000) from 15,120 which equals 8160 and dived that number by 7 (for 7 days in a week) and came up with my daily calorie limit to lose 2 pounds per week which is 1160.
In summary I count my calories and my carbs. This means I have 1160 calories and 99 carbs per day. Right now I am sedentary bacause of knee surgery but of course I will up my calories when I start exercising. Also I do not usually go clear to 99 carbs per day. It depends on what I eat that day (55-99 carbs) I hope I explained this right. Just need to know if 99 carbs is not too much to lose weight on. Fast loss is not what I am looking for but a 2 pd loss per week is better since I feel it will be more doable for me. TYIA for all responses
Laura
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 14:18
Got another Harley

Plan: LOW CARB
Stats: 300/165/135 Female 5"04"
BF:44/29/21
Progress: 82%
Unhappy

omg 99 carbs a day...

I have twenty or less a day and the weight has melted off.. if i have 30 carbs, i only maintain. i think for me if i had 99 i would gain....
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 06:27

Plan: My Own
Stats: 232/224.5/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 10%

I try to stay under 100 carbs a day,and it has worked well for me. I do have days where I go over though. I lost 117 lbs in 2003 doing it this way. I have since gained 50lbs back sadly. I so deserved that 50lbs though. I never had my head wrapped around the fact that I had to make the changes in my eating habits a WOL, not just till I lost the weight and could go back stuffing my face with anything I wanted.
I have a couple of friends that love Atkins. I personally just don't feel satisfied with that low of carbs.
So I say do whatever works best for you,and you can do it for the long haul.

Good Luck!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 07:18

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

If it works for you, then it works for you. No two people are the same.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 09:58
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

I guess 99 is good if you're doing a 40/30/30.

My ratios are about 15% carbohydrate, 25% protien, 60% fat. Today I'm around 99 grams of carbohydrate, but I'm having a 3500 calorie day. (I've been undereating for a long time, so this is balancing things out).
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 22:56

Plan: The Zone Diet My Way
Stats: 212/212/145 Female 64 inches
BF:34%
Progress: 0%

Great Chloe, Lets b frinds We may have allot of low carb tips etc in common. I tried to email you but it would not let me???
My mail is ladybugplus~neo.rr.com My MSN messaeger is lbp_~hotmail.com
or Yahoo Mssenger, AIM, AOL Buddy list is
ladybugplus
laura
Give me a hollar Chloe