Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-19, 08:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I also pop open a charcoal capsule and let it get swished around for a while before brushing. (Rinsing best done in the shower unless you are shooting a low budget horror movie.) This is good for cleaning stains and freshening breath.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-19, 20:00

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
The blood-root is powerful stuff. I have some preparations I use to treat minor skin cancers due to the Sun. Unlike with freezing, these never come back.

My husband needs that! He's been having those things frozen off every 6 months & it's just too expensive. Is the preparation something you make, or is it from a store?
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-19, 14:19

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I get it at Vitacost. It's an extract in alcohol.

https://www.vitacost.com/eclectic-institute-bloodroot

I suppose if you are anti-alcohol, you can find it with different carriers.

It's liquid and I just put a few drops on the toothbrush. I suppose you could just put it on your troubled skin patches, but I have no real knowledge of that, so google it.

Bob
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-19, 15:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I get it at Vitacost. It's an extract in alcohol.

https://www.vitacost.com/eclectic-institute-bloodroot

I suppose if you are anti-alcohol, you can find it with different carriers.

It's liquid and I just put a few drops on the toothbrush. I suppose you could just put it on your troubled skin patches, but I have no real knowledge of that, so google it.

Bob

Thanks! No problem with alcohol - just wish I could drink the good-tasting stuff.

I've been looking into a low-carb wine, but I'm not sure if the taste is worth the cost. I'm going to have a chat next month with the relatives who have a winery & see what they think.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-19, 19:37

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Thanks! No problem with alcohol - just wish I could drink the good-tasting stuff.

I've been looking into a low-carb wine, but I'm not sure if the taste is worth the cost. I'm going to have a chat next month with the relatives who have a winery & see what they think.

If you're talking about Fit Vine, I wouldn't suggest wasting your money on it it. DD2 gave us a couple of bottles to try, and we didn't care for it at all - sure, it tasted like alcohol, but I couldn't detect any actual wine flavor at all to it. Every time I took a sip of it, I kept trying to figure out why anyone would bother with it - just to try to look cool while everyone else is drinking wine with flavor? As in "La-la-la! Look at me - I'm sticking to my LC diet, and still get to drink wine!"

I have a very, very low tolerance to alcohol, so seldom ever drink more than an ounce of wine. I'd rather enjoy that little ounce of good tasting wine than drink an entire glass of the Fit Vine. It's not even that much lower in carbs than regular wine. Maybe there's some other brand that has some actual flavor though.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-19, 21:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
As in "La-la-la! Look at me - I'm sticking to my LC diet, and still get to drink wine!"

That describes so many low-carb products! Rarely do the fakes taste anything like the real thing. There are a couple things that are close enough, but for most I'd rather have just a bite of the real thing. I was in the garden yesterday & noticed that the raspberries were finally getting ripe. I found a perfectly ripe one & popped it it my mouth. Heaven!

I can't remember if that was the brand I looked at, but it's probably it.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 07:25

BF:

Quote:

Is that the dry farm wine people? Likewise, I miss it, but maybe later I will explore it.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 10:21
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
My husband needs that! He's been having those things frozen off every 6 months & it's just too expensive. Is the preparation something you make, or is it from a store?
It's "Bloodroot Paste" a brown save, and has to be used with care on small areas or warts. Native Americans know of it. Dermatologists discourage its use, but their freezing or ointments don't always work and can take weeks or more to get similar results instead of just 24 hrs or less.
Quote:
Several epidemiologic studies suggest that bloodroot-containing mouthwash, which is no longer marketed, causes leucoplakias, including a high frequency of dysplastic leucoplakias.* The mechanism for this has not yet been identified.
Perhaps why it was taken out?

*Leukoplakia is a condition that involves white patches or spots on the inside of the mouth. It can be caused by chewing tobacco, heavy smoking, and alcohol use.

https://healthyfocus.org/6-actinic-...ral-treatments/

http://therenaissancehousewife.weeb...se-with-caution

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Aug-01-19 at 10:50.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-19, 05:16

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Brushing with baking soda changes the pH in the mouth. Changes the environment, changes the bugs that can live in the new environment.
Just tried straight baking soda - works great! Going to skip the coconut oil lol.

#25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-19, 09:48

BF:

Quote:
It's "Bloodroot Paste" a brown save, and has to be used with care on small areas or warts. Native Americans know of it. Dermatologists discourage its use, but their freezing or ointments don't always work and can take weeks or more to get similar results instead of just 24 hrs or less.Perhaps why it was taken out?

*Leukoplakia is a condition that involves white patches or spots on the inside of the mouth. It can be caused by chewing tobacco, heavy smoking, and alcohol use.

https://healthyfocus.org/6-actinic-...ral-treatments/

http://therenaissancehousewife.weeb...se-with-caution

This suggests it has a immunological suppressive effect.

Also, herbs are supposed to be taken in several daily, small, doses to avoid problems, and long-term use should build in “breaks” or different combinations. It really is an art.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-19, 10:23

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Kefir is acidic and changes pH as well. I did oil pulling with coconut oil, perhaps not often enough? Anyway, now I use a blend of oils to brush with. Just a few drops in the mornings from OraWellness.

The blood-root is powerful stuff. I have some preparations I use to treat minor skin cancers due to the Sun. Unlike with freezing, these never come back.

This caught my eye because DH is going to have a spot on his face frozen by the Dermatologist. I've read that sometimes it does come back so IDK.
What mix of this stuff do you use Mike?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-19, 18:14

BF:

I put bloodroot extract on my toothpaste almost daily and have done so for years. No problems, and the periodontal disease is still under control. The periodontist says, "Just keep doing what you are doing" when I go in for a checkup.

Of course that doesn't mean it's good for everybody.

Bob
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-19, 21:53

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I just picked up (yesterday) some bloodroot powder from a sort-of local herbal company (an hour away, but a nationally known company). 2 weeks ago I had a teeth cleaning episode where I was told my teeth are essentially fine, but my gums are a mess; lots of bleeding etc. Came to realize that while I have for several years accepted that health and nutrition recommendations from "on high" haven't necessarily been in my best interests, I've never much questioned what the dentist says. I don't use flouride toothpaste on general principles, but otherwise sort of follow "the rules". After the cleaning, and another recommendation to use a particular flouride "good for the gums" toothpaste, I decided instead to go to baking soda, a softer toothbrush, and more frequent but not so aggressive brushing. I've noticed that since doing this (2 weeks) my teeth feel cleaner, more "just come from the hygienist" clean than usual. Yesterday I started putting a pinch of bloodroot powder on the toothbrush along with with the baking soda; we'll see how that goes. I did notice last night when I flossed (the first time since the cleaning, to give the inflammation in my gums a chance to quiet down) that there was no bleeding, and no pain. I am paying more attention now, and looking forward to seeing how this all proceeds.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-19, 07:00

BF:

I also use a tooth powder called ibsab. It is finely milled salt, baking soda, Prickly Ash bark, and peppermint.

It's a bit abrasive so my dentist says once a week, and not to scrub my teeth with it but to push it between my teeth and gums using a small circular pressure with the toothbrush.

After brushing with that once a week, I can feel my gums tightening against my teeth.

Also I floss daily.

40 years ago my gum disease was so aggressive, my dentist thought I would be losing my teeth. I've still got them and the dentist is amazed.

Bob
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-19, 11:10
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Got my saliva DNA sequence back from Nebula:

Serratia marcescens
--
RELATIVE ABUNDANCE
PERCENTILE
84.81%
Once established, complete eradication of the organism is often difficult.
--

That all makes sense as it has a red pigment that can cause tooth staining. It's still there, but my staining issue has been absent for over a year. Puzzling, so I must be doing something right with my oral care to hold it at bay. I had zero of the ones that cause gum disease

Still analyzing my other data, it's a huge task.
Quote:
This is just the beginning of your genomic journey. Since you've done whole genome sequencing, you'll have access to all of your DNA, even the parts scientists don't understand yet.
Microbes in a Biofilm Can Communicate With Each Other: https://www.cs.montana.edu/webworks...en/page003.html

Going to go off and brush my teeth

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Aug-08-19 at 18:55.